• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • afdfirefighter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    I have not. Not a lot of experience with any hand gun...Will be used at the range some and then carried everynow and then. Left in the night stand the rest of the time.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    both are nice, the lcp will conceal easier, but the bersa will be more comfortable to shoot. also the bersa has a better sight picture in my opinion. good luck in your decision

afdfirefighter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    JohnP82:

Have you shot both? You say the Bersa will be more comfortable. Wondering what you mean more specifically...

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I believe John means les felt recoil. The Bersa while a smaller gun, is larger than the LCP and will have less felt recoil. Both are quality guns in their price range.

If you're near Fort Wayne you can shoot my P3AT which is very similar to the LCP in size and function.

Also check the classifieds there's a few keltecs floating around. a .32 for $225 and a 9mm for $300 with ammo

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    You do realize you're comparing two guns in entirely different size categories, right? Apples and oranges, imho.

The Bersa is a "full-size" .380 like the Walther, SIG P232, etc. while the LCP is a tiny pocket gun. There will be some ballistic differences due to the different barrel lengths. You can also expect all the advantages/disadvantages that go along with physical size (i.e. ergonomics, capacity, weight, sight radius, recoil, etc.).

When one starts to look at something like the Bersa, other guns in 9mm, like the Kahr CW9, also start to become candidates as well because they are of comparable physical size.

If it will be carried only a little, and left in the nightstand the rest of the time, the larger gun is probably the better choice and the longer barrel will maximize the potential (such that it is) of the .380 acp. It will also carry just fine assuming you don't have any special deep concealment requirements. Lots of people routinely conceald carry something larger.

You should be aware that the Bersas have had a reported issue with disconnector spring breakage recently. I don't know if it was a bad run of springs, has/has not been corrected by Bersa or what. Haven't heard of (or had) the problem with older models and I don't know anyone personally that owns one made in the last year and a half.

Last edited:

afdfirefighter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    You do realize you're comparing two guns in entirely different size categories, right? Apples and oranges, imho.

The Bersa is a "full-size" .380 like the Walther, SIG P232, etc. while the LCP is a tiny pocket gun. There will be some ballistic differences due to the different barrel lengths. You can also expect all the advantages/disadvantages that go along with physical size (i.e. ergonomics, capacity, weight, sight radius, recoil, etc.).

When one starts to look at something like the Bersa, other guns in 9mm, like the Kahr CW9, also start to become candidates as well because they are of comparable physical size.

If it will be carried only a little, and left in the nightstand the rest of the time, the larger gun is probably the better choice and the longer barrel will maximize the potential (such that it is) of the .380 acp. It will also carry just fine assuming you don't have any special deep concealment requirements. Lots of people routinely conceald carry something larger.

You should be aware that the Bersas have had a reported issue with disconnector spring breakage recently. I don't know if it was a bad run of springs, has/has not been corrected by Bersa or what. Haven't heard of (or had) the problem with older models and I don't know anyone personally that owns one made in the last year and a half.

How well would I be able to carry the Bersa without someone knowing it is there? I realize I can't throw it in the pocket, but how compact is it?

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    How well would I be able to carry the Bersa without someone knowing it is there? I realize I can't throw it in the pocket, but how compact is it?

Bersa 380s are small and conceal well in any type of holster IWB/OWB, but are not pocket pistols.

The LCP is a pocket pistol that is very easy to conceal. They are somewhat accurate and are not fun to shoot past 50 rounds or so.

Bersa 380s are fun to shoot and are very accurate.

It's a tough comparison. You have to weigh pocket size vs. fun to shoot/accuracy.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I too have owned and shot both and agree with most of what has been said. I carry a Ruger LCP daily as it is most concealable for me with work. I enjoy shooting my larger .380's more certainly. I have owned other pistols in .380 similar in size to the Bersa including a Walther PPK, Llama Especial, Beretta, Colt, etc.

I think the Bersa .380's are the best overall values for a pistol that will be shot some, carried some and used as a nightstand gun. I would not recommend a Ruger LCP for a novice handgunner.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    JohnP82:

Have you shot both? You say the Bersa will be more comfortable. Wondering what you mean more specifically...

yes i have fired both and cygnus is correct above in clearing up what i said. the lcp will have much more felt recoil. it is not unmanageable, but you will tell a big difference between that and the bersa. like cygnus i too carry a keltec as a bug and if i resort to that it will pretty much be shtf and it is my last resort. i am confident with it out to 15 feet, but with the limited sights not much further than that. on the other hand though most confrontations happen within 15 feet so you can look at it either way i guess. for a new shooter though i would recomend a more full size gun rather than a pocket pistol in most cases, or at least try them out before you buy. everyone is different so you need to get what works best for you.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008

The Bersa is a smallish pistol. It falls solidly into the CCW category. They conceal easily for most folks. The Kahr CW9 is a little thinner and consequently conceals a little (though maybe not significantly) better (and it's lighter than the Bersa - which also helps).

As Bronsonbull points out, however, the Bersa Thunder 380 is pushing the envelope of "pocket pistol" as that word is often used, unless you have big pants pockets. Carrying it in a pocket holster in jacket pocket can work, if the pocket is of sufficient size and the material of the jacket will support the weight. I've occasionally carried such a pistol in a pants pocket, however, it's a fairly rare thing because everything has to be just right or it won't work well. Usually, something this size gets a holster of some sort.

If comparison helps, I have no difficulty concealing a full size service auto (such as a G17 or SIG P220) most of the time, and I'm just an average person; maybe a little on the skinny side.

These things are on a spectrum and there are tradeoffs. Much depends on how you personally are built, how you dress, your risk profile, and how much you're willing to accommodate your lifestyle to carry.

If the Bersa is a size you like, I'd encourage you to consider something like the CW9 because it's virtually the same physical size and fires a more potent cartridge (that's usually more readily available and less expensive).

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Been trying to get my hands on an LCP for qutie some time. I do have a Bersa .380 that I carry, Ive not had any problem carrying it or at the range it has taken everything I fed itwithout even a hiccup. Not sure of its age bought it used.

Just get a P3AT. It's the same gun as the LCP, though a little less refined. If you're going to carry it a lot you'll just ding up the nicer Ruger finish.

It's as if KelTec just copped 90% of the design from Ruger;)

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    You will be able to conceal carry that Bersa just fine. It is a very thin pistol, so even wearing a OWB with a loose shirt over it, nobody will be able to tell. I had a Walther PPK/S (basically the same gun) and never had a issue concealing it (and was able to pocket carry it in a pocket holster, but you do need big pockets :D).

The question that I have, and have absolutely no idea is, between the Bersa and the Ruger LCP do you have any noticeable velocity lost due to the shorter barrel. You know the same way you do between a 5" .45 and a 3" .45.

I've always been curious about this with the smaller .380's. Trust me I don't want to be shot with either, just curious.

DecaturGB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    I have the LCP and agree with it being somewhat difficult to shoot. I am not an experienced handgun shooter. However I bought it for SD and the fact it can go in a pocket no problem.

As with all right now my main concern is the lack of .380 ammo on the market. It makes it hard to get more familiar with the LCP and its characteristics. Just my .02.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Bersa 380s are small and conceal well in any type of holster IWB/OWB, but are not pocket pistols.

The LCP is a pocket pistol that is very easy to conceal. They are somewhat accurate and are not fun to shoot past 50 rounds or so.

Bersa 380s are fun to shoot and are very accurate.

It's a tough comparison. You have to weigh pocket size vs. fun to shoot/accuracy.

They are not ideal pocket pistols, however, if you have a pocket holster and cargo pants, they hide pretty well in the cargo pocket :D

Top Bottom