Russia and Georgia move to brink of war as fighting rages in breakaway region of Sout

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    If we did commit ground forces or even started running air sorties, we would start WWIII.

"WE" did not invade a sovereign democratic nation, no matter how we do, or do not, respond "WE" didn't /wouldn't be starting anything.

The full responsibility for this act of war rests at the feet of Putin and the Russian (KGB) government.

There is no easy answer!
    But I sincerely do not see how we can just stand by and watch it all unfold.
    There has to be a price for invading a sovereign democratic nation.
    Granted, before we could/can do anything, all of the serious damage, like the takeover of a democratically elected government, will already be done,and probably finished by this Friday!

So what will we or should we do? Nothing or ???????????????

mushroom_cloud.img_assist_custom.jpg

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    "WE" did not invade a sovereign democratic nation, no matter how we do, or do not, respond "WE" didn't /wouldn't be starting anything.
    WE didn't invade Georgia and WE don't invade a lot of the countries/cities/states that get invaded every day around the world. What WE will do if WE attack Russia is start a global war, one where the two doing most of the fighting are armed with nuclear weapons.

Don't take that as me saying we should do nothing, but by committing forces to fight the Russian army, we're putting an awful lot on the line.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Ok I am confused. Georgia invaded Russia. Russia retaliated. What is wrong on Russia's part? What would we do if Mexico invaded Texas? Would the retaliation be any less swift?

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Ok I am confused. Georgia invaded Russia. Russia retaliated. What is wrong on Russia's part? What would we do if Mexico invaded Texas? Would the retaliation be any less swift?

First off Georgia did NOT Invade Russia. Georgia tried to establish control over two Provinces of Georgia that have tried to become independent countries. Russia has given Citizenship to most of these residents and has been supporting the separatists.

This would be like Mexicans in 2 counties of Texas wanting to become their own country and we sent in the national guard and the Mexicans responded by sending in their Army.

They would be invading us not the other way around and that is why Clinton was wrong on Bosnia

That is what is wrong with this.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    You attack Russian citizens you get Russian military response. I see nothing wrong with that. I would do the same thing for American citizens.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    You attack Russian citizens you get Russian military response. I see nothing wrong with that. I would do the same thing for American citizens.

So if we attacked Mexican Citizens who were trying to make a country out of a couple of Counties of Texas its ok for the Mexican Government to attack our Sovereign Territory? Give me a break. We could lose half our country based on that type of Idea.

Virtus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Fishers
    Russia has been gunning for Georgia after they put in the pipeline to the Caspian sea. Russia wants to control all the Oil flow with their own pipeline, they want to be the new OPEC. UN put in "peacekeepers" (90% Russians) in the area that is in dispute when Georgia was first established and that area has been festering since. Russia knows that the UN, EU and US won't do anything so why not expand again. Wish they had a clone of Reagan somewhere. I could hear him know, "Well....there you go again..."

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    So if we attacked Mexican Citizens who were trying to make a country out of a couple of Counties of Texas its ok for the Mexican Government to attack our Sovereign Territory? Give me a break. We could lose half our country based on that type of Idea.

The citizens, in this case, would be ours. The country that attacked had little to no citizenship in that country. They way that they treated the people makes that evident. Plus if the land is disputed then there is no "sovereignty" to it. It is no one's land. Just their citizens. Besides if an old Texas woman said this
    "The Georgians burned all of our homes," said one elderly woman, as she sat on a bench under a tree with three other white-haired survivors. "The Georgians say it is their land. Where is our land, then?" wouldn't you respond?

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Georgia has signed a cease fire but Russia is still advancing and killing the people of Georgia. It also appears that Russia is trying to divide the country.

Russia, it seems, wants to retake the country by force - before Georgia can be brought into the union.

Russia is getting too big for it's britches and needs to be slapped down. Our people have (and are) been evacuated.
    My prayers are with the people of Georgia.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    Map of Georgia, Asia - World Atlas - MSN Encarta

turnandshoot4
    Look at that map.

I don't see any gray areas along the border?
    So how much of Mexico do you think there is inside of Texas?

The Russians have taken Gori and are on the outskirts of the capital city of Tiblisi!
    I DON'T THINK YOU CAN CALL THAT A "BORDER" DISPUTE, CAN YA?

My prayers are with the people of Georgia too.

Last edited:

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    The country that attacked had little to no citizenship in that country.

The borders of Georgia are well established. So you are saying any group of people can move into an area of your country that has little population and claim it as their own? I think not. In fact those people are Georgians but wanted to be something else. In YOUR world they get to and take the land and resources with them.

Not in my world.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    If the borders of Georgia are well established why did they have to go in with troops burning their OWN PEOPLE'S HOMES? Why did Georgia attack their own providence? This just doesn't add up to me.

I also never said this was a border dispute. Georgia attacked an independent providence from what I can tell. The first reports came in that Georgia attacked while Putin was in Bejing for the olympics. Why would the attacker suddenly be the victim here?

Can anyone tell me why this is our business by the way? We are spread too thin as it is to even help Georgia if we wanted to. Do we really want ANOTHER war? I sure don't.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    If the borders of Georgia are well established why did they have to go in with troops burning their OWN PEOPLE'S HOMES? Why did Georgia attack their own providence? This just doesn't add up to me.

I also never said this was a border dispute. Georgia attacked an independent providence from what I can tell. The first reports came in that Georgia attacked while Putin was in Bejing for the olympics. Why would the attacker suddenly be the victim here?

Can anyone tell me why this is our business by the way? We are spread too thin as it is to even help Georgia if we wanted to. Do we really want ANOTHER war? I sure don't.

There is a difference between an independent providence and a providence that is filled with separatists. Georgia was reclaiming land that is part of their country from separatists.

It is our business because of the treaty that we have with them.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital

WHERE are you getting your information from?
    Georgia did the same thing that we (or any country) would do if we had separatists acting accordingly inside this country.

Georgia is our ally, they had troops in Iraq to support us, now you think we should do nothing in return, just stand back and wait for the UN?
    :dunno:

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL

Perhaps because ALL the people of Georgia fought for freedom from Russia. Since the people from all regions of the country fought and died for ALL of Georgia, they believe they should be able to retain what they sacrificed for. (and AGAINST the "traitors"? who were trying to destroy what the population as a whole built up?)

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    It was not OK when the former USSR was attacking and killing civilians after the breakup. They were sepratists at the time. Now it is OK for Georgia to attack these people for being sepratists? Or perhaps it is just not ok because it is Russia and not a US ally.

I just don't understand the need to "police the world"

Yes I think we should stand back and wait for whoever. This isn't our fight. Ally or not. If our ally was wrong would we still support them? I hope not.

BTW, if we ever attacked separatists with troops, tanks, and aircraft this nation has gone to the can. The complete outlaw of firearms? I'd be a separatist. Heck, if Canada can control the people of Toronto (by voting) the Georgians can find another way. These civilians did nothing wrong. There hasn't been reports of Georgian separatists bomb this, or attack that.

Furthermore why are they burning innocent people's homes?! Why attack your own people?! There is no South Ossetia army to fight so they are killing civilians?

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Perhaps because ALL the people of Georgia fought for freedom from Russia. Since the people from all regions of the country fought and died for ALL of Georgia, they believe they should be able to retain what they sacrificed for. (and AGAINST the "traitors"? who were trying to destroy what the population as a whole built up?)

Then why send so much against so few? If ALL of Georgia fought Russia why does Georgia have people fighting them? The Georgian goverment might be what those patriots fought against.

By the way, I don't claim to know everything. I am just someone trying to figure this whole mess out. Thanks for the conversation.:thumbsup:

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Georgia has signed a cease fire but Russia is still advancing and killing the people of Georgia. It also appears that Russia is trying to divide the country.

Russia, it seems, wants to retake the country by force - before Georgia can be brought into the union.

Russia is getting too big for it's britches and needs to be slapped down. Our people have (and are) been evacuated.
    My prayers are with the people of Georgia.

Russia absolutely wants to keep Georgia from joining NATO.

Russia also knows no one's going to do anything to stop them.

Top Bottom