• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leggdpms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Jeffersonville
    What do you guys think about the two weapons? Also I've owned the ruger lcp .380 and it was a nice gun but I sold it and have been thinking about buying a S&W Bodyguard .380 it actually seems like a more solid of a gun also seems to be a little more accurate. Just curious as to if any of you carry or own either or both weapons and which one you would considering carrying.

OneManWolfpack

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    South Bend / Mishawaka
    I prefer/own the LCP because of the trigger. I realize why you would want a long trigger pull on a gun like this in your pocket...but the bodyguard feels like eternity when pulling the trigger. The LCP has a long trigger too, but not as much. The bodyguard has a harder trigger as well, which made me far less accurate. Both are excellent guns and you'd have a hard time finding something else that conceals better.

shavedforbattle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Can't go wrong with either. I own an LCP and love it. It's my summer carry gun. It'll just ride along in cargo pockets or wherever you decide to stow it away. Good little mouse gun.

andfc

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I have an LCP, and I'd recommend it for what it is. I've put about 500 rounds through it, and the only malfunctions it's ever had were from poor grips/limp-wristing. Anything that small and light is certainly not fun to shoot, but I like the feel of the LCP's grip better than the other tiny DAO .380's (although maybe because I'm used to mine). The Sig P238 is nicer, but it's twice the price and single action, and I'm not a fan of cocked and locked in a pocket holster.

I wasn't really impressed with the ergonomics or the laser on the Bodyguard - the grip angle seems a little awkward and it's a bit of a procedure to activate the laser. I can't imagine a scenario outside of the range where it would come close to a Crimson Trace middle-finger activation on an LCP, or a grip activation on a J-frame.

Dick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Got the BG for my wife a few weeks ago. Had it out for the first time yesterday. Shot great but the laser stopped working after we put the first mag through it. Tried to take it apart, but the screw that holds it in appears to be stripped from the factory, cant get the allen wrench to bite

bud1976

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2011
    I have seen both and they have their up and downs, but I agree the laser sight in the body guard is hard to activate.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Both Are Good Pistols

I don't own either, but I have shot both.
    The Rugers trigger for me, is not as good as the SW.
    The SW slide stops open after the last round is fired, the
    Ruger does not. To me, the slide staying open after the
    last round is important.
    Both are good in the quality dept.

Crydaddy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I used to own a BG. I did not like the long pull on the trigger but other than that, it's a nice piece. As mentioned , slide locks on empty. Nice sights.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    I have an LCP and have shot a friend's Bodyguard.

I thought that the Bodyguard was a nicer pistol to shoot, it has better sights, and the slide locking on empty is nice.

The LCP, however, is a nicer pistol to carry. It feels thinner, generally less bulky, and less angles to get caught on your clothing if drawing from you pocket.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I have an LCP and have shot a friend's Bodyguard.

Did he survive...? :):

I dunno if you are set on choosing one of the two, but you might want to look into the LC9. I enjoy shooting them quite a bit, even with their small size. Plus 9mm ammunition is significantly cheaper.

dpbstevens

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 23, 2011
    Akron
    I have personally never owned or shot either pistol.just looked and held but I am also in this delema and have found myself leaning towards the bodyguard. Just wanted to say thanks for the thread all of you helped me as well

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I own an LCP, my wife opted for the BG. side by side, the LCP is a bit smaller, though the finish on the BG seems nicer (in my opinion). The laser is a neat trick, but as far as actually using it, neither myself or my wife practice any sort of drills with it.

As far as shootability, I think the BG is just a bit easier to handle (perhaps the weight distribution helps recoil control), and even with less trigger time with the BG, I am a bit more accurate with it compared to the LCP.

The other benefit I see in the BG is that the safety, slide release, and last shot hold open mimic most other full size pistols, and so would be a bit less to get used to if one was familiar with a lager pistol.

All in all, either pistol is a great choice for max concealment, and both are plenty accurate to get the job done. I went with the LCP because of price, my wife went with the BG because she liked the looks and ergonomics a little better.

Stringtown

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    I have the LCP and really like it. I have put about 300 rounds through with no problems. Another gun you may want to look at is Walther P380. My brother in law got one and he really likes it. The Walthers is a nice gun.

Eric70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Covington
    I have been considering one of these for my wife to carry. I am leaning towards the bodyguard. But of course it will be her choice.

andfc

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Indianapolis
    The SW slide stops open after the last round is fired, the
    Ruger does not. To me, the slide staying open after the
    last round is important.

This was important to me for awhile, but I came to the conclusion that this class of pistol is for when nothing bigger can be carried. If I had room for spare magazines for reloads, I'd probably have something bigger than an LCP. If I really thought I'd need the capacity, I'd put one of the extended magazines in or something. I'm more concerned about dealing with a potential malfunction - and if I had one, I'd have to work the slide anyway.

There are a lot of compromises you're going to have to make no matter what you choose. The downsides of the LCP, which to me are the lack of practical sights, lack of slide-lock, long and heavy trigger pull, are acceptable because of its size, reliability, simplicity, and because the trigger and sighting are at least consistent.

andfc

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I have the LCP and really like it. I have put about 300 rounds through with no problems. Another gun you may want to look at is Walther P380. My brother in law got one and he really likes it. The Walthers is a nice gun.

If you're willing to go IWB instead of pocket and still want a .380, I'll second the Walther PK380. The P380 is comfortable and shoots great, but it's a lot bigger than the options you're currently considering.

z0HKfC

I will readily admit that I have a soft spot for Walthers - the first pistol I ever shot was a PPK, and I have a P38. I am really impressed with the PPS and PPQ along with the PK380.

Top Bottom