• bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Little follow up, still telling on myself. :rolleyes:

I ran a couple matches with the carry gun. Done OK, for the matches counting as most of my practice lately. Certainly did NOT run with the big dog competitors though. :n00b:

I noticed at the end of Sunday's match the trigger seemed quite hard to pull. Thought it was just fatigue. In hind-site, I remembered the match before had the similar "fatigue." Geez, I must be way out of shape, ugh.

Thought about it later and decided to check. Damn that trigger seems stiff when dry fired. Put the trigger pull gage on it...
    ...9# 8oz. :ugh:

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I swapped out a trigger on one of my 19’s the other night, ****canned a serrated in favor of a smooth, and it had twice the fuzz easily. Took it to Parabellum yesterday, dumped 2 boxes of 124 NATO ball, and 25 Critical Duty 135+P’s through it “just to be sure”. I may shave it before I carry it, but then again, maybe not. I mean hell, there are some here that don’t even keep a gun long enough to gather fuzz...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Little follow up, still telling on myself. :rolleyes:

I ran a couple matches with the carry gun. Done OK, for the matches counting as most of my practice lately. Certainly did NOT run with the big dog competitors though. :n00b:

I noticed at the end of Sunday's match the trigger seemed quite hard to pull. Thought it was just fatigue. In hind-site, I remembered the match before had the similar "fatigue." Geez, I must be way out of shape, ugh.

Thought about it later and decided to check. Damn that trigger seems stiff when dry fired. Put the trigger pull gage on it...
    ...9# 8oz. :ugh:

Any idea what's wrong with it?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Any idea what's wrong with it?

Putting another (newish/clean) slide assembly on didn't change anything much, so the most of the problem was in the lower. A cleaning and lube dropped the trigger pull down to 5#.

I like my triggers around 4#, so there is still some smoothing out to do. I noticed some uneven wear on the trigger safety and extractor plunger in the slide. :dunno: Left it for now, just cleaned and lubed.

The convenience of the Glocks is that they are inexpensive enough to have an extra or two around. :) The newsish/clean "test slide," that I put on the dirty gun to isolate problems, went back on it's frame then into my holster as EDC.

The formerly dirty gun will get a mostly range only delegation until I can smooth out that extra pound in the trigger.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Putting another (newish/clean) slide assembly on didn't change anything much, so the most of the problem was in the lower. A cleaning and lube dropped the trigger pull down to 5#.

I like my triggers around 4#, so there is still some smoothing out to do. I noticed some uneven wear on the trigger safety and extractor plunger in the slide. :dunno: Left it for now, just cleaned and lubed.

The convenience of the Glocks is that they are inexpensive enough to have an extra or two around. :) The newsish/clean "test slide," that I put on the dirty gun to isolate problems, went back on it's frame then into my holster as EDC.

The formerly dirty gun will get a mostly range only delegation until I can smooth out that extra pound in the trigger.

time for new trigger spring? it helps pull the trigger, so if it's getting tired, well, it wouldn't help as much ......

-rvb

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Interesting... I didn't think being dirty would have that much effect on the trigger pull.
    I think the lube was more important than the cleaning. If I had it to do over again, I'd test that theory by just lubing.

My Glocktalk research pointed to a drop of oil where the trigger bar rides on top of the connector. That site is where I got the smart idea to swap slides for diagnosis also.

time for new trigger spring? it helps pull the trigger, so if it's getting tired, well, it wouldn't help as much ......

-rvb

Possible. Approximately how many cycles does it take to weaken?

The gun is carried a LOT more than shot up until now. 2-3K rounds through it maybe? Add maybe 1K dry fires and a daily press check for a couple years.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I think the lube was more important than the cleaning. If I had it to do over again, I'd test that theory by just lubing.

My Glocktalk research pointed to a drop of oil where the trigger bar rides on top of the connector. That site is where I got the smart idea to swap slides for diagnosis also.

Possible. Approximately how many cycles does it take to weaken?

The gun is carried a LOT more than shot up until now. 2-3K rounds through it maybe? Add maybe 1K dry fires and a daily press check for a couple years.

lube is DEFINITELY way more important than clean (assuming we aren't talking packed full of mud and sand, etc). if it ain't broken, lube it, it'll work. my experience from everything from glocks to 1911s to ARs ..... though if you have enough lint to knit a scarf, maybe worth blowing out (I've had way worse than what you showed and it worked fine).

I'd say it takes a lot more than that to wear out a trigger spring. I was just spit-balling ideas that might save you the hassle of digging deeper...

If it was dry and you only added the usually-advised "one drop of oil," then that ain't enough. make sure everything back there that moves, slides, or bends has oil on it. same with the firing pin block in the slide, the striker, the trigger, everything. no need to take anything apart, just a couple drops here and there and then put it back together and cycle it and work the trigger a couple dozen times to spread the slippery goodness around. then re-measure and see if you need to do any real work.

always works for me, but I'm a rebel who treats glocks slightly different than the manual says. I once tore a tag off a mattress and drove 60 in a 55 zone, too. :)

2c

-rvb

Jag3212323

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2018
    Johnson county
    I had worse happen. A couple summers ago I carried a Shield most of the summer. Towards Fall, I went to clean it and when I went to drop the mag I couldn't depress the mag release. It had rusted completely solid due to a summer's worth of sweat. After that I realized that anything being carried close to the skin needed to be cleaned every couple of weeks or so, or at least oiled frequently in spots.

I have noticed that S&W slide releases come out of the box pretty stiff. I’m not shocked that the mag release (or the slide for that matter) could get locked up fairly easily. But it could have been a really hot summer though too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I have noticed that S&W slide releases come out of the box pretty stiff. I’m not shocked that the mag release (or the slide for that matter) could get locked up fairly easily. But it could have been a really hot summer though too.

It was. A couple of summers ago where it was hot and humid most of the summer and I wore that gun every day against my sweaty skin, even while mowing.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    If I wore anything while mowing it would have been way nastier than yours. Good luck in the future.

Now that I know it can be a problem, it's not a big deal. When I get done mowing, or doing other physical activity, I wipe the gun down when I am able and add extra lube if needed. So far it's worked out fine.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I sweat all the time. I have a NiB slide on it and the sweat has tarnished it.
    I get rust on my mags. I end up swapping the spare mag out and using it for range work because it had such a build up on it. The inside of the gun usually looks like the OP pic, or a little worse.

It has always worked, but at times I feel bad about it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I made the slide of an early gen 2 Glock 17 rust and pit. I may be the only person who has accomplished that feat of bravery and daring.

Top Bottom