• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Thanks to INGO and my unnatural weakness for rimfire fun, I recently ended up with this interesting little .22 LR military trainer rifle

IMG_20240309_005215_528.jpg

I didn't know much about this rifle beforehand so it was a bit of a gamble for me. All the fellow INGOer told me was it worked, the safety was stiff, and its difficult to scope. I gladly handed him the money and off I went.

IMG_20240309_005214_934.jpg

The niche the TOZ 17 fills for me is a fun milsurp bolt gun. I like my milsurp rifles but rarely shoot them due to ammo cost.

The TOZ 17 scratches several itches
    - Mosin sights for that milsurp feel
    - fast cock on close bolt, like an Enfield
    - laquer and bakelite for milsurp look
    - 22 LR cost superiority
    - magazine design keeps the fun going

IMG_20240309_005215_249.jpg

Here you can see its mosin style graduated sights. I assume these are in meters..... Although it seems off. 75 setting hits dead on at 50 yards.

IMG_20240309_005214_779.jpg

The front sight base is dovetailed so I think it can be drift adjusted. Wasnt necessary for mine.

IMG_20240309_005215_247.jpg

Classic Mosin look

IMG_20240309_005215_318.jpg

As I tore it apart to clean / inspect I noticed several good and bad things.

- action and stock are attached with 2 bolts.. One threaded machine bolt up front.... And a coarse thread wood screw in the tang, not a good choice IMHO

- barrel is pinned into the reciever, might be handy depending if you like to tinker

- feed ramp, and ejector are a seperate piece that can be removed for cleaning / polishing.

- trigger is very simple, and light, but had wore a deep grove in the bottom of receiver. Perhaps the reciever is soft?

Now the only real bad part, the safety.
    Its a total POS. Really, it's that bad. Basically doesn't work. It appears to be an afterthought to make import regulations. So in traditional Russian fashion , I removed it. The safety now is leaving an empty chamber just like many milsurps.

The seller was totally right about the safety, he was also right about scoping it. Notice the bolt handle clearance, and the rear sight clearance. This 4X leupold has less than 1/8" forward/ back movment. But I did it! Its scoped!
    IMG_20240309_005215_335.jpg

Don't buy one of these expecting to put optics on it. The TOZ 17s charm is really with its iron sights. I mounted only to see how accurate I could make it.

IMG_20240309_005214_903.jpg
    Uncommonly perfect February day. Range all to myself. The sun shining off laquer finish. Don't get much better than this folks.

I chose some Aguila 40 grain HV plated and some Aguila 40 grain SV Lead. This ammo is plentiful and cheap in my neck of the woods. Its also what I've been stockpiling due to my 10/22 preference.

I was NOT EXPECTING the humble Russian 22 trainer to perform this well! Shots at 50 yds, right side group hard to see, because all the holes are touching and in the black!
    IMG_20240309_005215_437.jpg

Following this exceptional grouping, I removed the optic to fully enjoy the experience of the rifle. Took it to 40 yards on steel... With iron sights...Running the bolt fast and with my middle finger on the trigger. THIS is when the little Baikal shined. Maximum fun, minimal cost.

Well worth the money folks, I'm sure enjoying mine and think its earned a permanent spot in the collection.

What say you INGO?
    :ingo:

Last edited:

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    That thing is cool! Those sights take me back.

I grew up in a former com-bloc county in central Europe, after the wall came down in the early 90's. We lived in a little town...kind of a suburb outside the capital city. Every summer for a couple of weeks these carnies would show up and set up a little carnival with bumper cars, sketchy rides, and a shooting gallery in a field near our house. The shooting gallery was just a trailer with some air rifles, but they were real break-barrel air rifles not water guns or other kid-friendly stuff like we tend to get at our county fairs around here. I was too young to pay attention to the brand, but they were pretty stout and had some serious military-type notch and post adjustable target sights on them just like your rifle. With the way everything worked over there during the communist days, they very likely had one basic design and used it for everything.

It was probably overkill for what we were doing...trying to break 2mm in diameter wooden shishkabob sticks with pieces of candy rubber-banded to the top of them at about 3 yards...but between those air rifles and the bumper cars, those carnies took a lot of our money!

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    That thing is cool! Those sights take me back.

I grew up in a former com-bloc county in central Europe, after the wall came down in the early 90's. We lived in a little town...kind of a suburb outside the capital city. Every summer for a couple of weeks these carnies would show up and set up a little carnival with bumper cars, sketchy rides, and a shooting gallery in a field near our house. The shooting gallery was just a trailer with some air rifles, but they were real break-barrel air rifles not water guns or other kid-friendly stuff like we tend to get at our county fairs around here. I was too young to pay attention to the brand, but they were pretty stout and had some serious military-type notch and post adjustable target sights on them just like your rifle. With the way everything worked over there during the communist days, they very likely had one basic design and used it for everything.

It was probably overkill for what we were doing...trying to break 2mm in diameter wooden shishkabob sticks with pieces of candy rubber-banded to the top of them at about 3 yards...but between those air rifles and the bumper cars, those carnies took a lot of our money!
    That’s a great story, paints quite the picture!

Top Bottom