• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Just thought I'd share a few thoughts on the Ruger Vaquero and the new grips that I just received from Texas Grips.

I just recently picked up a Ruger New Vaquero 45 Convertible in bright stainless with a 4 5/8" barrel. Though I'm not really a revolver guy, and especially not a single action revolver guy, I do love and appreciate their design and beauty. I've always concentrated my funds more towards firearms as defensive tools, so the vast majority of my collection is polymer frame 9mm and .45 handguns, with a few ARs and AKs sprinkled in for good measure.

I've reached a point where I don't have any need for another polymer frame pistol or semi auto rifle. This Vaquero is the first gun that I've bought in a long time for the sheer enjoyment of ownership and range fun. I don't otherwise have a single use for this pistol, although being a convertible able to shoot .45 ACP, it could certainly be pressed into service for a defensive role with the stock of ammo I have for my other .45s. No, this is a fine piece of machinery with a design that pays homage to one of the many guns that helped settle the west. Some may turn their nose up at a piece that is not a Colt or Colt clone, but I'm betting that the stronger design and ability to safely load 6 would have made a believer out of more than one gunfighter worth his salt in the old days.

As for the iconic "plow handle" grip on most single action Peacemaker style pistols...well, meh. Some love and swear by the original design, but I've always found the plow handle to be a bit awkward, and in the case of the New Vaquero, small. Almost a 2 finger grip in my case, which is not a good thing for feel and balance on a piece with the heft of the Ruger. I have handled a Bisley grip New Vaquero, and would have gone with that style of grip in a heartbeat, but a convertible .45 model is not to be had from the factory with the Bisley grip. Being that I wanted something that would shoot the cheaper and ubiquitous .45 ACP ammo, I went in search of a solution.

I found Texas Grips online and ordered a set of extended grip panels. The original grips from Ruger are rosewood. I went with Texas mesquite for the new grips.

I have to say that I have never been more happy with a new set of grips for anything that I've ever owned. These things are not only gorgeous, but completely change the balance and feel of the pistol in hand. It's honestly like a different model! Almost like a Bisley grip, but more of a flare in the rear of the grip. This thing feels awesome in hand.

Here is the pistol with the original grips.

Vaquero-1.jpg

Ain't it pretty? :)

Now here are the original grips on top of the newly installed Texas grips.

Vaquero-2.jpg

And the new and improved!

Vaquero-3.jpg

My polymer pistols have come and go, but this one will be with me until I'm gone. It's been a long time since I've had a gun where I'm thinking, "Yeah, I'll never sell this one."

I love this pistol so much, I might have to name it Salma. :cool:

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Congrats!! You will enjoy it. It is built well and your grandkids will be passing it on to their kids, they last.

I have had a bunch of Ruger single actions over the years, currently have 6 of them, mainly 45 Colt and 44 Mag. Also have Colt, Magnum Research and Uberti single actions.

Don

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I bought my first Ruger 44 Single Action in 1967. Carried it in a Geo. Lawrence Complete rig. Shot Vermin and Game and junk cars in the pasture until the pot metal ejector rod flew off. With a long standing run with Rugers maybe I can add some excitement. IMHO Bill Ruger did for the gun industry what Richard Lee did for handloading equipment. Good stuff at working man prices but just a few shortcuts in longevity now and then. Knowing what to look for, one can really have some nice shooters. Please understand that as produced your production Ruger makes a fine gun with good value. However, personal tweaking is most of the fun with my guns. First whenever I buy a new gun, I shoot it for accuracy and warranty issues. I have sent more than one back and Ruger CS repaired and returned my gun within two weeks, sometimes one week. The repairs have been inconsistent charge holes in the cylinder, frame machined too low in rear exposing hammer strut, poor fitting grips, and point of impact for the intended caliber. I suggest one looks these over as CS will take care of it under warranty. A visual inspection can reveal the grinding mistakes made at the factory. Many frames are ruined in shaping but Casual Gun Owners don't care to complain and live with it. After all, it doesn't really affect performance but life is too short for me to put up with substandard stuff.

My friend Brian Pearce taught me many years ago how to check chamber diameter in the cylinder without expensive range rods. Take a jacketed bullet of a known size, lets say .4295 for this example of a 44 Super Blackhawk. Remove the cylinder and hold cylinder facing down and drop your bullet in the cylinder. Now you can measure where the bullet tip references the exit chamber. Some may fall all the way through and some will be uneven and some will be almost perfect. Now that I have consistent cylinder bores, I then shoot the gun for accuracy at 25 and 50 yards, if I can get great groups then I forge ahead to regulate the sights for my loads. Elevation is easy by finishing front sight down to POI. If for some reason, the gun is misbuilt by not having a tall enough front sight to adjust, it goes back as all my handguns must be regulated for lowest possible POI at 25 yards which gives me plenty of elevation with adjustable sights or fixed sighted guns. Windage is more often all over the board with factory production being piece work and all. Some of my Rugers have had to go in for barrel turning as they missed the mark in assembly and bank on many shooters not caring enough to change it. Tsk. Tsk. Next, all my Super Blackhawks, Blackhawks and Vaqueros are tuned and situated with a Wide Spur Super Blackhawk Hammer. It has a lower and wider profile but not as low as the Bisley. Now that the gun is a worthy shooter I tend to the finishing. While I had had many and still do have Stainless Rugers, my favorite are the blued models. Rugers Stainless is too porous for me. I now have to bevel the front edges of the cylinder to facilitate reholstering and matching the looks of all my revolvers that the designs are late 1800 hundreds. The carbon steel is by far my preferences. If the fit on the frame, grip and barrel are satisfactory, I now have to do something with the grips. Ruger production is so that the grip frames are ground all over the board making it difficult for production grade grips to fit neatly. Not like all my Colt's SAA that have the frame finished to the supplied grips. So many moons ago I found the best grip fitter in the world right here in Indiana. Legal Ivory, Real Stag and Exotic wood all have been fit to my frames perfectly with no frame metal showing or overlaps. Life is again too short for riff raff sub standard grips. They must perform and look good both. The only convertibles I have settled down with is my all carbon steel Single Six Vaquero in .22LR and .22 WMR. Both cylinders are extremely accurate in this piece but I found not so much in 9mm/357 or 45 ACP/45Colt. This thread reminded me of getting my first Super Blackhawk in 1967 and how far my love for shooting has brought me. Not that I didn't have fun with run of the mill factory pieces but there is no comparison to a finished product that looks good and shoots accurately and is dependable. If any of you would like the name of my Grip maker, or other information on how to bring your Ruger up a notch or two, please PM me.

Daniel170

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2020
    La Porte
    I've always like my rugers. Still trying to decide as to whether an Uberti El Patron or New Vaquero will be my go to gun for practicing quick draw but I definitely know that Ruger's will last lifetimes.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Either grip is gorgeous but the bigger one for a fuller grip would have to be my choice!
    Nice! It is a piece of art! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom