• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Crazy question I know. I only own one shotgun. I really like my Ruger O/U. Reading the owners manual Ruger says the gun will shoot any commercial shotshell. Does the include good old fashioned rifled slugs? Obviously a person would want to use the skeet or IC choke tube. Also there would be a difference so far as where the slug impacts depending on if the top or bottom barrel were used. The issue I see is that Ruger uses a "back bored" barrel. I see where some manufactures say a person can shoot slugs through these and others say no. Truthfully I don't know what to think. Opinions anyone?

Why am I asking? Not sure really. I suppose if I ever decided to hunt deer this would be the only deer legal gun I own. Maybe as a do all utility type gun? I was looking at a stoeger condor outback and they caught my eye as a very utilitarian type of gun. No, I am not going to cut down my shotgun, but I have no problem carrying it in field.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    It should shoot them just fine. Just use the correct choke tube. I'd be interested to see how accurate it was.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I admit that is cool. Not going to buy one but cool.

I emailed Ruger. Doubt I would ever shoot a slug but the gun has a barrel selector. Slug in the top for deer and 4 shot under for Mr. Squirrel. Of course that might be illegal?

hawg9259

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    brazil
    what did ruger tell you? i thought with baked bore barrels you didnt, but im not sure, like to know what ruger tells you.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Forgot about this actually. Ruger emailed that slugs in the 20 gauge guns was OK. Accuracy from the bottom barrel would be bad. No mention of whether I could shoot from my 12 gauge. I will interpret that as a no.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    make sure you use the lower bbl first though. It is the one that will take the recoil best on an O/U. All you need to do then is make sure you have the right choke in it. I have one but since I also have a slug gun, I never tried this before. Should work fins though.

Please use the bottom barrel first though. It is so much easier on the gun.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Bottom barrel would not shoot to the same point of aim. Barrels are regulated to cross at some set distance.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    The bottom barrel is known to be the one to use for higher recoil items but those using an O/U and lets face it, it will aim to the same place as the top one where the angle in it is meant. Otherwise shooting with the gun would not be easy to do and the sights would essentially be meaningless. Your objection is one I have never run across in many year od skeet and trap shooting. In fact, when I first started out I was told to use the bottom barrel for all my single shots as it was easier on the gun.

Now, I will go away. I could really care less what you do and if it winds up screwing the gun up n the long run... well I told you so.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yes for trap shooting a person should use the bottom barrel as it lowers the bore axis and there should be less perceived recoil. The bottom barrel is almost always the first one to fire. The exception would be hunting and if a person needs to change chokes. This would require a barrel selector. A quality over and under will have the barrels properly regulated for shot. Slugs would be a different animal.

I do not plan on firing any slugs after getting Rugers response.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    So, this is a non-question………..

pulling-hair-out.jpeg

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Curiousity more then anything. Ruger stated 20 guage would handle slugs and to use the top barrel. No mention of 12 guage. If they had said go for it I would have bought and tried some slugs through the skeet and improved cylinder chokes. Like I mentioned before Stoeger sells a condor model that they market as a do it all slug/shot gun. Just seemed like an interesting concept. And who knows I might decide to go out and shoot a deer, I have shot them before and they make good freezer meat.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    The bottom barrel is known to be the one to use for higher recoil items but those using an O/U and lets face it, it will aim to the same place as the top one where the angle in it is meant. Otherwise shooting with the gun would not be easy to do and the sights would essentially be meaningless. Your objection is one I have never run across in many year od skeet and trap shooting. In fact, when I first started out I was told to use the bottom barrel for all my single shots as it was easier on the gun.

Now, I will go away. I could really care less what you do and if it winds up screwing the gun up n the long run... well I told you so.

So this is based on hearsay. So gun manufacturers designed a system when used as designed it will be "hard" on the gun? I shot trap for many years and never heard this gem. I guess I better stop shooting doubles because shooting my top barrel is "hard" on the gun. O/U were designed to shoot both barrels.

Top Bottom