• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Anderson
    I'm looking to get a .22 handgun just for plinking. I'm not looking to do competitions or anything like that, and I have it more or less narrowed down to the Ruger SR22, and the Walther P22. My brother already has a Walther P22, which appeals to me so that we could swap out mags and other accessories between the two of us. Of course the other part of me doesn't want to have a gun that matches my brother...

I was just curious what your thoughts are between the two guns, and if there's maybe another .22 handgun I should take a look at.

To give you some better ideas of what drew me to these two guns:

Both have full length slides (unlike the Mark III for example).
    Both slides lock back on an empty clip.
    Both are DA/SA, with external hammers which can be manually thumbed back.
    Both guns have mag releases in comfortable locations (although I like the push button release on the SR22 more than the lever release on the P22).
    And both are reasonably affordable.

n9znd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    2 weeks ago My Wife and me had a Ruger 22/45. She was having trouble working the controls on the gun. She has little hands that are not very strong. 2 Weeks ago we rented a Walther P22. She loved it but it was picky about amo and the Hammer block safety kept going on and it would not fire. But she loved the size and was able to work everything and load magazines. Well I had a chance to buy one of the new Ruger SR-22 and I I love my SR9C, So I bought it. It was a little cheaper than the Walther. We took it to the range and it ran off of Federal Bulk (300 rds no hiccups). If it was $50 more than the Walther it is money well spent. Hands down better than the Walther and cheaper too and my opinion alot better made considering the slide is Aluminium and not zink. You would probably do okay with the Walther but you will love the Ruger. I posted all about it on another post. Jim

jkirby

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    Kokomo/Bunker hill
    If your stuck on those 2 guns, my opinion is go for the Ruger. the Walther will be more picky with ammo and you just can't beat the reliability of a Ruger. Everything i have heard and saw from the SR-22 is that it eats everything and functions flawlessly. I'm a MKIII 22/45 man myself but if i was in the market for one of those two guns it would be the Sr-22 hands down.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    I have owned 4 p22's and recently traded my last one at the 1500 for a sr22 jus to try something new. I'm glad I did, no regrets. The ruger is flawless to this point, after 100 rounds, which the p22 was a good plinker, but just never quiet seemed to be 100 percent reliable.

The sr22 has a few things that the p22 didn't that I really like, heavy one piece barrel and ramp assembly, and a de-cocker. And I really like that the safety being engaged dis-engages the trigger completely from the hammer and is mounted in the frame instead of the slide.

Overall I like both pistols a lot but in the end, I will choose the ruger. And just so it's known, I'm not a ruger fanboy. This it the first one I have had and liked.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Wow! Just shot my new SR22 today. No issues.

My Buck Mark doesn't like anything but CCI, but this Ruger ate up the cheapest .22lr ammo I could put in it.

I am so impressed. So happy I got it.

Top Bottom