• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I realize they will never prove that Russia actually sanctioned this, but if they did wouldn't that be a violation of some treaty? I thought the big boys were in agreement not to use nerve agents.

On a side note... someone is in trouble for the messed up dosage either way.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, its hard to tell what would happen if it is traced back to Russia. One article I read pointed out that they've pretty much maxed out the sanctions against Russia, mostly for the Crimean thing. So, its hard to tell how much further they could even go.

And, I wonder if this wasn't an aerosol deployment (unlike Kim Jomg-Nam, which used a contact application) of VX. By making it airborne, you allow some distance to get away, but it is also harder to get the concentration right.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Putin's sending a message (again).

Russian spy: State TV anchor warns 'traitors' - BBC News

The comment by Kirill Kleimenov - the presenter on government-controlled Channel One's flagship Vremya news programme - sounded like a veiled, mocking threat to anyone considering becoming a double agent for Britain.
    "I don't wish death on anyone, but for purely educational purposes, I have a warning for anyone who dreams of such a career," he said.
    "The profession of a traitor is one of the most dangerous in the world," Kleimenov said, adding that few who had chosen it had lived to a ripe old age.
    Alcoholism, drug addiction, stress and depression resulting in heart attacks and even suicide were the "professional illnesses of a traitor", according to Kleimenov.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I realize they will never prove that Russia actually sanctioned this, but if they did wouldn't that be a violation of some treaty? I thought the big boys were in agreement not to use nerve agents.On a side note... someone is in trouble for the messed up dosage either way.
    Russia violates it's treaties and obligations routinely, I guarantee you that Russia wants it to be quite clear exactly who did this.

Like T.Lex referenced, sanctions have proven to be pretty much completely ineffective, are pretty much maxed out, and no one is going to war over this. I forsee something along the lines of a Cold War-lite for the foreseeable future.

Russia has no interest in playing well with others and is very motivated to regain superpower status. I would also foresee proxy wars along the lines of Syria and Ukraine wherever convenient within rushes fear of influence. They know that we and NATO will not go to open war over these things.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Unless you were talking about Mr. Limbaugh in that next to last line, auto correct strikes again! :) (we know what you meant)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    They've identified the police officer, who is now in stable and improving condition. Apparently he's conscious and talking with people, but still in pretty bad shape.

What's interesting is that they've spoken to a couple medical professionals (a doctor and a nurse) who were quick on the scene, too. Those people, who apparently helped the daughter, weren't hospitalized at all. Checked out, but not hospitalized.

Skripal and the daughter are still in critical condition, though. I'm not sure how long that can last. I mean, at some point, they're either going to get better... or worse.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I had to smile at this...

Sergei Skripal's Poisoning Means Russia's Rules Have Changed | Time

For one thing, the swap was an awful deal for the U.S. government, which was then in the second year of the Obama Administration. Even apart from its basic arithmetic – three prisoners in exchange for 10 – these two groups were by no means equal in value.

Would've been hard for me to imagine Time being that critical of the deal back then....

Also, it is insightful to me that the swap had actually been agreed to by Medvedev. Putin, while likely informed, might have not fought over it to give his hand-picked president a little room to maneuver.

That means that Putin himself probably did not feel any moral obligation to honor the spirit of the trade.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Or Putin felt he would have a more plausible deniability when they ... fell ill ... in foreign lands. He wanted everybody - and most especially his critics - to be certain he ordered it while not being able to prove it

ETA: I'm not sure "moral obligation" can even be translated into Putinese. Dealing with him would seem to be good practice for dealing with the Devil, only for the desperate. I expect that were he offered a better deal, he would personally offer up the platter with Assad's head on it. That has to make for some sleepless nights in Damascus

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I had to smile at this...

Sergei Skripal's Poisoning Means Russia's Rules Have Changed | Time

Would've been hard for me to imagine Time being that critical of the deal back then....

Also, it is insightful to me that the swap had actually been agreed to by Medvedev. Putin, while likely informed, might have not fought over it to give his hand-picked president a little room to maneuver.

That means that Putin himself probably did not feel any moral obligation to honor the spirit of the trade.

A bit of a clarification. Putin probably no longer felt any obligation to honor the spirit of the trade now. He apparently did for the subsequent 6+ years after the trade. Something apparently changed, and we both know what.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    A bit of a clarification. Putin probably no longer felt any obligation to honor the spirit of the trade now. He apparently did for the subsequent 6+ years after the trade. Something apparently changed, and we both know what.

Hold up. :D I can think of a bunch of things that changed. I have no idea if we agree on what might be the most important. ;) :D

Mostly, I think Putin figured he could get away with it.

Although, there is a wrinkle that I won't link to, but could be interesting. Apparently Skripal had at least one link to the group that was responsible for the Trump dossier.

Now, intelligence people make their living by being connected. This guy probably had connections with all sorts of groups. But that would be just enough to cloud the issue of who might have a motive to shut this guy down.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

His sock puppet at the white house and his whore at state were replaced by people with stones?

ETA:The UK is now run by a woman?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    His sock puppet at the white house and his whore at state were replaced by people with stones?

ETA:The UK is now run by a woman?
    Google Boris Johnson.

He kinda makes HRC's time at State look genius.

Top Bottom