• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Dang it, just spent money ordering a Raptor mount and an Apex Mass Inertia [STRIKE]trigger[/STRIKE] hammer. My 4" 617 will be a pin killing machine!

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Dang it, just spent money ordering a Raptor mount and an Apex Mass Inertia trigger. My 4" 617 will be a pin killing machine!

lol. I'm thinking about red dotting my 4" also, but I'm still a little vain and don't want to ruin the look.:):

What's the trigger do? Mine is really nice as it came from the factory. Even had boss hog look at it. He didn't think it would do a lot for me to work it over much.

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    What's the trigger do? Mine is really nice as it came from the factory. Even had boss hog look at it. He didn't think it would do a lot for me to work it over much.

yes...what is this trigger you speak of? The stock trigger is already good But be it on the heavy side with the DA

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN

yes...what is this trigger you speak of? The stock trigger is already good But be it on the heavy side with the DA

Sorry, talking Apex I autotyped trigger when I meant hammer. The M.I. hammer with associated springs drops the DA trigger pull a few pounds and is supposed to be very smooth. They must have just redesigned it as the former version basically converted the revolver to DAO as it had no spur. the current version has a small spur. If I am patient and have the time, i will mount a dot and shoot some groups then repeat with the new hammer to see the effect if any.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Sorry, talking Apex I autotyped trigger when I meant hammer. The M.I. hammer with associated springs drops the DA trigger pull a few pounds and is supposed to be very smooth. They must have just redesigned it as the former version basically converted the revolver to DAO as it had no spur. the current version has a small spur. If I am patient and have the time, i will mount a dot and shoot some groups then repeat with the new hammer to see the effect if any.

Not 100% apples to apples, but I run the Apex hammer (DAO) in my 686 and absolutely love it. I ended up with about a 6 pound DA that is buttery smooth and still sets off everything I’ve tried in it. I would expect the 617 hammer produces a similar high quality trigger, weights may be different though.

I had plans to get a 617, run the Apex hammer and red dot it. It got shelves when I started seeing what the final costs would be to do how I wanted.

PatriotX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 6, 2014
    Michiana
    I went with a Wilson mainspring claiming 2lb less on DA pull, feels like 4 pounds less.

The DA on the newer 617s seems pretty beefy compared to an older 617 and a 17-3

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I went with a Wilson mainspring claiming 2lb less on DA pull, feels like 4 pounds less.

The DA on the newer 617s seems pretty beefy compared to an older 617 and a 17-3

Solid observation!
    If the DA pull on the 617 is anything like the Ruger GP100 & Taurus Tracker 990, it is not an all day enjoyable experience.
    I didn't care too much at the time b/c I only cared about the S/A pull, which was fine.
    Then I discovered when I got other 22 revolvers with decent D/A pulls, I really enjoyed the D/A.
    The pull on the SW 17-4 is absolutely wonderful, close to the Dan Wesson 54 oz 8" barrel that I'm so proud of (both bought from members here). :ingo:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Will those mounts work on a dash 0 or 1?

The -1 is the first 617 to be factory drilled and tapped for an an optics mount. I have a Raptor mount on my 617-1 with a Vortex Venom - nice combination.

Attachments

• a 1 617 vortex.jpg
      a 1 617 vortex.jpg
      82.1 KB · Views: 5

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The -1 is the first 617 to be factory drilled and tapped for an an optics mount. I have a Raptor mount on my 617-1 with a Vortex Venom - nice combination.

Cool. I have a -1. I will see how it goes with my main pistol which I just got set up with a red dot. If I decide that's the route I want to go, I'll set up my Shield next, then the 617.

Megasaki

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 1, 2020
    Bloomington
    I have experience with both. See which one your hand likes better. If all is equal, i would take the S&W. They hold or increase their value even when they are well used.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I have a suggestion but I admit my bias . . .

31183499_10216217352212113_377558252730187776_o.jpg

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I have a suggestion but I admit my bias . . .

Nice collection of classic 22 target revolvers! If my eyesight was still good enough to shoot open sights well a Model 17 or 18 would be on the "Grail Gun" list! I did pick up the 617 mentioned in post #32 as it was optics ready. I am debating on trying to acquire a 6" model too.

I have a poor man's Model 17 , a Taurus 96 that I will put a red dot on and then have a shoot off against my 617 and Single Six!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Nice collection of classic 22 target revolvers! If my eyesight was still good enough to shoot open sights well a Model 17 or 18 would be on the "Grail Gun" list! I did pick up the 617 mentioned in post #32 as it was optics ready. I am debating on trying to acquire a 6" model too.

I have a poor man's Model 17 , a Taurus 96 that I will put a red dot on and then have a shoot off against my 617 and Single Six!

Now that's my idea of a good time at the range when you do a "shoot-off" with a handfull of your guns of the same type. :rockwoot:
    Only thing better is when a friend gives you a gun to put through its paces and you get to compare it with what you have. :draw:
    Until you have to give it back, if it's better than what you have. :dunno:
    I have two guns now to do that with: 1 .22LR revolver & 1 Sig Sauer semi-auto. :)

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Now that's my idea of a good time at the range when you do a "shoot-off" with a handfull of your guns of the same type. :rockwoot:

Yeah last weekend had a contest between my 4" 617 with Vortex Venom vs my 5.5" Single Six with Ultradot - 12 shots each at 25 yards , looks like the Single Six had the slight edge this time.

Attachments

• a 1 22 617.jpg
      a 1 22 617.jpg
      54.2 KB · Views: 13
    • a 1 22 single six.jpg
      a 1 22 single six.jpg
      50.4 KB · Views: 10

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Yeah last weekend had a contest between my 4" 617 with Vortex Venom vs my 5.5" Single Six with Ultradot - 12 shots each at 25 yards , looks like the Single Six had the slight edge this time.

I was glad to click on your post & see pics & I just couldn't believe your round placement at 25 yds. :wow:
    I'm always amazed at what others are able to do.
    I'm afraid to ask it it was free hand or on a rest.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I was glad to click on your post & see pics & I just couldn't believe your round placement at 25 yds. :wow:
    I'm always amazed at what others are able to do.
    I'm afraid to ask it it was free hand or on a rest.

The targets were fired from a standing position with a two hand hold. About the only time I shoot a handgun from a rest is for testing the accuracy of a load and usually with a scope. Unless it is TC, especially the Super 14, it borders on being more rfle like.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom