• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    The SS-109 or the M855 5.56 cartridge should not be fired out of a .223 chamber unless it is a Wylde chamber. Like the RRA chambers. Another reason to favor the RRA brand.

The leade of the original 5.56 chamber was made longer so that safe pressures are developed for the longer 62 grain steel core penetrator bullets.

The original 5.56 chamber is for the 55 grain bullet and is virtually identical to the .223 chamber reamer. The differences are so slight that they are ignored.

In other words, 55 grain, 5.56 Nato loads can be safely fired out of .223 chambers, but green tip, 62 grain, loads should not be. Unless it is a Rock River Arms, Wylde chamber, AR15.

The Wikipedia article quoted earlier clearly confirms this.

For you unbelievers, lets test it. I have everything we need.

I told him to only shoot 55 grains bullet in the MINI-14:D

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Obviously you missed my post that stated the Mini-14 was designed around the 5.56.I think I will let everyone figure out the exception on the target model themselves.I will check back on Friday.:popcorn:

The difference is that all Mini's except the target version are actually chambered for 5.56 NATO with the longer throat. The target version has a heavy barrel with a harmonic dampener that is chamber for Rem .233 with it's shorter throat.

The confusion comes in because when the Mini was first marketed back in the 70's telling someone that it was chambered in .556 would get you funny looks, (most people weren't used to NATO designations on ammo) so they went with the more conventional Rem .223. It was a marketing mistake by Ruger that 40 years later is still causing confusion.

Do I get a cookie for answering?

Here's a fun fact. There were 3 different barrel twists used on the Mini, 1:10 was the original, in 1987 they changed it to 1:7 for heavier 62 grain varmint rounds and then a few years later when complaints came in that they were very inaccurate with 55 gr. bullets past 50 yards they changed it to 1:9 which is what it is on today's mini's.

P.S. Sorry OP I think your thread got hijacked by the Mini crowd.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    The difference is that all Mini's except the target version are actually chambered for 5.56 NATO with the longer throat. The target version has a heavy barrel with a harmonic dampener that is chamber for Rem .233 with it's shorter throat.

The confusion comes in because when the Mini was first marketed back in the 70's telling someone that it was chambered in .556 would get you funny looks, (most people weren't used to NATO designations on ammo) so they went with the more conventional Rem .223. It was a marketing mistake by Ruger that 40 years later is still causing confusion.

Here's a fun fact. There were 3 different barrel twists used on the Mini, 1:10 was the original, in 1987 they changed it to 1:7 for heavier 62 grain varmint rounds and then a few years later when complaints came in that they were very inaccurate with 55 gr. bullets past 50 yards they changed it to 1:9 which is what it is on today's mini's.

Would the twists rate by marked the mini-14 barrel, cause I have one with the serial numbers starting in the 184 & the other 195

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Would the twists rate by marked the mini-14 barrel, cause I have one with the serial numbers starting in the 184 & the other 195

It's not marked on the barrel but all series prior to 187 had 1:10 twists, 187 had 1:7 twist and 189 to present have 1:9 twists. I believe in 2003 is when they redesigned the barrel from the pencil thin to the taper to improve accuracy.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    It's not marked on the barrel but all series prior to 187 had 1:10 twists, 187 had 1:7 twist and 189 to present have 1:9 twists. I believe in 2003 is when they redesigned the barrel from the pencil thin to the taper to improve accuracy.

THANK YOU, For the info, I still haven't shot the STAINLESS STEEL MINI-14 RANCH model serial number start with 195, but now I know I can shoot the 62 grain ammo:yesway:

MarlinMan68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Indiana-Michigan State Line

+1 :thumbsup:No cookies here but how about a :40oz:?

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Response from RUGER
    Response:
    Ruger Mini-14’s have 5.56mm chambers and are designed to use either 5.56 or .223
    factory ammunition loaded to United States industry specifications except in the
    Target model. Also may be called 5.56 x .45.

If you need further information, please visit our website at Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc. or
    contact us at:

Revolvers, shotguns, rifles, 10/22 Charger Pistol: (603) 865-2442
    Pistols: (928) 778-6555
    Serial Number History Information: (603) 865-2424

Please note: This e-mail is sent from a notification-only address that cannot
    accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

Sincerely,
    Ruger Firearms

Top Bottom