• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I picked up 2 LCPs yesterday and one is flawless and the other is a hot mess. Sadly, the hot mess is the more fun gun to shoot. It's the .22lr version of the LCP II. The .380 LCP Max popped off its first 50 rounds without a hiccup. I guess if one was going to struggle it is better to be the one that is the range toy and not charged with defense of me or my family.

Yesterday I put about 50 rounds of Federal high velocity .22lr through it. The first 10 rounds were flawless. I was overjoyed at what a fun little pistol it is. Then the second mag load had one light primer strike. I thought it was a dud round and didn't think much of it. But the next magazine load had about 3. Upon close inspection it was clear that they were light strikes. Today I ran another 20 rounds through it and had 3 to 4 light primer strikes, 1 failure to feed, and 1 failure to fully eject. So it seems that it could possibly be getting worse. I was sighting-in a buddy's AR, so I didn't have enough time to keep going. Oh, today's ammo was Remington .22 Thunderbolt. I've had great luck with both of these brands/types of .22 ammo in a variety of guns, and the primer strikes are clearly very light on the rounds that did not go bang.

So this is the first gun I will have ever had to send in for warranty work. I've heard many a story about how good Ruger is with this stuff, so we're going to test them out. I'm not sure where to start, so I guess I will call or email their customer support tomorrow.

Any tips on how to go about getting Ruger to fix this gun would be appreciated!

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I just saw Hickock 45's video on this gun and he did say to try some "warm" or hot ammo. He ran CCI Mini Mags (1260fps, 36 grain brass coated) with no apparent trouble.

I still think the primer strikes look light, but I just oredered 600 rounds of CCI and about 1,000 rounds of winchester rated at about 1240 to 1280fps, also brass coated. So we'll give those a try. The Remington I believe was just over 1000fps and the Federal was 1200 fps. So that could possibly explain why it did a little better with the Federal. But I still think that Federal ammo is hot enough that it shouldn't have had any trouble.

I'll see what Ruger says but I may wait to send it in so that I can try something different next weekend.

It is so fun to shoot that I'll do whatever it takes to get this little bugger to work correctly.

Last edited:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Not sure how running higher velocity ammo will help with light primer strikes.. With function in regards to ejection issues I can see it. WIth that said mine does well with CCI Mini Mag and even Remington Golden hi-vel. My 380 LCPs have also been flawless.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Not sure how running higher velocity ammo will help with light primer strikes.. With function in regards to ejection issues I can see it. WIth that said mine does well with CCI Mini Mag and even Remington Golden hi-vel. My 380 LCPs have also been flawless.
    It may not be light primer strikes. Just a possibility. I'm going to just eliminate every possibility before raising the white flag and sending it to Ruger. Sooch had one round that looked like a light primer strike, too. But overall, those two guys fired A LOT of rounds (CCI Mini Mags) and that was the only failure. I've got 1200 Mini Mags on the way, so I'm going to put this sucker through its paces Saturday. If still problematic, in she goes.

Oh, I almost forgot, I've got two new magazines on the way, too. We'll try to eliminate that as the issue, as well.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    It may not be light primer strikes. Just a possibility. I'm going to just eliminate every possibility before raising the white flag and sending it to Ruger. Sooch had one round that looked like a light primer strike, too. But overall, those two guys fired A LOT of rounds (CCI Mini Mags) and that was the only failure. I've got 1200 Mini Mags on the way, so I'm going to put this sucker through its paces Saturday. If still problematic, in she goes.

Oh, I almost forgot, I've got two new magazines on the way, too. We'll try to eliminate that as the issue, as well.
    Makes sense , I see what you're saying. Good luck , hope there are no issues with the Mini Mags.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Makes sense , I see what you're saying. Good luck , hope there are no issues with the Mini Mags.
    Thx! The more I research the more I see this is an ammo sensitive gun. CCI Mini Mags and Aguila seem to be the better performing rounds. Others have indicated the mag can make a difference. I've got 2 new mags on the way, too.

But if Ruger needs to fix or massage it, that's ok. The consensus is that their customer service is top notch.

22LRFan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 9, 2022
    East Central Indiana
    I've had four of these. Two were solid and reliable. The other two went back to Ruger. I'm curious if anyone has tried the GallowayPrecision Spring Kit for the LCP 22? Increased hammer spring power "should" remedy light primer strikes I would think anyhow.

nmeyers11007

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2021
    I have one of each in 380 and .22. Both have been put through their paces and never had a hiccup. The .22 has seen a wide variety of cheap bulk ammo and the hotter CCI supersonics. No issues at all with mine.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    I have had a few of them and absolutely love them. I have had zero problems with them running cci Aguila and automatch.

If you want to try the Galloway springs I have a set never installed I don’t need l. I also have a laser and holster I’m looking to move. It’s in classifieds if Interested

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I have had a few of them and absolutely love them. I have had zero problems with them running cci Aguila and automatch.

If you want to try the Galloway springs I have a set never installed I don’t need l. I also have a laser and holster I’m looking to move. It’s in classifieds if Interested
    I may want to try the springs if it doesn't run well on the CCI.

I'm not a laser fan and I've got holsters, but I'll check them out!

I just looked and couldn't find your classified post. Link please?

Last edited:

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville

Hopefully thst works. If not I did just bump post so it’s at top of parts and accessories now

I may want to try the springs if it doesn't run well on the CCI.

I'm not a laser fan and I've got holsters, but I'll check them out!

I just looked and couldn't find your classified post. Link please?

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I've had four of these. Two were solid and reliable. The other two went back to Ruger. I'm curious if anyone has tried the GallowayPrecision Spring Kit for the LCP 22? Increased hammer spring power "should" remedy light primer strikes I would think anyhow.
    Did Ruger solve the problems with the two that went back?

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville

Hopefully thst works. If not I did just bump post so it’s at top of parts and accessories now
    It worked and I accidentally bumped it again. Oops! Lol.

Thanks!

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I ran 150 rounds through the LCP 22 today. The bad news was that I had 16 rounds either with what appeared to be light primer strikes or that failed to feed. The good news is that it got better the more I shot. Two of the last 5 magazines had zero failures. One only had 1 FTF and 2 had what appeared to be 1 light primer strike.

It was a cool 20 degrees or so again, so I'm wanting to give it a try in warmer weather.

100 rounds were CCI mini mags with round nose and 50 were Armscor hollow points. I felt like both performed about equally with the Mini Mags being a little worse at the start, as they were the first 30 or so rounds I fired.

I also used 3 magazines. The original started out the worst but ended the best. The other two got a little better as more rounds went through. Overall, I think the magazines are not causing any issues.

So I'm going to clean it again and probably Monday take advantage of warmer weather and shoot another 200 rounds or so through it. If It is still having issues it is going back to Ruger.

Meanwhile the .380 LCP Max I bought the same day has run flawlessly. It's only had 50 rounds through it but like the 22 it hasn't been shot in weather above 22 degrees. Not a hiccup. Love that gun, too!

Come heck or high water I'm going to get this gun working. It is just too fun to shoot.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom