• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobcoop06

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Marshall County
    This is going to be a Christmas gift for my Dad. He doesn't have much experience with handguns, but he has been having fun shooting mine lately. I don't have experience with either of these two guns, but he liked the feel of them both in the gun store. I can get either one, the SR40 or M&P40, brand new for $400. So my trusty experts, please give me the pros and cons of these two weapons and help me make up my mind. I have a feeling that the M&P is going to be the better piece, but I would like your input...

Thanks!

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Yep! M&P gets my vote! it comes with different size back straps from the factory, I own two of them both are highly actuate and felt recoil is low, plus they have one of the best triggers right out of the box, M&P hands down! and you won't be sorry. :D

Sullivan_pbr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Romney
    Well, I can't speak for the m&p but the SR40 is a excellent handgun. I've had my SR40 since early this year and I like it so well I'm considering picking up the compact model also. So far I've had zero problems with it and it is very accurate. So, +1 for the Ruger.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Couple of thoughts
    SR40 is cheaper!
    M&P has been around longer

I have shot neither!
    I have shot the SR9C. It is nice.
    I am going with the M&P though.

bobcoop06

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Marshall County
    In this case, the M&P will not be cheaper, I can get them both for the same price. And I would rather stick with .40 as that's what everyone else in my family shoots and I have a surplus of ammo. He'd be the only one with an oddball 9mm. Plus, he's a big guy, he can handle the .40!

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    The M&P hands down!

The M&P is a much more ergonomic handgun, and this will naturally make it an easier handgun for your father to learn.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    I've put 1500+ rounds through my M&P 40 pro flawlessly in the 3-4 months since ive gotten it. I havent shot the SR40 (nor even held one) so id hate to say the M&P is a better choice.... But damn do i love my M&P!

f'nstar

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    I say M&P all the way but i haven't shot or handled the other choice. The stock trigger on and M&P isn't to bad, but if you ever shot an M&P with an APEX kit you would have it in every M&P you own. Also the grip on the M&P is second to none in my opinion just because you can change it around to fit your hand. :twocents:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I say M&P all the way but i haven't shot or handled the other choice. The stock trigger on and M&P isn't to bad, but if you ever shot an M&P with an APEX kit you would have it in every M&P you own. Also the grip on the M&P is second to none in my opinion just because you can change it around to fit your hand. :twocents:

The APEX will probably be required. I don't own either, but I did try a M&P45c at my local shop the other day and the trigger was terrible- mushy, gritty, etc. It might have something to do with me being use to S&W tuned revolver triggers, but in any event, the trigger was nasty enough to turn me away from it. No experience with the Ruger, so I can't say on that one.

f'nstar

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    The apex kit is awsome i can say the stock triggers are kinda nasty to me since i have shot the apex kit. The fullsize 9 mm i just bought my wife just recieved the apex kit, my 9L has the competition springs with a sear i filed myself.

ADT knights

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Hendricks County
    I have a XD40 and love it but when I got a M&Pc it became my favorite of the 2. Once I finally get a holster for it, it will be my new EDC gun. I have also never held or shot the SR40.

gibby101

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Liberty
    thats a hard choice both are great weapons but im going to go with the m&p it is a absolutely amazing weapon system def worth every dollar spent will absolutely love it

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    He's a noob?
    Likes shooting for fun?

Get the 9mm version of either.

I have a .40 M&P. Its a nice gun and I like it a lot. I have .40s, my wife has 9s. She shoots a lot cheaper than I do. After reading a lot of these "knockdown power" articles, I am kinda wishing I had gone 9mm on everything for cost and simplicity in reloading etc. If I could start again, I think I would go all 9 all the time. just a thought. Nothing wrong with .40. Just ask yourself if there is anythiing really wrong with a 9? If not it might be the better choice...

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    This is going to be a Christmas gift for my Dad. He doesn't have much experience with handguns, but he has been having fun shooting mine lately. I don't have experience with either of these two guns, but he liked the feel of them both in the gun store. I can get either one, the SR40 or M&P40, brand new for $400. So my trusty experts, please give me the pros and cons of these two weapons and help me make up my mind. I have a feeling that the M&P is going to be the better piece, but I would like your input...

Thanks!

the MP's have a rep as being soft shooters...meaning that they aren't as punishing to shoot on the body as some other guns. My MP 9mm pro is an extremely soft shooting gun.

The MP comes with 3 size of interchangeable back straps, so you can try them out and see which one fits his hand the best. I use the large one...being a ham fisted big guy. :)

The pro's do come with a better trigger...something to think about.....

Top Bottom