• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LuckyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    AK

I can understand the desire to move to a more accurate firearm. I don't think it was the smartest thing for this Minister to say that they would use a firearm manufactured outside Russia. I would probably say that is the biggest issue.

The Russians have been making the AK as accurate as they can for the last 25 years. I just don't see them being able to pull much more out of it. From a PR standpoint Russia probably does want to distance themselves from the AK's reputation as a dictators/terrorist rifle.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Funny, the Russians are calling for replacement of the Automatic Kalashnikov and AKM while we here in the states are ramping up production of their semi-auto equivalent! Amazing!

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Interesting read... thanks for the link.

It always makes me wonder how long until we use gamma ray rifles or something like that. When will bullets become obsolete?

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Hopefully they buy the French made rifles. While they are at it I hope the Chinese decide to buy the French made rifles as their track record for being wild eyed killers is well documented.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    They couldn't afford to adopt the AN-94 because it costs too much.

So the Defense Minister thinks they're going to buy foreign made rifles for less than they could produce the AN-94?

Hardly.

Let's not mention the massive cost associated with going to a completely different system. All the logistics must change, all training must change, it would take billions of Rubles... and years. Heck, they can't even maintain their aircraft or Navy.

Let's not mention the article mentions their consideration of the Galil... right. Not even the Israelis use that rifle within their military. The only people using Galil's in Israel are REMFs and reserve units. Almost everyone else begs, kills or steals to get an M16. If the Russians want another AK variant, why would they pay Israel who didn't license the design in the first place? It makes absolutely no sense what so ever.

I think he's off his rocker, and I doubt the military would stand for him taking away their very popular and iconic "peoples" rifle. There would be a revolt.

I predict the Russians will ditch the AK about the same time we completely ditch the M16... when small arms technology takes a huge step forward. Rifles like the ACR, SCAR, XM8, XCR, etc. don't do take a big enough step technologically, hence SOCOMs recent decision to abandon the Mk16.

Everyone is waiting for phasers. :)

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Hopefully they buy the French made rifles. While they are at it I hope the Chinese decide to buy the French made rifles as their track record for being wild eyed killers is well documented.

There's a joke there, but I'm not touchin' it.

Top Bottom