• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doublebarrel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 26, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    So, this is like Steel Challenge under a different name. Plenty of clubs shoot Steel in Indiana. Next Friday MCFG MCFG - Indy Range Official Website - Shotgun, Pistol, Shooting Range will have a Steel Match. You can shoot both rimfire pistol and rifle.

My understanding is that, this Ruger competition is more of less like a GSSF match, only that you don't have to shoot a Ruger, and you only shoot rimfire. It's less competitive and more family oriented, so kids can shoot along with adults. I've been to the FNS a couple times (haven't done that during the winter. Too cold :)), and most likely will be there with you guys next Friday...

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I've discussed this type of match with other shooters and came to the conclusion that it's virtually identical to divisions within some existing matches (Steel Challenge, FNS, etc.). Since it's already tough to get help to run those matches, it seems like a tough sell to get a bunch of help to run an additional match that's basically the same as an existing match. I applaud Ruger for trying this, but I think unless they have paid organizers like the Glock matches, it's going to be a tough sell.

G7.

SteelShooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    WYOMING; SOMEDAY...
    Several times over the years I have run a similar match at Atlanta Conservation Club. Look for the 2012 version in September, on the 22nd, of course.

My monthly SCSA steel matches are VERY .22 friendly (maybe a bit too easy for 22 rifle - - but that makes it a speed shoot for them, and they all compete against themselves in their own division anyway.) Nearly HALF of the entries of late have been in the .22 divisions. I have 6 -- Revolver, Pistol, and Rifle; each with Iron and Optic divisions.

I looked at the course-of-fire ideas that Ruger had, and they look a lot like the SCSA-based stages I use.

doublebarrel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 26, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Several times over the years I have run a similar match at Atlanta Conservation Club. Look for the 2012 version in September, on the 22nd, of course.

My monthly SCSA steel matches are VERY .22 friendly (maybe a bit too easy for 22 rifle - - but that makes it a speed shoot for them, and they all compete against themselves in their own division anyway.) Nearly HALF of the entries of late have been in the .22 divisions. I have 6 -- Revolver, Pistol, and Rifle; each with Iron and Optic divisions.

I looked at the course-of-fire ideas that Ruger had, and they look a lot like the SCSA-based stages I use.

Do you guys allow single action revolvers? If so, do you require shooters to have TWO revolvers to join? Ruger has this very, how can I say, ridiculous rule in their rule book:

Cowboy/Cowgirl class competitors must have two standard single action revolvers loaded with five (5) rounds in each or one higher capacity single action revolver loaded with up to ten (10) rounds and a rifle capable of holding ten (10) rounds. The competitor's second revolver shall be placed on a table in front of him or her.

http://www.ruger.com/micros/rugerRimfire/pdf/Rules.pdf

G7.

SteelShooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    WYOMING; SOMEDAY...
    As a match director, I am guessing the reason for that rule is to speed up the administration of the match.

To answer your question - - YES, I have a Cowboy division for SCSA (Steel Challenge) matches. So far, only ONE competitor takes advantage of the offer, but he does on a regular basis. This division is for ANY SASS handgun (just at my matches - it's not a universal thing) and is therefore a centerfire division.
    For the September match, there will be a place for Ruger Single-Six / Single-Ten guns. For the monthly matches, a Mk-II or III is a much better choice.

doublebarrel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 26, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thanks for the answers. It seems like a pretty expensive requirement just to shoot rimfire matches, cowboy style. I don't have any SA revolvers yet, but interested in the old style guns. That was the reason I asked about that rule...

Top Bottom