• ...and so much more!
  • Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    The difference in price between the two is about the difference in quality. Both are good guns for the money. As with most anything you get what you pay for.
    I have never had any trouble with Taurus revolvers. I sold dozens when I had a FFL and no problems. I have owned several and still own a cool Weigand Custom 85 Taurus.
    Rugers cost more and are better quality IMHO.
    Good luck in your search.

Speedybruin4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    The one difference in Taurus's (potentially) is that the Taurus is slightly lighter when comparing the same barrel length and caliber. This could make a difference if its an EDC. I'd still pick the GP100.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    There's always a certain point when the additional cost outweighs the additional quality. This is not one of those times. Enjoy your GP100!

PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    Taurus Cylinder Bind

I had a Taurus Model 85 snub nose 38, and it would sometimes just bind up and not rotate the cylinder. This was a DAO gun, so it was useless when this happened. As has already been stated, the Ruger is a far superior product.

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    I had a Taurus Model 85 snub nose 38, and it would sometimes just bind up and not rotate the cylinder. This was a DAO gun, so it was useless when this happened. As has already been stated, the Ruger is a far superior product.

Sounds like your ejector rod came loose. I've owned many an 85, and when I get one, I blue loctite the ejector rods after a thorough cleaning. They're tough little guns and for the price, they're kinda hard to beat.....

Just my .02.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Ruger > Taurus

logoHeader.gif
    >> Taurus

MrHank

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Westfield, IN
    My vote is for the GP100, but I would try to find one of the older ones. I have a GP100 that I purchased used from Beech Grove Firearms that came in the yellow box with rubber and wood grips and I like it a lot better than the new ones.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    My vote is for the GP100, but I would try to find one of the older ones. I have a GP100 that I purchased used from Beech Grove Firearms that came in the yellow box with rubber and wood grips and I like it a lot better than the new ones.

I have to agree the older GP100's were better quality. I no longer believe you get what you pay for. That is an outdated and no longer true saying to be throwing around.

I also think that Ruger's quality control is slipping as Taurus's quality control is improving. I also believe that Ruger does still does have the edge but the gap between the two is closing. The difference in quality between the two does not justify the difference in cost.

But then if it was me I would save my money and purchase a S&W if I wanted a quality revolver in that size and caliber.

pleiades

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    I've owned and shot both. I will never again purchase a Taurus, not because it's a "bad" gun or that the company is "bad" (that warranty is fantastic!) I will only go with Ruger. In fact, I traded two Taurus revolvers for one Ruger. Save your money and go with Ruger - it's worth the price difference.

Top Bottom