• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joeman3285

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Montgomery County
    So what do you all think? Which is a better 44. mag? My dad has a redhawk which I've shot multiple times and it seems pretty nice. However, I worked up in Alaska last summer and everyone and their brother had a 629 for bear defense. I shot one of those and they seemed pretty similar to a redhawk, with maybe a little less recoil even though the barrel was shorter (5.5 vs 7). Anyone experience this?

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I've owned both also and ended keeping the super redhawk because at the time I couldn't find the grips I liked for the Smith and I like the grips on the Ruger.

Both are fine guns, the Super does have a great scope mounting system which at the time I thought I wanted but since then I've settled on Irons sights and hunting for closer ranges.

You can't go wrong

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    I have the 629 Classic Deluxe and it is my favorite revolver. It has an 8 and 5/8" barrel. This gun is a pleasure to shoot and definetly makes you feel proud to own one when it goes off. Even better one in each hand! I put a head shot on a doe last fall with open sights at 65 yards with this gun, dropped her right there. +1 for the Smith.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've owned and sold a ruger redhawk 5.5", a s&w 629 4", and a ruger super redhawk 7.5". Of the three the super redhawk is the only one I'd consider buying again. The redhawks trigger pull wasn't nearly as nice or as light as the s&w, but the s&w can't take the heaviest of loads that the rugers can. The super redhawk with a set of Hague taker grips was an awesome combo, but it just ugly as sin with that barrel shroud. Hope that kind of helps.

Are you looking for hunting locally in Indiana or are you going to have this up in Alaska on trips?

vork08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    NWI
    Off the top of my head I can think of half a dozen people I personally shoot with that have the redhawk, would have to really try to come up with one of them that has the Smith. I believe actions speak louder than opinions on which one is the better aquisition. That's why I would lean ever so slightly to Ruger.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Probably for AK. You say the s&w has a harder time with heavier loads?

There's some factory ammo out there that is only safe to fire out of the rugers and some other guns. Don't get me wrong, because the S&W's aren't bad guns and a regular full power 44mag is a heck of a beast, but the loads I'm referring to are the +p type that are usually maxed out on both the amount of powder they can fit in the case and the weight of the bullet itself. The reason I brought that up is that a lot of what I read about the guys with revolvers in alaska is that they use the biggest baddest ammo in their 44mags that they can find, and that could potentially be a problem with a S&W.

Have you considered the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan 44mag? It's kind of a bulldog looking revolver, but that'd be right up there on my list of guns to consider.

Another trend I've noticed and this is from another forum all together is that there's a growing popularity of guys in alaska using glock 10mm's. The only catch to that is that they almost all buy an aftermarket 6" lone wolf barrel so they can shoot the heaviest cast loads out there. The 10mm with the biggest and baddest ammo available for it isn't much far behind the 41mag, and 15rds in the mag may give you a warm and fuzzy feeling if you ever needed it.

While I know something about the 44mag I mentioned, please keep in mind that I don't live in Alaska so my advice may not mean much. I've only been there once and I'd love to go back. IfI did, I'd probably take my 10mm loaded with the nastiest ammo I could find. At least that way when they found my body they could have a better chance of identifying it since the serial number is plastered all over on glocks.

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    I own both, a 7.5" redhawk circa 2001 and a 629-1 4" circa 1981 and the smiths trigger is WORLDS better then the ruger. Either way you can't go wrong. I wish my redhawk was 4". Heheh

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    A shooting buddy just went through the same ordeal. He liked the price of the Rugers and the options of barrel length and finish. Liked the feel of the 629 and the smooth double action. He fell in love with the 629 Performance Center model and had to have it... so he bought it and it is SWEET.:rockwoot:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    gilmore.jpg

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Six-Two-Nine:rockwoot:

My personal flavor is a 629-5, 6" full lug. Hands down the best handling and most accurate 44 I've ever shot.

Don't be mislead by the "Ruger is stronger" business. There's good reasons to go with a Ruger, but that is not one of them. Very few shooters will actually put enough "Ruger only loads" downrange for it to matter. And, really, if you are needing some small brick of a bullet pushed to 44+p+, just step on up and get a 454 (or better yet, 460 or 500:D). Every big game animal in the world, even the African 5, has been taken with a 240gr .429 solid- it's plenty. Not to mention that the faster you move big bore bullets, the less they penetrate. The Smith will handle anything you want done with a 44 and still be doing it for your kids and grandkids.

joeman3285

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Montgomery County
    There's some factory ammo out there that is only safe to fire out of the rugers and some other guns. Don't get me wrong, because the S&W's aren't bad guns and a regular full power 44mag is a heck of a beast, but the loads I'm referring to are the +p type that are usually maxed out on both the amount of powder they can fit in the case and the weight of the bullet itself. The reason I brought that up is that a lot of what I read about the guys with revolvers in alaska is that they use the biggest baddest ammo in their 44mags that they can find, and that could potentially be a problem with a S&W.

Have you considered the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan 44mag? It's kind of a bulldog looking revolver, but that'd be right up there on my list of guns to consider.

Another trend I've noticed and this is from another forum all together is that there's a growing popularity of guys in alaska using glock 10mm's. The only catch to that is that they almost all buy an aftermarket 6" lone wolf barrel so they can shoot the heaviest cast loads out there. The 10mm with the biggest and baddest ammo available for it isn't much far behind the 41mag, and 15rds in the mag may give you a warm and fuzzy feeling if you ever needed it.

While I know something about the 44mag I mentioned, please keep in mind that I don't live in Alaska so my advice may not mean much. I've only been there once and I'd love to go back. IfI did, I'd probably take my 10mm loaded with the nastiest ammo I could find. At least that way when they found my body they could have a better chance of identifying it since the serial number is plastered all over on glocks.

I heard that about a 10mm. Thats interesting and I'll look into it. I do like the reliability of a revolver though. I have looked at the Alaskan. It might be the one I end up going for assuming I can find one.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I heard that about a 10mm. Thats interesting and I'll look into it. I do like the reliability of a revolver though. I have looked at the Alaskan. It might be the one I end up going for assuming I can find one.

The only draw back I've read about the alaskan is the weight of it. I'd be willing to bet that most of the guys carrying 44mags that decided on the 629, chose it because it's lighter than most Rugers. Weight is another factor to consider and S&W shines there.

Top Bottom