• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigjon07

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    I am looking at buying one of these, But I cannot make my mind. I would save $200 or so if I went with the Ruger. I am just looking for some solid advice. Both Guns are Impressive.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    There are cheaper M4's than the SIG, and they would arguable be more accurate, more reliable, and more customizable than the Mini-14. Check out Palmetto State Armory, you could easily build an AR for $200 cheaper than the SIG, and it would be just as good.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    There are cheaper M4's than the SIG, and they would arguable be more accurate, more reliable, and more customizable than the Mini-14. Check out Palmetto State Armory, you could easily build an AR for $200 cheaper than the SIG, and it would be just as good.
    I don't think the AR-15 will be more reliable than a mini-14 with good mags;) other than this statement in his post, I'll agree with the rest of his post

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I don't think the AR-15 will be more reliable than a mini-14 with good mags;) other than this statement in his post, I'll agree with the rest of his post

Just curious, why? and are you saying this generically about AR's or the specific ones mentioned so far?

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I would go for the M4, but I wouldn't buy a Sig M4 (unless you are a Sig Sauer fan boy). You will just be paying for the name and it seems like Sig quality, especially in their rifle division, can be questionable right now.

You can get a high quality AR15 for $700-$1000. Accessories are easy to find and cheap.

The Ruger Mini 14 is a nice rifle but they can be picky with aftermarket magazines and there are a lot less upgrade and customization options.

Last edited:

Bigjon07

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Thanks for all the response. I have had a chance to have both in my hands. The feel of the M4 felt a little more comfortable. But they both shot the same and for the custom side I think the Mini 14 has just enough for me. I like sig but not enough to spend $200 more. I really like Ruger and it felt good shooting it. I'm going with the Ruger Mini 14:ar15:

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Just curious, why? and are you saying this generically about AR's or the specific ones mentioned so far?

I have two mini-14, one i shoot the other is still unfired, The mini-14 I shoot doesn't jam, buy the good mags & you won't have a problem. I have 8 ar-15 but have only shoot 3 of them & I've had jams, after cleaning the AR-15 the jams went away.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have two mini-14, one i shoot the other is still unfired, The mini-14 I shoot doesn't jam, buy the good mags & you won't have a problem. I have 8 ar-15 but have only shoot 3 of them & I've had jams, after cleaning the AR-15 the jams went away.

I'm not sure that makes for a large enough sample (1 mini-14 and 3 ARs) to declare the mini-14 more reliable than AR's in general, but I appreciate your follow up.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I'm not sure that makes for a large enough sample (1 mini-14 and 3 ARs) to declare the mini-14 more reliable than AR's in general, but I appreciate your follow up.
    only one of my ar-15 jamed, the other two doesn't cause I clean them after shooting, I don't clean the mini-14, but when I get a chance I will. Guess the ar-15 gas operation is more prone to fouling than the mini-14;)

Top Bottom