• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    I keep seeing posts after posts after post stating the same thing: "Read the FAQs and/or stickies."

Here in lies the problems as I see it:

• There is a full weeks worth of rules reading, that often repeats itself, or is written in a less than clear manner.
    • The location of needed information is scattered about, to make finding any needed information difficult to locate in a timely manner.
    • Some information within the FAQs is dated, or just outright wrong.
    I realize that there is a moderator shortage at this moment in time and I don't believe that anyone can deny the hard and fair work of some moderators. However, wouldn't it be easier to have both clear and concise FAQs, instead of the current collage of various rules? It certainly would create less work for everyone, and whole lot less frustration if it were so.

Now before anyone tells me that the current rules are in fact, clear and concise, I do remember a mod making a public statement that the staff were currently working on the problem with the said FAQs, in an attempt to make them more understandable and user friendly. However, due to the shortage of staff, it wasn't a priority. I'm proposing that it has now become a priority.

Fenway has stated publicly that it is easier and more timely for a mod to just assign an infraction, than a moderator to otherwise correct a user. While Fenway and the moderators might think that an infraction isn't personal, I can honestly state that there have been some instances that a staff member has torqued someone on this board----just as some users have done the same to the owner or the mods. Some of the posts on this board do show a level of frustration by both a select number of users and staff members at one time or another.

Technicalities aside, and just because some things may just be "understood" by a "majority", still doesn't smack of being fair. There are any number of users on this board that have differing cultural and educational backgrounds, that should necessitate this problem being corrected now.

As the current staff is apparently too overworked, I propose that the ownership and moderation of the board seek out individuals that have a gift for objective writing, and ask that they take responsibility of a given subject, dissecting same, and return a workable set of rules to post on the board.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Well, you've identified a problem.

Sounds like it's time for you to get to consolidating and typing, and submit your draft for approval :D

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Well, you've identified a problem.

Sounds like it's time for you to get to consolidating and typing, and submit your draft for approval :D

I would be willing to take an assigned section, if asked.

Somehow though, I think that it would be a cold day in Hell before certain individuals in a position of authority would allow that to happen.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Actually, having assigned sections to volunteers that the Mods review before publishing might be an effective way to distribute the work. I'd be willing to do a chunk.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Believe it or not, it IS under discussion. :) The biggest holdup thus far has been to what extent to "revise and extend" the rules, as we want to do that as well as putting them all together in a single, easily referenced location or format.

We have 8 staff members, all with different ideas, opinions and schedules; you can imagine that getting all of us together to discuss something, much less agree on it, can be quite a challenge.

The notion of farming the work out to the membership was not something that had occurred to us, but we will certainly take it under advisement.

Thanks to all for your suggestions and your interest in helping make INGO a better place for everyone.

:ingo:

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    I_Farted_That_Way.jpg

:D WE Have a FAQ ???

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    I propose that the ownership and moderation of the board seek out individuals that have a gift for objective writing, and ask that they take responsibility of a given subject, dissecting same, and return a workable set of rules to post on the board.

Sounds like a good idea, and may save the staff some time/energy. I'd also be glad to help out if asked.

Whoever was asked to do it could use the current FAQ/Stickies, etc, and without totally changing them, put them in a better order, grammar, organization, etc.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    We have enough laws that are enforced selectively, we dont need new ones.

INGO, state laws, federal laws....what ever.:D

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    JBusch,

Your signature, user title and general attitude on INGO makes me wonder why on earth you continue to participate in our community.

I do however like your suggestion. Thanks!

I keep seeing posts after posts after post stating the same thing: "Read the FAQs and/or stickies."

Here in lies the problems as I see it:

• There is a full weeks worth of rules reading, that often repeats itself, or is written in a less than clear manner.
    • The location of needed information is scattered about, to make finding any needed information difficult to locate in a timely manner.
    • Some information within the FAQs is dated, or just outright wrong.
    I realize that there is a moderator shortage at this moment in time and I don't believe that anyone can deny the hard and fair work of some moderators. However, wouldn't it be easier to have both clear and concise FAQs, instead of the current collage of various rules? It certainly would create less work for everyone, and whole lot less frustration if it were so.

Now before anyone tells me that the current rules are in fact, clear and concise, I do remember a mod making a public statement that the staff were currently working on the problem with the said FAQs, in an attempt to make them more understandable and user friendly. However, due to the shortage of staff, it wasn't a priority. I'm proposing that it has now become a priority.

Fenway has stated publicly that it is easier and more timely for a mod to just assign an infraction, than a moderator to otherwise correct a user. While Fenway and the moderators might think that an infraction isn't personal, I can honestly state that there have been some instances that a staff member has torqued someone on this board----just as some users have done the same to the owner or the mods. Some of the posts on this board do show a level of frustration by both a select number of users and staff members at one time or another.

Technicalities aside, and just because some things may just be "understood" by a "majority", still doesn't smack of being fair. There are any number of users on this board that have differing cultural and educational backgrounds, that should necessitate this problem being corrected now.

As the current staff is apparently too overworked, I propose that the ownership and moderation of the board seek out individuals that have a gift for objective writing, and ask that they take responsibility of a given subject, dissecting same, and return a workable set of rules to post on the board.

zip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    I read through the rules and thought I would give my 2 cents. take it as you will.

as far as the this thread. https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._forum_tips_-_please_read_before_posting.html

The only real change I would make is for the classifieds. At a date in addition to a post count. Most scammers/Spammers are not going to wait a month or two to post an add they will most likely go some where else, IMHO they may removed some of the burden of the mods having to be on the look out for spammers.

Now on to the FAQ, these seems a little daunting to read so I am going to go over the presentation of it. The FAQ is two pages long with a lot of info and links. I would make the suggestion to break it up some, so it is not so intimidating.

Example. I would put all the info for getting a LTCH and Carrying info in the carry issues and so on. I think this way if a person is looking for some info they can go the proper section of the forum and find it. Just some thoughts take it as you will.

Personally I feel the mods do a pretty good job. Modding a forum with people from all walks of life is hard.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    Believe it or not, it IS under discussion. :) The biggest holdup thus far has been to what extent to "revise and extend" the rules, as we want to do that as well as putting them all together in a single, easily referenced location or format.

We have 8 staff members, all with different ideas, opinions and schedules; you can imagine that getting all of us together to discuss something, much less agree on it, can be quite a challenge.

The notion of farming the work out to the membership was not something that had occurred to us, but we will certainly take it under advisement.

Thanks to all for your suggestions and your interest in helping make INGO a better place for everyone.

:ingo:

I'm a mod on the Yellow Mustang Registry forum. If you need help and I can be of help, say the word.

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    JBusch,

Your signature, user title and general attitude on INGO makes me wonder why on earth you continue to participate in our community.

I do however like your suggestion. Thanks!

YQW.

I would be more than happy to enlighten you of the remainder, provided that I wouldn't be wasting my time to do so.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom