• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    As a famous .22LR expert once told me: quit worrying about accuracy & just find a gun you enjoy shooting, which won't necessarily be the most accurate (or something like that).
    His name is Aeroflyer.

There is a lot of truth to that. I recently picked up a Smith 617-1 22 revolver and when accuracy testing from a rest I found it to be less accurate than my MKIIs or 41 which is not surpising but free handed I still shoot it at times nearly as well as the more accurate guns.

As to the Ruger vs Buckmark I have had great experiences with various MKIIs and 1st gen 22/45s and have never even fired a Buckmark. Most of my best targets in over 30 years of handgun shooting have been shot with MKIIs or 22/45s. Only other 22 semi-auto pistol I have is a Smith 41.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    When it comes right down to it, If you compare your other guns to a smith 41 then go buy a 41, I have seen 1 pistol (41) that was unreliable, and the person sent it back to smith and they put a whole new barrel and spring assembly and it still had the exact same problem. I shot it and it didn't have any issues. the guy sold it and the next owner didn't have any issues.

The issues seemed to follow to owner and not the next people who shot it.

Maybe it wasn't the gun.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    If you are a modder take the serialized part into consideration. Ruger is on the upper Buckmark is on the lower. Both fantastic guns. Got rid of mine since price went stupid on .22lr.

Plinker556

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2020
    Central Indiana
    I looked hard at Buckmark, S&W Victory, and the Ruger MKIV recently.
    This is MY takeaway from the research and conversations I had while trying to make a decision on which one would be best for me, I'm not bashing.
    Reliability - I saw a lot of comments about Victory having issues
    Accuracy - probably all the same, exceed most people capabilities
    Aftermarket - Big win for the Ruger, you can get anything you want
    Price seemed competative between the all.
    Availability - Ruger (at the time)

I got the Ruger MKIV 22/45 tactical and had fun upgrading it and shooting thousands of rounds without issue. I shoot cheep bulk Thunderbolts and the good stuff CCI Mini Mags. The CCI is more accurate but both run fine.
    The trigger out of the box on the Ruger needed some help but there are plenty of options out there and they are pretty easy to work on.

I guess the aftermarket support probably was the deciding factor for me to go to the MKIV, I wanted something I could "tinker" with.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I looked hard at Buckmark, S&W Victory, and the Ruger MKIV recently.
    This is MY takeaway from the research and conversations I had while trying to make a decision on which one would be best for me, I'm not bashing.
    Reliability - I saw a lot of comments about Victory having issues
    Accuracy - probably all the same, exceed most people capabilities
    Aftermarket - Big win for the Ruger, you can get anything you want
    Price seemed competative between the all.
    Availability - Ruger (at the time)

I got the Ruger MKIV 22/45 tactical and had fun upgrading it and shooting thousands of rounds without issue. I shoot cheep bulk Thunderbolts and the good stuff CCI Mini Mags. The CCI is more accurate but both run fine.
    The trigger out of the box on the Ruger needed some help but there are plenty of options out there and they are pretty easy to work on.

I guess the aftermarket support probably was the deciding factor for me to go to the MKIV, I wanted something I could "tinker" with.

Enjoyed reading your "take" on these guns.
    I've had:
    - 4 Buckmarks (a 7.25" Hunter presently)
    - 4 Victorys, including a Performance Center, but none presently
    - 3 Mark 4s (1 presently) & 2 Mark 3s (one presently)

I have enjoyed them all, and your comment about accuracy is probably spot on.
    Someday, now that I have optics on all of them, I'll do a challenge to see if any shoots any better than the other.
    That would probably vary depending on the kind of day I'm having.
    At that point, it would probably be which is the better optic I'm using on a particular gun. :dunno:

Plinker556

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2020
    Central Indiana
    Enjoyed reading your "take" on these guns.
    I've had:
    - 4 Buckmarks (a 7.25" Hunter presently)
    - 4 Victorys, including a Performance Center, but none presently
    - 3 Mark 4s (1 presently) & 2 Mark 3s (one presently)

I have enjoyed them all, and your comment about accuracy is probably spot on.
    Someday, now that I have optics on all of them, I'll do a challenge to see if any shoots any better than the other.
    That would probably vary depending on the kind of day I'm having.
    At that point, it would probably be which is the better optic I'm using on a particular gun. :dunno:

You would know better than I would about these three, I haven't owned a Buckmark or Victory.
    I am a S&W fan and wanted to like the Victory, how was reliability with the ones you owned?

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    I have had plenty of all of them. No real reliability problems with any of them and like them all. Ruger is and will always be most popular and most aftermarket support. I feel the buckmark and smith are better out of the box. My favorite is the victory. I like stainless and feel this points the most natural for me. Enough aftermarket support to do anything I want with it. I have fun back and forth the last few years between them all but this is my most current and one I plan to upgrade some. Honestly wouldn’t say any are better than other. Just all comes down to preference and feel
    View attachment 88955

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just all comes down to preference and feel

This is 100% the right answer.

Each brand has its pros and cons, depending on the user’s preferences and goals.

Between my wife and I, we’ve had 4 MkIII target, 1 MkIII 22/45, a MkIV Competition, a MkIV Target, a BuckMark Camper and a Victory. I started with Ruger and it’s where I’ve stayed, she started with the Victory, then BuckMark and ended up with a Ruger.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You would know better than I would about these three, I haven't owned a Buckmark or Victory.
    I am a S&W fan and wanted to like the Victory, how was reliability with the ones you owned?

No issues.
    I picked up another mark 4 last week and when I ran a few magazines through it, I really enjoyed it.
    I remember thinking how I really liked shooting it.
    Of course, I feel like that every time I get another one after selling one.:laugh:

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    Curious if it outshoots the mk iii for you.

No issues.
    I picked up another mark 4 last week and when I ran a few magazines through it, I really enjoyed it.
    I remember thinking how I really liked shooting it.
    Of course, I feel like that every time I get another one after selling one.:laugh:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Curious if it outshoots the mk iii for you.

Now that will be a fun shoot-off.
    A Mark 3 & Mark 4, both bought from members here: which will be the best?
    Probably a matter of which has the better optic. :)
    I can't imagine much of anything beating that Mark 3: it's quite the shooter!

I am looking forward to putting all my semi-autos to the test against each other and finding out the pecking order. :popcorn:
    But, for right now, I intend to do that with the rifles at 100 yds.
    I even picked up another rifle, a Henry pump to join the fray. :dunno:

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    not to mention both from same person. What kind of moron would sell two great rugers
    Now that will be a fun shoot-off.
    A Mark 3 & Mark 4, both bought from members here: which will be the best?
    Probably a matter of which has the better optic. :)
    I can't imagine much of anything beating that Mark 3: it's quite the shooter!

I am looking forward to putting all my semi-autos to the test against each other and finding out the pecking order. :popcorn:
    But, for right now, I intend to do that with the rifles at 100 yds.
    I even picked up another rifle, a Henry pump to join the fray. :dunno:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    not to mention both from same person. What kind of moron would sell two great rugers

When I said, "both bought from members here", I forgot that I bought both from you. :laugh:
    I was thinking of another I'd bought a Mark 3 from, but that one is long gone, and this one was yours. :dunno:
    I just want you to know I'm glad be there for you, by buying your .22LR rejects. :lmfao:
    I'm that good of a friend. :D
    I used to love buying Aeroflyer's rejects b/c he would upgrade with triggers, springs and even barrels in his.
    Your going to have to step up your game. :popcorn:

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    But does he price his stuff so that you can basically cover the cost with pocket change like me

When I said, "both bought from members here", I forgot that I bought both from you. :laugh:
    I was thinking of another I'd bought a Mark 3 from, but that one is long gone, and this one was yours. :dunno:
    I just want you to know I'm glad be there for you, by buying your .22LR rejects. :lmfao:
    I'm that good of a friend. :D
    I used to love buying Aeroflyer's rejects b/c he would upgrade with triggers, springs and even barrels in his.
    Your going to have to step up your game. :popcorn:

Plinker556

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2020
    Central Indiana
    I agree, the Ruger out of the box needed a trigger upgrade to be on par with the Buckmark and Victory.

I put in a Volquartsen / Apex hybrid of trigger parts into my MK IV and am very happy with it. I normally don't tinker with my self defense stuff too much but I discovered how much fun the .22's are to shoot and upgrade. Willing to take a chance on reliability for a range toy when I know I won't be depending on it to to defend myself.

I think a good project this winter will be putting together a "frankengun" 10/22.

Top Bottom