Running a Trijicon MRO on an Ultimak rail?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pistoleer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Twelve Mile
    I'm in the market for an optic to run on my SGL21 AK that has been modded by Jim Fuller and the folks at Rifle Dynamics. I'm debating whether to spend the coin on an Aimpoint T1/T2 or save a few bucks and go with the Trijicon MRO. Does anyone have any personal experience running the MRO on an Ultimak rail? What sort of results did you get? Thanks in advance.

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I haven't done this with an MRO so I probably shouldn't respond, but I can tell you what I have run. I have an Ultimak on an SGL21 and ran an H1 on it for a while. I cooked it pretty good and it held up fine. I now run the H1 on the PAP M85 rifle shown below that uses a Midwest Industries Aimpoint specific handguard. I don't think it gets quite as hot as the Ultimak but it still cooks the optic pretty well. I've run the M85 very hard and the H1 has held up just fine. I now run a Bushnell TRS-25 on the SGL and I've cooked it many times and it is also still working fine. I have banged around a couple of MROs on ARs quite a bit and they seem very durable, but I've not gotten them hot like I have the other optics mentioned above.

3M5D0rm.jpg

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I ran a gen 1 Primary Arms RDS on a Draco for many thousands of rounds... while I have no proof, I can't imagine that an MRO wouldn't hold up equally or better.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I really like the Ultimak, and have used them with a variety of optics. The MRO is great, but if you want to cowitness your irons through the optic, the Aimpoint Micro is the way to go. The MRO was built with the AR in mind, and sits a little too high for your SGL. I have wondered if I could get by with one on my SLR104UR that I'm waiting for the stamp on, since the irons sit a little higher.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I really like the Ultimak, and have used them with a variety of optics. The MRO is great, but if you want to cowitness your irons through the optic, the Aimpoint Micro is the way to go. The MRO was built with the AR in mind, and sits a little too high for your SGL. I have wondered if I could get by with one on my SLR104UR that I'm waiting for the stamp on, since the irons sit a little higher.

This is my thought as well OP. It will naturally sit a bit higher which would lead it to maybe being better off with a Micro. I know it's tempting to save some money and go with a MRO but I just saw and H1 on Jet right under $600. Be sure and get what you want. Especially if you already dropped the coin to have RD slick it up for you.

Traderator, who are you going to have do you barrel and gas restrictor work when the stamp comes back? I've been putting off doing one just because I want to find someone good not only to cut the barrel (shouldn't be hard) but mainly tune it to run suppressed. I shot an email to definitive arms but it seems like they are very backed up, I haven't heard from them yet either.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    This is my thought as well OP. It will naturally sit a bit higher which would lead it to maybe being better off with a Micro. I know it's tempting to save some money and go with a MRO but I just saw and H1 on Jet right under $600. Be sure and get what you want. Especially if you already dropped the coin to have RD slick it up for you.

Traderator, who are you going to have do you barrel and gas restrictor work when the stamp comes back? I've been putting off doing one just because I want to find someone good not only to cut the barrel (shouldn't be hard) but mainly tune it to run suppressed. I shot an email to definitive arms but it seems like they are very backed up, I haven't heard from them yet either.

I had INGO's AllenM do it, and he did a terrific job. Mine had the restrictor plug in it too, and he took it out. Can't wait to get my stamp for it.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I had INGO's AllenM do it, and he did a terrific job. Mine had the restrictor plug in it too, and he took it out. Can't wait to get my stamp for it.

Awesome! I'll have to speak with Allen, I know he told me he had one himself. I guess my concern was with the suppressor tune so I won't beat the crap out of the rear trunnion and have it run well with a can. It's all that's stopped me from picking up a 104UR I think. When you get your stamp back shoot me a message if you throw a thread up on it, I don't want to miss your report!

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Awesome! I'll have to speak with Allen, I know he told me he had one himself. I guess my concern was with the suppressor tune so I won't beat the crap out of the rear trunnion and have it run well with a can. It's all that's stopped me from picking up a 104UR I think. When you get your stamp back shoot me a message if you throw a thread up on it, I don't want to miss your report!

Will do. I actually started a thread about it here:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/class-iii-nfa/423807-gunsmith-ak-sbr.html
    Kind of nuts how long I've been waiting on this damn stamp.

Top Bottom