• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    I tried both of these out today and have to say I was very disappointed in both....Although I have no experience with suppressors but my experience today, the suppressor was not that quiet in my opinion. The gun jammed or misfed in such a way that it was stuck in battery and the round would not extract. I had rented the gun from a local range and it appeared to be in good condition. The round came out almost bent. I did not get it out but the range employee extracted it...i was deadset on getting both of these and I was glad i could try them both out before purchasing...saved me about 800 bucks....

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Most 22 suppressors are really quiet. What kind of ammo were you using? If it goes supersonic, it's not going to be that quiet. Also, I wouldn't necessarily give up on a gun because you had one jam with a range rental. Mark III'S are pretty reliable, and you have no idea how the gun was maintained.

I own an AAC Prodigy .22 can which meters among the top 3 cans out there for quietness. I've heard it alongside the Guardian and thought they compared really nicely, so you were either using the wrong ammo or you have a really skewed opinion on what a suppressor is supposed to sound like. No offense...

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    I own a Guardian, and it is very quiet if used with the sub sonic ammunition. Also if you fired this indoors, all the sound is held in, making it seem louder. I would give the Guardian another chance if i was you.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    And the Ruger pistols can certainly be finicky with ammo; especially when they're dirty and un-lubed.

Your deck was stacked against you on your rental: (probably a dirty/dry gun), bulk non-subsonic ammo, and indoors.

-J-

Dirc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Noblesville
    I suspect I know what range you used (did they sell you Blazer .22s?). I rented the same gun last week and it ran just fine. It probably had a lot of use, I think they were running a special on rentals last week. Probably didn't get cleaned for a few thousand rounds.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I tried both of these out today and have to say I was very disappointed in both....Although I have no experience with suppressors but my experience today, the suppressor was not that quiet in my opinion. The gun jammed or misfed in such a way that it was stuck in battery and the round would not extract. I had rented the gun from a local range and it appeared to be in good condition. The round came out almost bent. I did not get it out but the range employee extracted it...i was deadset on getting both of these and I was glad i could try them both out before purchasing...saved me about 800 bucks....

That's a very sad story, because that's probably one of the best combos ever!!

I absolutly love my ruger 22/45 surpressed, and it runs flawless for about 1000 rounds, then it needs cleaned and right back at it!

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Pretty sure I know the range and gun you're talking about.

I've shot my own MkIII and TM Zephyr XL at that range. It is much, much louder there due to the cinder block walls than (for instance) out in the woods. Also, with a suppressor the Rugers get dirty quite a bit more quickly. Without a suppressor I can get away with a few thousand rounds between cleaning without any problem. With the can, I start to notice an increased rate of malfunctions within about 500-1000 rounds, and it will just keep getting worse until I strip the gun down and detail it well.

If you can ever make it over there during the week over lunch, let me know ahead of time. I'll try to bring my pistol (freshly cleaned!) and can for you to try out. And I'll bring a .22 rifle with subsonics to play with.

We'll get you to burn that $800 yet!

irishhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Mooresville
    My buddy is running the exact set up shooting CCI subsonics , we went thru a brick last weekend and had o problems sounded as good or better than my Tac 65 and Walther 22

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    I shoot the Ruger Mark III without a suppressor. It jams like crazy with FTE's. I have tried several different brands of ammunition. So I am sure it is not the suppressor. I am very disciplined at keeping my firearms clean. I have read issues with other owners of the Mark III and some removed their loaded chamber indicator and the jamming issues ceased. I may be trying to find a Ruger armorer soon.

Mechy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I've got a MKIII threaded and waiting for me to pick up my huntertown arms suppressor. I'm hoping it goes better than what you've described. I rarely have any trouble with the MKIII on it's own though. The few problems I've had were maintenance issues. But that's just my experience.

Funtogun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2012
    Im running an Outback II on a Tactical Solutions Upper...Use CCI subs...quiet.

2012-03-16214244.jpg

Top Bottom