• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stove

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a 4 month lab mix. He is a GOOD dog. Trained him at 10 weeks on the invisible fence, take him farming(always watched out for equipment), is great with my 3.5 year old, and listens great, though he likes to dig.

We were going to Ohio this am for 2 days, so I thought I'd get up early and go get him some things to keep him occupied while we were gone. I return home, and he normally runs along side or in front of the truck, I idle in the drive. Half way in the drive and I'm looking for him, and see his shadow in the fog lights. I stomp the break, and at that instant I got him.

I jump out and he has got himself to the garage door. I get him calmed down, and in a few minutes am on my way to an emergency vet. By the grace of god, this dog has no broken bones, nothing ruptured internally via ultrasound, and has gravel rash and 5 stitches. As I am driving to the vet, am thinking, "how am I going to tell my daughter that I killed the dog." Someone was looking out for our family friend this morning!!

What a day

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    You must be living right.
    Might consider a lottery ticket.
    Telling kids the bad things in life is never easy.
    Telling them you killed her pup would have been unbearable.

Somethings happen for different reasons.

Glad you are seeing the bright side, though I'm sorry it happened.

Stove

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You must be living right.
    Might consider a lottery ticket.
    Telling kids the bad things in life is never easy.
    Telling them you killed her pup would have been unbearable.

Somethings happen for different reasons.

Glad you are seeing the bright side, though I'm sorry it happened.

Not sure if I am living right or not!! I took it as a sign that I should not go on our trip.

It would have been truly horrible to have to tell my little one. She has lost a great grand parent about a year ago. We have talked, as much as you can, with her about people and pets passing away. We still have pictures of our last dog, a boxer, that we had to put down when she was 2. Then she was to young to grasp what was going on, but now she looks at the pictures or home videos of them together, and says that was my "bubby" and he is in heaven. Rodman(the boxer) and my papaw smith are watching over us, someday we will be together again. So she would have been a trooper I'm sure, but I am real glad I did have to have that talk with her!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Sounds to me like somebody gets a steak for supper tonight... No, I don't mean you. You get to cook it for him, enjoy every second of doing so, and thank God for your friend still being around to eat it.

I don't mean this to sound like I'm coming down on you. I'm not, because accidents do happen.

I'm glad yours only involved minor injuries.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Sounds to me like somebody gets a steak for supper tonight... No, I don't mean you. You get to cook it for him, enjoy every second of doing so, and thank God for your friend still being around to eat it.

I don't mean this to sound like I'm coming down on you. I'm not, because accidents do happen.

Blessings,
    Bill

And, you should be sure to offer your doggie his choice of beverages to go with that steak!

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I have a 4 month lab mix. He is a GOOD dog. Trained him at 10 weeks on the invisible fence, take him farming(always watched out for equipment), is great with my 3.5 year old, and listens great, though he likes to dig.

We were going to Ohio this am for 2 days, so I thought I'd get up early and go get him some things to keep him occupied while we were gone. I return home, and he normally runs along side or in front of the truck, I idle in the drive. Half way in the drive and I'm looking for him, and see his shadow in the fog lights. I stomp the break, and at that instant I got him.

I jump out and he has got himself to the garage door. I get him calmed down, and in a few minutes am on my way to an emergency vet. By the grace of god, this dog has no broken bones, nothing ruptured internally via ultrasound, and has gravel rash and 5 stitches. As I am driving to the vet, am thinking, "how am I going to tell my daughter that I killed the dog." Someone was looking out for our family friend this morning!!

What a day

Baby aspirin is like a miracle drug for dogs.

Glad to hear it's not too bad.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake

Blessings,
    Bill

Sounds about right to me.:yesway:

Glad to hear your best friend only sustained minor injuries.

jrich2125

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Atlanta, IN
    Glad to hear man's best friend is ok. Just a suggestion, maybe get the fence run up the sides of the drive. We have two german shorthair's and it has worked great for them.

Stove

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Glad to hear man's best friend is ok. Just a suggestion, maybe get the fence run up the sides of the drive. We have two german shorthair's and it has worked great for them.

I have been giving that some thought. I honestly believe it was a fluke perfect storm sort of thing. I had the radio up, and I think he heard it and gave a slight pause, just enough to catch him. I'm guessing based on the injuries, that I just caught the rear flank, pushed him straight down and right off. Gravel rash to his underside, and laceration in same area.

His update. Ended up doing an ultrasound to make sure his kidney's and bladder were not ruptured, had some blood in the urine. Everything showed fine, with "trash" in his bladder(blood clots from the trauma). So I opted to leave him tonight with an IV in to puts lots of fluids through him to breakup and flush out the trash. Dr said he was the friendliest trauma dog he has had for a long time. Been up walking around have a good time, I'm happy about that for sure.

I have a little one that is missing our friend. We have only had him a short time, and you don't realize how attached you become. For instance, he knows my truck(to well now), and his house in in the rear of the house. So we come down the road and he triggers all the motion lights. We come home tonight and nothing. At least he will be back tomorrow!!

thanks everyone

Top Bottom