Ruger's new offering today? AR-15 entry model...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    That is why I worded it the way I did. Bill would have continued to build guns he wanted. As much as I like his guns, I am liking the direction Ruger is going. While I love the big revolvers, I had no use for the bulky semi autos. 10/22, love it. No use for the older bolt guns. But with the American Rimfire with the threaded barrel coming out, I can see my Savage finding a new home. The SR9c has been with everyday since I got it. Unless the accuracy isn't on par with what I already have I can see me with the AR556. I will gladly give up a DPMS fora Ruger.

I am am still holding out hope for an SR45 and a 4" Super Redhawk in 44.

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    It'll be interesting to see what the reviews look like when more people get their hands on them, but as of now, I'm sold. Looks like I found myself a Christmas gift :yesway:

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I've been thinking about the evil black rifle for a while now. Just to have one, and take it out to play from time to time. I think I might have a Ruger or 6. Slightly found of the brand. Will definitely be watching the posts in the next few months. Maybe next spring I will get one. :): I thought the same as others...seems like it will kill the mini-14.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    I read your post last night, I agree. Proprietary barrel nut from the factory.....figures...

Watched a video from Guns and Ammo, I find it extremely hard to believe Ruger is actually making everything in house

Yes, I deleted last night's post because I am much less aggravated this morning.

In short, Ruger is using a proprietary barrel nut and threaded delta ring. And I (of course) broke the delta ring. It was pretty annoying that I can't just run down to the LGS and get a new one. Anyway, I called Ruger this morning and they are overnighting me one, for free... so I'll be shooting this weekend after all.

Regarding the parts, I bet Ruger is not actually making any of them in-house (okay, maybe the stupid new delta rings), but I'm okay with that. They are assembling the rifles in North Carolina, but I assume they are buying all the part from outside sources.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I put my hands on one yesterday at ZX guns while i was purchasing my new SA Loaded in 9MM. The rifle felt nicely built and a solid gun. They are sticking to the under $600 claim, just like it stated in the article. They have them for sale for $589.00.

I bought an Anderson stripped lower and got an email from Midway USA that they have a complete package right now with everything to complete the build. It is on sale for $499.

I would have almost the same amount in a build as I would have in the Ruger. Yea yea the fun is in the build, but the resale is in the ruger. I already have a Spikes that I'm tricking out for me so this one would be for my wife and Grandkids to shoot, so high priced parts are not needed.

After dropping the $$$$ on the RO yesterday, I might have to go back and Laway the Ruger AR.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    yes with other peoples things, do you hear that loud whirling sound....that bill ruger spinning in his grave knowing that his company is making 1911's, ar's, pepper spray and bb guns! oh and they make a awesome lcp, or as another company calls it, the keltec p3at

do you think that if William Batterman Ruger was still alive he would let the companay he started kill off his guns? ie who'll buy a ruger mini 14 when they can buy a ruger ar15?, and with the same question with sr22's and mark 3's?

dont get me wrong, i love rugers! i think the 10/22 is the best 22 rifle ever made!, i still own a ruger p85 that i bought 25 years ago(my first handgun) my mark 1 was made in 77 and is still running strong! i'd buy a sr22 over a walther p22 any day

but at some point i ask myself is ruger getting too big for their own good? i mean who needs to make another ar15? or should i say inexpensive ar15,(ie get in line with bushmaster, dpms, smith and wesson and how many others?)

if ruger wants to impress me, just make their products available, i mean come on, i could announce a car that'll do 195 mph, and get 200 mpg, and cost 5 grand, but if i never make one what good does it do?. how many people waited over a year just to see a ruger 1911?and then paid way over msrp just to say i own a ruger 1911?

Actually I also own several Rugers, including 2 SR1911's. The full size I did wait a "long" time for, but the Commander showed up at BGF in just over 2 weeks, and that was right after they were announced. Oh and btw I paid just over 600 for each of them.

Top Bottom