• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    I've been looking as well, and the P22 while it has a fantastic fit, and the weight appropriate, the barrel break down lever is made of plastic and appers to be very weak point. Look for it on youtube, good vids on it which has changed my mind. I'll looking at a browning.

moosebag

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Indiana
    sr22completekit.jpg

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    After shooting Ruger MKII's for years I decided several years ago that I wanted to try a polymer .22. I picked up the P22. It was ammo picky and I couldn't get through 2 magazines without it jamming on me. So I sold it to buy a Sig Mosquito :ugh:. You can guess how that went. So I just went back to MKIIs and Buckmarks.

But I may give the SR22 a chance to change my opinion of polymer .22s.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    I vote Ruger, it is my favorite gun company. The SR22 has had a few hiccups on my 2nd range trip. Some FTF, FTE and some double feeds. I was so mad I wanted to throw the gun in the trash. I went home and cleaned it and now it is back to eating everything. I have put 2,000 rounds thru it and I love it. In summary 1st range trip great, 2nd horrible, the last 10 flawless, maybe some dirt was stuck in it the second trip, but now it runs like a top.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I have had both and I can recommend both. The main difference for me is the mag release. I like the Ruger's better.

The Walther did have a few FTF's with bulk pack ammo, but with CCI, it was flawless.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    My brother and a friend of mine have both transitioned from the Mosquito to the SR22 in the last year. Both say they wished they would have started there instead of losing so much money on the Sigs.

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    I have had both and I can recommend both. The main difference for me is the mag release. I like the Ruger's better.

The Walther did have a few FTF's with bulk pack ammo, but with CCI, it was flawless.

If it doesnt eat bulk, I dont want it. just my opinion, though.

SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    I recently bought an M&P 22 and I'm blown away by how great it shoots, I love that pistol. If Glock made a dedicated 22LR, I would own that as a trainer which is why I went with the M&P. At 24 ounces, it is about the perfect weight for polymer pistol owners.

It's a full sized pistol with fantastic ergonomics, drop free mag, mag release in the right place, easy to clean, adjustable sights, functions flawlessly on bulk ammo and fits full size M&P holsters.

However, it has a really annoying plastic ambi safety that I detest, but not enough to remove it yet. It also has a magazine safety which I may also remove at some point. The sights are not 3 dot combat sights, but are serviceable.

I'm seriously considering an M&P 9 for my next pistol.

ymmv

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Not wanting to complicate the Walther-Ruger decision....but I too have an M&P 22. It is a great shooter and fed the 3 or 4 ammos I have used so far which has included 15+ year old Federal bulk (found it hiding) and Remington Golden Bullets, and a couple of others. However, it seems that it is usually at least $50 or more expensive than the others. I have an M&P 9c, so it made sense to me.

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    Not wanting to complicate the Walther-Ruger decision....but I too have an M&P 22. It is a great shooter and fed the 3 or 4 ammos I have used so far which has included 15+ year old Federal bulk (found it hiding) and Remington Golden Bullets, and a couple of others. However, it seems that it is usually at least $50 or more expensive than the others. I have an M&P 9c, so it made sense to me.

If it's reliable and will take bulk ammo, I would pay more than a P22... and if it's a worthy trainer for my M&P 40C, then it's worth the extra over the ruger. I will have to start looking around to see what I can do. Time for a trip to the LGS

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Ruger

My range guy and gun dealer who sells both, told me to go with the Ruger.
    He says the Walther is way to ammo picky. I was looking at both recently.

Napalm217

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I have only had the chance to shoot the P22 but when I did the gun was really good for being 22 pistol. I will admit that it did have a few jams but I have had those on my 22 rifle before so I think it depends on the ammo.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I heard a guy talking about recalls or frame issues on the Ruger? That seems unlikely to me, but I was curious if anyone else had heard that. I have a walther that I really cant complain too much about, but I shoot "better" ammo generally out of the handguns, I keep the bulk stuff for the rifles. I am a bit of a Ruger fan-boy though, so I would like to shoot one!

jamstutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Berne
    I heard a guy talking about recalls or frame issues on the Ruger? That seems unlikely to me, but I was curious if anyone else had heard that...

None that I am have heard of. I have an SR22 and it has been great--utterly reliable so far. The only other .22 LR semi auto handguns I've had that have been as trouble free have been a Ruger Mk III and an old Beretta Jaguar.

Stringtown

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    I have a Wather and it works just fine. If anyone is have feeding problems, just polish the feed ramp. That should take care of it.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Ah man, I didn't know what you the M&P held twelve, that is pretty cool. I want one with a threaded barrel for sure. Better yet would be a 22lr conversion for my full size M&P9...

Top Bottom