• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I took my MKII to the range yesterday after I installed the Volquartsen trigger group.

I used one mag and shot about 40 rounds total and got many stovepipes and FTE's. Before I installed the trigger I had zero.

However, I think I used a new mag yesterday.( I need to get them numbered now that I have 5).

Before I tear out the trigger blaming it, can someone tell me if the trigger could be the problem? Or do I need to look at the mag and the extractor, etc.?

barnstormer37

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2013
    I am absolutely very far from being a gunsmith, but have a lot of practical experience. I would review the whole modification procedure to try to determine if there was anything done that would/could effect the ejection action.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I had a ton of stovepipes with my MKIII until I put the volquartsen extractor in. Haven't had one in 5 years since. I put it in at the same time I put the volquartsen trigger kit in.

I wouldn't think the trigger would have anything to do with it, but it is odd that it didn't start until you changed the trigger. I would look at the face of the extractor, and make sure there's no debris affecting its motion. Most rimfire ammo is dirty and can gum up guns quickly.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Went back and looked at it today. I used a mag that have used in the past.

If I stick a spent casing in the chamber and close the bolt then pull it back to extract the casing, it doesn't catch the rim. Is this normal when you are not actually firing the pistol?

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    handloading a spent casing may not be enough forward motion/inertia/whatever to get the extractor over the rim.

WJB63

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Lafayette area
    Personally I would go back to square one. Re-install the original parts and run through the mags and number them. If all is well then put the new trigger back in paying close attention to details making sure all is correct then run through the mags.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Are you using leadheads? Clean the gun! Check for burrs on the extractor cutout on the barrel. Trigger did not cause the FTE or stovepipes.

Good to know. I'll go ahead and order the extractor so when I tear it down to look everything over, I can throw that in. It was clean. When I installed the trigger I cleaned everything up.

I have been reading about the mags causing issues, but I can't see why it would do it now when it wasn't earlier.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Good to know. I'll go ahead and order the extractor so when I tear it down to look everything over, I can throw that in. It was clean. When I installed the trigger I cleaned everything up.

I have been reading about the mags causing issues, but I can't see why it would do it now when it wasn't earlier.
    The mag DID NOT cause a FTE. Those leadheads have a waxy coating that gums up the gun and will cause havoc on any semi auto rifle or handgun if enough are fired before you clean it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The mag DID NOT cause a FTE. Those leadheads have a waxy coating that gums up the gun and will cause havoc on any semi auto rifle or handgun if enough are fired before you clean it.

Okay, so if it's not the trigger and not the mag, then it must be the extractor. My pistol was spotless clean and starting stovepiping within the first 10 rounds.

Sounds like ordering the extractor will turn out to be worthwhile. Thanks.:)

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Need more info. Was that day the first time you used the ammo that you shot in your pistol? Was your bolt oiled properly? Does it move freely and snap closed when released?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Need more info. Was that day the first time you used the ammo that you shot in your pistol? Was your bolt oiled properly? Does it move freely and snap closed when released?

Some of it was not the first time, some was. I used two different brands. Both copper plated. Some were some that I fished out of my tumbler when I tumbled some a bag of range brass that I bought.:( The other was a box of Aguila Target Ammo.

Bolt oiled properly as far as I know. It moves freely and snaps closed when released.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I would go back and try some Remington golds, Winchester or Federals if you can get your hands on any. See if things greatly improve. If they do not then I would break the pistol down and give it a thorough cleaning, oil and inspect extractor for damage and gumming up underneath then look at barrel cutout for extractor for burrs and polish away if needed. I use to have a Mark II and never ever had ANY problems with it....just got bored with it.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Installed the VQ extractor, took it to the range and shot without a FTF, FTE or stove pipe. I would say it was the extractor at this point. I shot the same ammo and the same magazine plus tried some other ammo.

I will shoot a few 10 round loads through all my mags when I have more time.

I did notice that my factory extractor had rounded off edges, definitely not as sharp as the VQ.

Thanks for all the help!:)

Top Bottom