• ...and so much more!
  • WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    Is Massachusetts no longer part of the USA? :rolleyes:

Yes sir, I know Smiths are made in USA I was just quoting Ruger's little marketing slogan :)

I think Kahr's factory is there also isn't it?

As for the thread topic, I have a new LCR that I have yet to fire but from dry firing I'm liking the feel already. The only other .38 snubbie I have ever owed was a Taurus Ultra-Lite about 10 years ago.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have a 442, my wife went the other way, and has an LCR. Both are light guns, but to tell the difference I have to hold them both at the same time. The trigger is slightly lighter on the LCR, but I like the feel of the Smith trigger better, as I seem to feel the point of breakover better, and know when the smith is going to fire. The Ruger trigger, while light, feels long, with no definition of when its going to break.
    Recoil between the two is not enough to complain about, even with the +P loads.
    The only place I can say the Ruger has the advantage is the front sight can be replaced with a hi-viz one. Though this isnt as large an advantage for me, as the smith I still get better accuracy with, even with the easier to see front sight on the Ruger.
    My opinion, the Smith is a more accurate, less expensive option that has better aftermarket support, to the LCR.

Pete

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    I like my j frame & carry it often. I like my SP101 & carry it when I don't have the chiefs special in my pocket. I have never handled a LCR & cannot offer any meaningful opinions on it. I like the reliability of a snubbie. If that is not enough, there are several other options close at hand.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Photo454.jpg

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    When I was choosing a snubbie I went with a S&W 642, one of those "Talo" special editions and I bought it because the wood grips that came on it are lengthened about a half inch too allow a nice comfortable 3 finger grip. The price was definitely right on my 642 also. The LCR was a good piece too...just not good enough for me to pay the extra few bucks for it.

And as far as my 642's trigger, my experience with it is exactly the same as what 45fan described his as. I like the trigger on my 642.

And finally, I think my Smith is a much better looking little handgun. :D

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Can't really go wrong either way, both are great guns.
    The LCR does have a very nice trigger out of the box.
    I have a 442 and I absolutely love it. The Smiths feels much better in my hand and my 442 is a joy to shoot.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    "J" hands down; my wife has both (both w/ the Crimson trace grips) and the "J" shotos much better. The LCR is just to 'hot' to shoot comfortably; if I'm carrying a pocket-pistol, it's the "J". -- Greg/Grizhicks

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    The LCR is just to 'hot' to shoot comfortably; if I'm carrying a pocket-pistol, it's the "J". -- Greg/Grizhicks

In order to overcome the 'hot' action of the LCR yet gain the advantages of the LCR (i.e sweet trigger compared with the J and the ability to upgrade the front sight), I suggest going with the LCR 357 (even if you never plan to shoot .357 out of it). The 357 version weighs in 17oz (compared to the 15 oz S&W 642) but shooting .38 special out of it is a DREAM.

I have both a 642 and an LCR 357 but the 642 never leaves the safe anymore....

BTW, my LCR 357 wears an XS big dot night sight and is wicked accurate.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    J frame 642 for me. I did my own trigger job and put in a Wolf spring. cost me $12. Now it's very nice.

Truth be told, I never shot an LCR, that I can remember.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I have never shot a LCP either, but I have carried a S&W 642 for a long time on occasion. Mine has a 2xx serial number, so I have had it a long time. It is a great piece.

Dave

Top Bottom