• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    I had to sell my mini 14 about 5 years ago and I really want to buy another. Has anyone purchase one of the 580- versions that have been recently made. I want to buy the tactical mini 14 in the 16" barrell. I like these and they are very reliable. They cost about $650 from Budsgunshop.com but the accuracy at 100 yards appears to be 2-4 inches according to who you talk to. I was going to get an AR but decided I would rather have a the mini, a 10/22 and a Mark III instead of a $1200 tack driver. The Busmasters are nice but I dont think I am ready to spend that much on one rifle. Any opinions or input on this decision is welcome.

Dawall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Lake County
    The Mini-14 has been around for quite a while and has been used by various professions and sportsman with reliability and quality. It has lost popularity though to the AR. With many more after market products and variations, A little more money gives the owner options from handgun to a varmit rifle and resale is usually quick. (I'll keep mine). Quality mags due to surplus is much more inexpensive than factory Ruger mags. Regardless, Go with whats right for you. People will argue like Ford or Chevy. Just my opinion. I like both...

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    do you have one of the late versions with the improved barrell? I just want something simple and low maintenance...everybody says stay away from dpms and olympic which are the value AR and I just dont want to spend a grand on the bushies....
    The Mini-14 has been around for quite a while and has been used by various professions and sportsman with reliability and quality. It has lost popularity though to the AR. With many more after market products and variations, A little more money gives the owner options from handgun to a varmit rifle and resale is usually quick. (I'll keep mine). Quality mags due to surplus is much more inexpensive than factory Ruger mags. Regardless, Go with whats right for you. People will argue like Ford or Chevy. Just my opinion. I like both...

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    My original side folder does just fine. It shoots about a 2-3" group at 100 yards and it is the old style. Gotta love th A-team

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I have one of the new 580 series (the All Weather version), and really, really like it. It is plenty accurate enough for me.

My only complaint would be the cost of the factory mags, but they are very reliable in my Mini, so I guess you get what you pay for.

MarlinMan68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Indiana-Michigan State Line
    I have one of the new 580 series (the All Weather version), and really, really like it. It is plenty accurate enough for me.

My only complaint would be the cost of the factory mags, but they are very reliable in my Mini, so I guess you get what you pay for.
    Try cdnn,I buy my Mini-14 mags there.Factory 30 rounders were $25 last time I bought some but I think they run $30 now which is still a great deal.

nrar15

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Attica
    I got a mini a couple of weeks ago my first one. Have had a lot of AR's of all kinds. The mini is cool I have had good luck with PRO mags and Thermolds in mine. Buy what makes you happy your the one that is going to be shooting it.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I have one of the new versions, and the barrel is a huge improvement over the old ones. Factory mags are expensive, but CDNN had trade in ones for around $12. They also had some really sweet mini deals in the last flyer I got. I have had 100% reliability out of it, and it even shoots steel cased rounds, which is something my old one wouldn't.
    IMG_0001-2.jpg

Mr.Lubie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    I have one of the 2010 581 models.Accuracy is definitely a lot better then some of the earlier runs.My only complaint is I don't like the scope ring set-up.Other then that she has been 100% flawless.
    111.jpg

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    nice rifle!

I really love the look of those little guns...I am going to get that before I buy an AR-15...
    I have one of the 2010 581 models.Accuracy is definitely a lot better then some of the earlier runs.My only complaint is I don't like the scope ring set-up.Other then that she has been 100% flawless.
    111.jpg

MarlinMan68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Indiana-Michigan State Line
    The good thing is all the extra money left over to buy ammo.I think the only ar I would ever buy is one of the CMMG piston models.I can usually get them for $750.max-let me know if you don't find anything,I can usually find some good deals on minis,I'm a member on some mini forums and have some good contacts locally and nationwide.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    111.jpg

I've heard good things about the Amega Scout Mount for the Mini. Come tax refund time I'm going to pick one up. Don't have one yet so I can't testify as to how good they actually are. Amega Mounts Home page

Not only does it allow you to mount any optic you want in "scout" configuration it also adds a little barrel stability to older thin barrel mini's, (of which I have serveral). Price is $140.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I have one of the newer Minis. It is the GB model. 75yds I was shooting 1" to 1.5" groups with open sights @ 75yds. Mine came with 5 20rd mags which was an added bonus. Had an older Mini and it shot fine, but nothing like the newer ones. The older ones had a problem with barrel whip. Looking to get a Tapco stock for it. I had an ATI stock, but it felt very flimsy. You can't go wrong with the newer Minis IMHO.:ingo:
    picture.php

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    HAHA is that what made the mini popular??? That is too funny...I love the A-Team....I am definitely getting one now "fewl"! (and I am getting a mohawk

I pity the fool that makes fun of the A-team. The accuracy of the 1980's minis does explain why the A-team never shot anyone though.

Top Bottom