• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I'm one of those that has owned both. As a matter of fact the Redhawk was my first handgun. I still have the 629. I think its a better gun, better fit and I like the trigger better. My preference is S&W over Ruger. However both are excellent manufactures, I just prefer S&W.

Last edited:

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    For a pure work horse ....... Redhawk. I own both. I have a S&W 329pd in the "never let go" pile. Love the gun. But if I wanted something to shoot alot and beat the snot out of it would have to be the Redhawk. S&W are far ahead in fit and finish right out of the box with better triggers, but you just cant beat the rugged ol ruger.......just my .02

Elmoh01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Evansville In.
    Having owned both, I preferred the Redhawk with the 5.5in barrel. I feel you get more gun for the money when it comes to durability, especially when you shoot 300+ grain bullets.

jrm400

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Hobart
    S&W has a smooth as silk action.....and any of the N frame 29s (.44Mag) are more than heavy duty enough. If you need +P+++++ just step up to the next caliber, or just tow a cannon.

I miss my 629 which I sold during a hard financial time about 10 years ago, and intend to replace it soon.

By the way have you checked out the Mountain Gun S&W offers? It's an "N" frame, scandium alloy, light to pack, corrosion resistant, Bear stoppin, rootin tootin, six shootin, high strength .44 mag, GEM! A heck of a hand stinger! And all with lifetime warranty.

Last edited:

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    I made this same decision a few months back. I collect Ruger's so I'm a big fan of the brand and quality. I also have years of expierence with S&W revolvers, especially K and N frame's, which I feel have excellent out of the box smoothness and accuracy. The gun was for my brother who wanted it for deer hunting. Weighing all factors, It came down to price and resale value down the road (either brand is going to take down a deer).

Nice used versions (I hate to pay sales tax !) of both were priced within a few bucks of each other, so the S&W won out based on what I considered the better resale value.

We ended up with a rarley shot 629-6 Classic, 6-1/2" barrel, Hi-Viz fiber optic front sight, off an individual for $650.00. I picked it up for my brother sight unseen and he is a happy camper.:yesway:

Sooner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2011
    Noblesville
    I like & respect Ruger revolvers they are good guns, however I LOVE S&W revolvers. They are much prettier than Rugers and as mentioned have much better triggers. I had a 66-2 and wish I never had to sell it, but when times are tough some things have to go. I would buy the 629 and enjoy the heck out of it.

Top Bottom