• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maarlborogto

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Is it true that i can shoot 5.56 in a ruger mini 14 without damage? I have heard mixed things like the 5.56 has to be domestic and it can damage the rifle and ive heard that certain models will only shoot 5.56 can somone enlightin me on the issue???????????????????????????

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Is it true that i can shoot 5.56 in a ruger mini 14 without damage? I have heard mixed things like the 5.56 has to be domestic and it can damage the rifle and ive heard that certain models will only shoot 5.56 can somone enlightin me on the issue???????????????????????????

I've been shooting my MINI-14 for over 15 years & never had any issues with ammo, only with cheap aftermarket mags, I shoot all & any type of 5.56x45 or 223 rem. but remember the mini-14 likes the 55 grain ammo not the heavy 69 to 75 grains ammo:twocents:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    My Ruger mini14 is stamped with .223, my cousin has one that is stamped with 5.56. .223 can be safely fired in one designed for 5.56 but a 5.56 should not be shot out of one designed for .223. Here is a wikipedia link, feel free to look up other sources to confirm.

.223 Remington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But the Ruger Mini-14 owners manual says that they can fire both no matter how they're marked.

Ruger's big mistake, however, is telling folks that 5.56 Nato = .223 Rem.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    My Ruger mini14 is stamped with .223, my cousin has one that is stamped with 5.56. .223 can be safely fired in one designed for 5.56 but a 5.56 should not be shot out of one designed for .223. Here is a wikipedia link, feel free to look up other sources to confirm.

I only shoot 55 grain ammo thur my MINI-14 & haven't had a problem

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    But the Ruger Mini-14 owners manual says that they can fire both no matter how they're marked.

Ruger's big mistake, however, is telling folks that 5.56 Nato = .223 Rem.

Page 12 of the Ruger manual for the Mini 14:

The Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifles are offered in two calibers: the .223 Remington (5.56) cartridge and the 6.8mm Remington SPC cartridge. The Target Model uses .223 Remington cartridges only.

They not only italicize it but they underline it.

You could probably get away with shooting 5.56 in a .223 only rifle but the difference would be in accuracy. The .223 rifling starts a bit earlier than the rifle that can shoot 5.56 from what I understand. Encountering the rifling earlier for the 5.56 may cause some pressure difference but I would bet the major difference would be in accuracy. I can't imagine the Target model is any less strong than the ranch model.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Does it really? I will contact Ruger and see what they say and get back to y'all

All you have to do is look up the owner's manual from their website!

One's contained at the link I posted above...which is why I posted it above.

Here's the URL to the online manual from Ruger's website itself: https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/mini.pdf

It should also be noted that Ruger has different manuals for different generations of rifle. The link immediately above is for the newest iteration. The previous generation rifle / manual had no "target model" with which to specify .223Rem only.

And it's troubling to me that in all of their previous manuals, they go out of their way (Seemingly) to state that the .223 Rem and the 5.56Nato are the same round to be used interchangeably...but then they go on to say that the Target models are to only have .223 Rem used in them.

Contradictory much?

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    All you have to do is look up the owner's manual from their website!

One's contained at the link I posted above...which is why I posted it above.

Here's the URL to the online manual from Ruger's website itself: https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/mini.pdf

It should also be noted that Ruger has different manuals for different generations of rifle. The link immediately above is for the newest iteration. The previous generation rifle / manual had no "target model" with which to specify .223Rem only.

And it's troubling to me that in all of their previous manuals, they go out of their way (Seemingly) to state that the .223 Rem and the 5.56Nato are the same round to be used interchangeably...but then they go on to say that the Target models are to only have .223 Rem used in them.

Contradictory much?

maybe the target model has a tighter bore:dunno::dunno:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    maybe the target model has a tighter bore:dunno::dunno:

The bore is the same.

Chambers would be my guess.

It's just goofy for them to consider the two cartridges to be the same...except for the Target Model; when all of a sudden the cartridges are different enough to include a warning to not use the higher pressure ammo.

*sigh*

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

This, is what I was told, 20+ years ago, I don't know, if Ruger, changed anything, lately..... When the first Ruger .223 Rifles, came out, as far as I know, ammo, was NOT interchangable..... There were several problems, with the Ruger Rifle, specifically..... What has changed, since then, I DO NOT KNOW..... I would rather be SAFE, than SORRY ..... :twocents:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    This, is what I was told, 20+ years ago, I don't know, if Ruger, changed anything, lately..... When the first Ruger .223 Rifles, came out, as far as I know, ammo, was NOT interchangable..... There were several problems, with the Ruger Rifle, specifically..... What has changed, since then, I DO NOT KNOW..... I would rather be SAFE, than SORRY ..... :twocents:

https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/mini14-180.pdf

That's the link to the FIRST generation Mini-14 that was produced between '74 and '77.

Click the link and go to page 2.

It says, and I quote "The MINI-14 is designed to use either U. S. Military, Commercial Sporting, or other .223 (5.56mm) caliber ammunition manufactured to U. S. industry standards."

Read the farking manuals, people. Sheesh.

-J-

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010

I have one of the early Ruger stainless mini's in my collection and the manual states either round is fine. I believe the problem you are referring to is that there was a bad batch mini's that were recalled back in the early 80's due to the chambers failing. It was on the stainless models and it showed up more when using NATO 5.56 ammo If I remember right it had something to do with bad heat treating making the metal a little too brittle.

Last edited:

MarlinMan68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Indiana-Michigan State Line

Obviously you missed my post that stated the Mini-14 was designed around the 5.56.I think I will let everyone figure out the exception on the target model themselves.I will check back on Friday.:popcorn:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The SS-109 or the M855 5.56 cartridge should not be fired out of a .223 chamber unless it is a Wylde chamber. Like the RRA chambers. Another reason to favor the RRA brand.

The leade of the original 5.56 chamber was made longer so that safe pressures are developed for the longer 62 grain steel core penetrator bullets.

The original 5.56 chamber is for the 55 grain bullet and is virtually identical to the .223 chamber reamer. The differences are so slight that they are ignored.

In other words, 55 grain, 5.56 Nato loads can be safely fired out of .223 chambers, but green tip, 62 grain, loads should not be. Unless it is a Rock River Arms, Wylde chamber, AR15.

The Wikipedia article quoted earlier clearly confirms this.

For you unbelievers, lets test it. I have everything we need.

Top Bottom