• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    When we're not training for marathons my wife and I usually run about 4-6 miles a day on weekdays and usually a little longer on weekends. We live in a relatively safe part of town, but we run early in the morning when it's still dark and have had run-ins with loose dogs and some suspicious characters on occasion. I would like to start carrying on my runs, but as you long-distance runners know, weight is a huge concern. I'm wondering, what gun do my fellow INGO runners carry and how do you carry it?

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    On 3-mile runs I carried a Taurus TCP .380 in a cell phone type holster. I used a leather belt, drawn tight, to hold in place. It worked.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    40   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Depending on how concerned you are regarding weight, the Kel Tec P32 is a solid option. Just 6.6oz (unloaded). Consider that the G43 is 18oz unloaded, to put it in perspective. A .32 is good for dogs, but definitely pretty light for people. A j-frame .38 is a good option as well, and weighs about 13oz depending on model. My dad has the P32, and it runs reliably.

To to anyone who says it can't be accurate, I lost a bet to him once, wagering that he couldn't hit a skeet target sitting on a post at 40yards with it. To my disbelief, he shattered the target first round. It might be a weak round, but it CAN be accurate.

PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    I run about 35-40 miles per week near my house in Evansville and don't carry during those runs. As has been said, weight is a big consideration, and I have never found a way to carry while running that works for me. I am very familiar with the route and there is virtually no foot traffic, except a handful of other runners/walkers. However, I realize there is risk even in these circumstances. I was running recently and 2 large labs decided to join me. At this point in my trek, I was in an industrial park, with no close houses. Thankfully, the dogs were friendly, as most labs tend to be. However, it did make me think, what if they had been hostile? You certainly can't outrun them. The biggest danger this time of the year (if you run in the early morning as I do) is cars. I have had some close calls, even while wearing a neon orange shirt and reflective items. Tragically, a woman in Evansville was struck and killed while running in the early morning a few weeks ago. Until the time change occurs, it is awfully dark out there in the mornings.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I did a lot of miles last year, and I carried the same rig I carry everywhere, full sized SR9 in a bianchi carry loc holster on a bio belt. I was by no means training for a marathon, but I would do 2.5 to 3 miles several times a week.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Running is the only time you'll catch me not carrying. I have enough trouble with just the extra weight of my phone, carrying a gun would probably slow me to a fast walk. :):

snowdrifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Next to Atterbury
    Taurus TCP in a Nathans running belt has worked for me. Has accompanied me during the last couple years during summer training and on a couple half marathons now. I only use the water bottles depending on the temperature and distance covered. One thing to note however, is that blued steel doesn't like sweat (obviously). I upgraded to a stainless slide TCP and no more rust issues.

Nathan-Trail-Mix-Belt-2-Bottle-N28274_XL.jpg

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    I typically run with this "belly band" style holster https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009DHEF6Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I have 2 of these, a small and a medium. They tend to run a little small, but I like it snug so the gun doesn't move much. I carry a Kahr CM40. I also run with my shepherd mix dog, which is enough to usually keep away unwanted attention from people and animals. Some times I opt to not carry in the warmer weather, as it definitely is more burdensome.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    another Hautian who doesn't respond to PM's.

Hope you figure it out Pokersamurai, I have a number of little guns you could try out but then....
    I don't run much anymore, I walk with a cane. :)

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    running is the one time I normally don't carry. I have looked into belly bands and hydration belts that have pouches but decided the draw would be too slow to have much of an impact. Also Don't like having things bounce around on me. Granted most of my runs are less than 1 hour and In my neighborhood of carmel/westfield where all I have to really worry about is a neighbor calling the cops on my kids throwing sticks at trees. I am more worried about cars hitting me as I am normally running when it is dark.

KJW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Lamb's Crossing
    I've never felt the need to carry while running, and I run a lot, and like you often at ungodly early hours. Firstly, not running alone makes you immediately safer. Secondly, your goal should always be to avoid trouble or confrontation. YOU'RE A RUNNER! Get the hell outta there. Thirdly, if you feel the need to carry some protection while running, there are pepper sprays small and light enough to carry in your hand with almost no effort. Good for animals of all sorts.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    If you can carry a gun, you aren't running fast enough. Seriously, no way could I carry a gun while I run unless I slowed down significantly.

And I'm not sure why you would need one anyway. I'm a white dude, and I've run through the ghetto and projects in Detroit, LA, Chicago, etc..., through farms with big mean ass dogs, and everything else. As a runner, people aren't robbing you unless you're an idiot with all kinds of expensive gadgets (again, read "not an actual runner").

If a big dog comes at you, just go up a tree, pick up a rock, or do whatever you need to do. Normally "want a TREAT!!!!!" works on dogs FYI. If you are seriously worried about dogs, I'd go for a stun gun honestly. You're likely not going to put a dog down with a handgun before it latches on if it's determined, and pepper spray doesnt work on all dogs and is more likely to just hurt you. A stun gun is lighter and plastic (ie, doesn't rust).

Getting hit by a car is the most of my worry. I'm really worried for the people with those dang ear buds in.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    If you can carry a gun, you aren't running fast enough. Seriously, no way could I carry a gun while I run unless I slowed down significantly.

And I'm not sure why you would need one anyway. I'm a white dude, and I've run through the ghetto and projects in Detroit, LA, Chicago, etc..., through farms with big mean ass dogs, and everything else. As a runner, people aren't robbing you unless you're an idiot with all kinds of expensive gadgets (again, read "not an actual runner"). If a big dog comes at you, just go up a tree, pick up a rock, or do whatever you need to do. Normally "want a TREAT!!!!!" works on dogs FYI.

Peopke get mugged on the trails all the time. What's your normal pace?

Top Bottom