• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    I had one of these about 20 years ago. My understanding is back then the barrels would get hot and loose accuracy. Supposedly this has changed with a heavier barrel. Anyone confirm this?

How does one tell if it is a new barrel?

What would be a good price, wally world has them for $630.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I am not sure, I am wanting to get a Mini-14 Target but I would like a bit of feedback on them as well. I like it, but wanted opinions of those who have shot it.

CDDN has a good selection for less than $700.

nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    First, I remember reading an article of the history of the mini-14 that said it was originally engineered to shoot the .308 round. Somewhere along the line, errors were made and it would not handle that much power. Thus, it was eventually chambered for the .223 and Chicom round.
    They were never know for great accuracy. 3 to 5 inch groups at 100 yds. is the norm for most of them. The whole arm is designed to be short, light and handy. Thus the similarity to the M-1 carbine. A heavier barrel would add weight which was not wanted. It was not meant to be a battle rifle, able to handle sustained fire. They are fine for their intended purpose and function pretty reliably.
    There is a target version available, but I have never looked at one. I personally have a 1982 one for sale on Armslist for $600 or trade. This is a pre-ban rifle that is usually more desirable than later versions. It is in almost new condition. $600 is a decent price for one like it. I also have a stainless one that I plan to keep around because it is scoped and that helps me shoot more accurately with my older eyes. It would bring about $725 in the present market...John

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    My mini-14 will shoot 2.5 inch groups at 100 yards, If you want more accuracy, buy the CLARK
    Mini 14 Barrel Stabilizer kit & you'll get 1 inch groups with match ammo, according to CLARK

bman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    haven't shot one but want one. the new models with heavier barrels have numbers starting 580 or higher.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The older mini's had what is known as the "pencil" barrel, long thin and relatively light. They are known for "stinging" hits usually vertically from left to right when they get hot. It’s due to several things most notably the thin barrel coupled with gas action to produce a vibration along the barrel. There are several things that help improve accuracy, namely a barrel strut or even just putting on a heavy flash suppressor that changes the harmonics of the barrel. Also over the life of the mini the rate of twist changed from 1 in 10 to 1 in 7 to what it is now, 1 in 9. This also contributes the mini’s bad reputation for accuracy depending on the weight of the bullet.

Newer mini’s have a heavier, tapered barrel past the gas block that reduces the amount of stringing and, a 1 in 9 twist. They are considered to be more accurate than the old mini’s. I have several of the older style mini’s and a friend has a newer style with the tapered barrel. From my experience the newer, tapered barrel is more accurate out of the box, how much so I can’t really say since my eyes aren’t as good as they used to be. :)

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    The older mini's had what is known as the "pencil" barrel, long thin and relatively light. They are known for "stinging" hits usually vertically from left to right when they get hot. It’s due to several things most notably the thin barrel coupled with gas action to produce a vibration along the barrel. There are several things that help improve accuracy, namely a barrel strut or even just putting on a heavy flash suppressor that changes the harmonics of the barrel. Also over the life of the mini the rate of twist changed from 1 in 10 to 1 in 7 to what it is now, 1 in 9. This also contributes the mini’s bad reputation for accuracy depending on the weight of the bullet.

Newer mini’s have a heavier, tapered barrel past the gas block that reduces the amount of stringing and, a 1 in 9 twist. They are considered to be more accurate than the old mini’s. I have several of the older style mini’s and a friend has a newer style with the tapered barrel. From my experience the newer, tapered barrel is more accurate out of the box, how much so I can’t really say since my eyes aren’t as good as they used to be. :)
    +1
    My Tactical Mini shoots rings around my 186 series Mini.
    I have shot 100 yd, 1.5" MOA groups from a bench rest, with a scope, on the Tactical.
    The best that I could get from the "pencil" barreled 186 Mini was 2.5". :dunno:

Ltemfly4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Obama in the market for a long rifle, but I am debating on the mini-14, or the AK, I love the feel of both guns, and I just shoot about once every month, anyone have suggestions on pro's and con's on both of these? Thnx.!

RTDoug

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    I had a Ranch back years ago, and if I remember correctly it was a full choke.

Joke, I'm a Ruger fan, but the Ranch wouldn't do what I wanted.
    Hitting a paper plate at 100 yds was about it with the irons.

Regards

The Gavman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    How do you know when your mini-14 was made and also when was the cut off for the "pencil barreled" mini-14's because I have a stainless ranch rifle that I have owned for 10 years or so but I bought it used but in perfect shape so I assume it is around 12-15 years old. I was thinking of putting a scope on it but after reading this I'm gonna get a stevens or savage.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    How do you know when your mini-14 was made and also when was the cut off for the "pencil barreled" mini-14's because I have a stainless ranch rifle that I have owned for 10 years or so but I bought it used but in perfect shape so I assume it is around 12-15 years old. I was thinking of putting a scope on it but after reading this I'm gonna get a stevens or savage.

You can go to this page Ruger Instruction Manuals & Product History and cross reference your serial number to find out how old your rifle is.
    The "pencil barrels" are the same diameter from the chamber to the muzzle. The tapered barrels are larger just in front of the gas block and taper down to the muzzle.
    You could go ahead and scope your Mini and if it doesn't shoot well enough to suit, you could use the scope for whatever you get.
    Realistically, most any decent bolt gun will shoot better than a Mini-14. The semi-auto action design is not as accurate as a bolt action. You can spend a lot of time and trouble to get one to shoot as well as an average bolt gun will shoot right out of the box, but if you put the same time and trouble into the bolt gun, it will shoot better.
    But, gee, the Mini's sure are fun!:D

Doug

Barbecue

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    CDNN does have a great price on them and I picked up the tactical with the ATI stock a couple weeks back. It does have the heavier barrel. Anyone wanting to check out the Mini 14 should watch Nutnfancy's video's on it. Here's a link.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLzxL8lH46s"]Mini 14 Homestead Defender[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fk84KLiaa4"]Mini 14 Against the World[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycagSJTvaJs"]Mini 14 Arrival of the Underdog[/ame]

Top Bottom