• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    First off, we live in a rural setting on a good amount of acerage, miles from the nearest town on a gravel road.

I had the day off a while back and decided to do some target practice with my pistol. It was around 1030 hours when I finished. So I am sitting on my front porch cleaning my sidearm when a old S10 pick up pulls up (I have a long driveway, cant see the house from the road)

In the truck are 2 mexicans and some white chick sitting in between them. They cant see me yet, they are pulling up slow to the garage looking around and checking things out. When they get closer I stand up and start walking towards them, pistol in hand (its not loaded, I didnt have any ammo left with me)

They spot me, they driver gets a paniked look on his face, I guess he saw the pistol (it was pointed at the ground). The other guy starts yelling at him in Spanish. The driver throws it in reverse and backs up to the turn around and as he stops to put it back in drive the girl leans out of the passanger window and says "we were just lost, heh heh"

They take off like a bat outta hell. Were they just lost as they said? Maybe, I personally think they were crusin the countryside looking for places where no one was at home to rob.

If TSHTF im gonna have to rethink a few things, I may be more vulnerable than I thought. Man I feel like an IDIOT for walking into a potential situation with an unloaded weapon!!

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    That could have been ugly if they saw yer gun and decided to open fire. I think they were dopers looking for a place to score some things to sell. The girl was probably local and knew you lived back there. Did you get the plate? Call the cops?

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Get a gate and keep it closed.

When I leave it open I get visitors........

My favorite was the guy sitting up by my barn in his truck just hanging out. When I questioned him, he gave me a wrong address, and wrong name on stuff he wanted to buy. He did leave nicely.

I had a drunk lady drive backwards down my driveway and hit a tree....That made me mad.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    Well I know I was driving to a INGO members house to deliver an item he was purchasing from me and I was on a lot of gravel roads in the country I was pretty lost, but all of a sudden there it was I found it. So I know its pretty likely they were casing the place but people do get lost...

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Didnt get the plate, they pulled out too fast. I didnt make an official report either, maybe I should have. I did call a few niehbors and told them to keep an eye out.

I have a gate at the front of the drive. Its always open though. Im thinking I might need to start keeping it closed, its a pain in the a** though getting in and out of the vehicle all the time....

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Didnt get the plate, they pulled out too fast. I didnt make an official report either, maybe I should have. I did call a few niehbors and told them to keep an eye out.

I have a gate at the front of the drive. Its always open though. Im thinking I might need to start keeping it closed, its a pain in the a** though getting in and out of the vehicle all the time....

you can buy one that opens and closes on its own by remote, or make your own, its very easy.

also yeah id say they are lost and had been lost for quite some time ...... they should have not crossed that big river they call the rio grande.:D

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Seems you are not safe anywhere. There is more and more crime, more criminals than ever before. Just my opinion I'm not going to debate it and look up statistics. I live in a bad neighborhood and the only thing that works in an urban area are neighbors sticking together. Cops, God Bless them, can only do so much and usually only well after something has happened.

I don't live in an rural setting but wish I did. I hear from friends that when you have land you have to constantly be on guard against trespassers, illegal dumping on your land, people illegally hunting on your land and more often than not getting robbed when not at home.

I would like to hear from more people on this forum. My understanding is crime is getting worse in the rural areas just like the urban areas.

norman428

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Noblesville

But is it worth it if this stuff can't happen again... And if they open the gate, you know their coming to rob you, time to lock and load. (load being key here) :):

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    I hate to be the voice of dissent here, but white people commit plenty of crimes, too.

Did not intent to insult anyone. Just described what I saw the best I could. Im the first to admit I am not always the most politcally correct person. I in no way ment to say that because they were a certin race that they were up to no good.

I apolegize if I offended anyone.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Did not intent to insult anyone. Just described what I saw the best I could. Im the first to admit I am not always the most politcally correct person. I in no way ment to say that because they were a certin race that they were up to no good.

My opinion:

I don't think you don't need to apologize because you didn't do anything wrong. You simply described the people you observed (who you believed were planning to rob you) to the best of your ability.

It's absurd to infer some "racist" motive in what you wrote, yet it's going to happen. Sure, they could have been Guatemalan, but in Indiana it's a virtual certainty they were from Mexico originally or their parents were. When you're decribing people for a good reason (like you had in this story), those are details that matter, especially in cases where an actual crime is committed.

There was nothing in what you wrote that stated or implied that the apparent ethnicity of the occupants of that vehicle had anything to do with their propensity or lack thereof for wrongdoing. You simply told us what you observed, which is the right thing to do.

Some who will always infer some "racism" may have preferred that you used the term "Hispanic" or "Latin," which might make sense in Miami or Los Angeles or New York or Chicago where there are a variety of people from central and south America and the Caribbean. In Indiana, though, the percentage of "Latin" people from those areas is dwarfed but the numbers from Mexico and to a significantly lesser extent Guatemala.

Furthermore, when describing people, "Latino" or "Hispanic" is about as useful as "Asian." I am to the point where I laugh when I hear someone describing someone else as "Asian," because it could mean virturally anything. The terms may be more politically correct, but they're also too broad to be meaningul in the context of describing an individual.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    yep the OP wasnt being racist at all. the other comment "the voice of discent" was a pretty retarded comment in my opinion.

for one, how about they learn english so they dont have to drive a hooker with them all over the place as their translator? ooooooooh yes i went there

Jon Craig

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Lafayette, IN

I wasn't referring to you.

I was referring to the fairly obvious (to me) racism in other's posts.

I don't like racism. I'm white, male, and middle class. I am "The Man", and I still don't like it.

It's fine - this is (still) America, and you're still entitled to be racist if you like. Just as I'm entitled to not like it, and say so.

Top Bottom