• ...and so much more!
  • Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    S&W PC guns usually have different barrel profiles and lengths. They some times have different finishes.
    I have had dozens and dozens of PC guns come thru the shop and I have never seen any extra action work on any of them from the PC.
    They have a ribbed mainspring and slightly lighter rebound spring.
    Some of the older PC guns had forged hammers and triggers but all the late stuff is all MIM.
    If you want a certain barrel length or look and a PC gun has that then go for it. But don't expect any custom action work inside.
    A PC gun will cost more but when/if you sell it, it will be worth more.

SA VS DA? depends on whether you want to spend more time shooting or loading/unloading the gun.:draw:

SicSTi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne, IN
    From what I've seen and heard, the guns are put together differently in the PC. The cylinder is non fluted and chamfered. Fluted barrels, timing work does to make sure its perfect, and all the pieces in the action are supposed to be cut and sized to fit each gun perfectly instead of an assembly line build... etc, etc... but it could all be bull**** too, lol.
    Believe the hammer and trigger are different in these too, with a pin set to limit over travel.

Here is a pic of the one I was looking at:

DYJTGTp.jpg

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    From what I've seen and heard, the guns are put together differently in the PC. The cylinder is non fluted and chamfered. Fluted barrels, timing work does to make sure its perfect, and all the pieces in the action are supposed to be cut and sized to fit each gun perfectly instead of an assembly line build... etc, etc... but it could all be bull**** too, lol.
    Believe the hammer and trigger are different in these too, with a pin set to limit over travel.

The Performance Center may have started out taking more time to assemble and hand fitting things but that is not the case now.
    Non fluted cylinders have been offered on PC and non PC guns for 20+ years.
    Fluted barrels and/or different barrel profiles and lengths are a signature of the PC over a non PC guns.
    I'll repeat NO hand fitting of any kind in any of the PC guns I've tuned.
    Hammer and trigger are the same in PC or non PC guns. Some PC guns have a external trigger stop(roll pin in back of trigger) instead of internal trigger stop in rebound slide.
    Some PC guns have a different front lockup than non PC guns.
    I've seen PC guns come in the shop that should have never left the factory they were so screwed up.
    For the most part the S&W revolvers PC/NON PC are still fantastic guns and run great.
    I haven't seen any more problems with them than Ruger or others.

That is a cool looking revolver and IMO if you lay that PC gun next to a Blackhawk and can't see why it cost twice as much then maybe you should just buy the Blackhawk:nuts:

If you have a desire for heavy bullets and seriously heavy loads then maybe a blackhawk would fit better.
    For normal 44 mag loads you won't ever wear out a 29/629. Even a few thumpers throwed in won't hurt them.

Good luck and enjoy which ever one you decide on.

biggggg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    FISHERS
    I have owned and shot frequently the 629 and the stainless redhawk, both are excellent handguns.... redhawk is heavier,629 has better trigger pull... have owned for around 20 years plus... love both of them. Put hogue grips on redhawk,packmyer on629.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    My experience with the PC guns is exactly the same as Bosshoss. I was working on S&Ws when the PC first started up. This was back in the 80s when S&W would build almost anything you could dream up if you ordered 5000 of them. Lew Horton specials. The 625-2 of 1988 was from that era. We won't see the likes of those guns ever again. I always advised customers to buy a standard model and then have it tuned to their needs instead of buying a PC model.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Having just bought my first PC gun(a 929) and having discussed this with Bosshoss, I believe I paid extra for a very capable Platform, but I got nothing in the way of performance tuning. If you just have to have the exact specs the PC gun offers and the other models just won't do, then pay the money. Just don't expect a mind blowing custom action. (in fact, right out the box, mine wasn't even "Good"! Very heavy and gritty before I cleaned it and fired it a bunch. It still needs a tune.)

I also own a SBH Hunter Bisley. It's a great gun. I have a Leupold 2x scope on it. From a bench rest this gun has shot sub 3" groups at 100 yards several times. I can't do it on command(I need more practice!), but the gun has repeated it enough for me to believe it. Eventually, I'm going to work on my handloads and push for the mythical MOA revolver. For accuracy, I run 300-310gr gas checked lead over a full charge of H110. It's a pretty heavy load and the Bisley grip transfers that recoil to your hands, but the gun stays pointed downrange. The recoil is not uncomfortable, just a solid shove. With a Plowhandle grip, the gun flips up hard and you have to reset your girp a lot. I've had the back of the hammer/frame "plow" into the web of my thumb because the gun flipped so much. This load may not be ideal for Indiana Whitetail. It'll punch clean thru, potentially without doing as much tissue damage as a Hornady XTP, or similar.

You may also consider a BFR. I recently shot one and was very impressed. Shooting 454, with the big rubber grips was downright comfortable. And at short range, it stacked the bullets right up in a hole. I'm not willing to admit this in writing, but it may or may not have out-shot a Freedom Arms 454 in my hands... I'll just blame poor reloads. That must have been it. BFR's are extremely capable guns. They're only a little more money than a Ruger, and I believe they are worth it. I haven't shot one in 44, they are large and may be over-kill in that caliber. But hey, you won't have Any problems with recoil with Any load!

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I've seen the giant Hogue grips for plow-handle frames, but I really hope they don't make them for the Bisley(although they probably do). As far as managing big recoil, for my hands(everyone is different), the Bisley grip is second only to the FA M83 frame. I've shot the Hogue finger-groove stocks on a 44 Ruger and didn't like them at all. The BFR version wasn't as bad about grabbing skin and moving it, but with the checkering you'd likely develop calluses in a hurry! It was all about where and how they direct the energy back to the shooter. Everyone has different hands so everyone will have preferences.

I haven't shot my big single actions in a couple months, I need to find some range time for these things! :D

randy68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I sold my Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter so I could but a Smith 629-2. I had no qualms with the Ruger other than I wanted the Smith. The accuracy was the same for me with both handguns with my handloads. Personally I just like my Smith better as it has a better feel to me. Either one will get the job done.

SicSTi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne, IN

SicSTi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Also trying to decide on what optic I will use. I usually prefer Irons (My Henry has black/gold Skinner sights), however with a pistol I feel I would rather use a setup that will help me ensure a better shot on an animal vs a setup that is just for my personal enjoyment. I really like the idea of a red dot as you get a better field of view on that animal and really don't want a big bulky scope. The 2 properties I hunt would probably never give me an opportunity to make more than a 50 yard shot so magnification isn't really needed anyways.

The one I'm probably gonna order will be the Leupold Deltapoint Pro 2.5 MOA.
    Leupold Optics DeltaPoint Pro - | Leupold Optics

Top Bottom