Rust Problem with New Remington Firearms?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Falkin88

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    So I bought a new Remington 870 Express as a Christmas gift to my fiancé it has been stored in my gun safe alongside of two other Remington 870 expresses and also a Remington 870 Wingmaster. The new 870 hasn't been fired or handled in adverse conditions, pretty much taken out of the box and put into the safe, and the gun safe has several fresh desiccant packets in it. I went to get the 870 out today and package it up and put under the Christmas tree, (been hiding it in plain sight essentially till we got the tree). Well there is a ton of rust on the barrel and action. The rust cleaned up easily and seemed to be just superficial but was wondering if anyone else has had problems with it lately. The finish on the new 870 seems to be different than what is on my two older expresses, one of which is an early 1980's and the second an early 1990's. Anyone have a similar experience?

movevio

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    yeah it is some cheap ass **** my 11-87 had it in 4 days. the only reason i bought it was i broke my old 11-87 that i have hunted with since 1995 and never had the slightest problem. the new one sat in the house for 4 days and it was already worse than my other one ever was:xmad:

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    So I bought a new Remington 870 Express as a Christmas gift to my fiancé it has been stored in my gun safe alongside of two other Remington 870 expresses and also a Remington 870 Wingmaster. The new 870 hasn't been fired or handled in adverse conditions, pretty much taken out of the box and put into the safe, and the gun safe has several fresh desiccant packets in it. I went to get the 870 out today and package it up and put under the Christmas tree, (been hiding it in plain sight essentially till we got the tree). Well there is a ton of rust on the barrel and action. The rust cleaned up easily and seemed to be just superficial but was wondering if anyone else has had problems with it lately. The finish on the new 870 seems to be different than what is on my two older expresses, one of which is an early 1980's and the second an early 1990's. Anyone have a similar experience?
    You might want to contact Remington. I understand they have had complaints from Distributors and Dealers about their "New" finish on their shotguns rusting. :dunno:

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I’ve had my Remington 870 for about a year and have only had it outside a couple times. Last time I got it out, I noticed it had rust on just the front bead sight base. It was also very superficial and wiped right off.

I keep a good coat of oil on the barrel and other parts, as I’ve heard stories of other 870s rusting.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    It's not just their shotguns. I bought a few Model 700 SPS Varmints and they all had brown on the rags when I gave them a wipe down straight out of the box.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Had same issue

Have an 1100 20ga that did the same thing. Duracoated the metal HK semigloss black. Looks great and has never developed any rust again.

Money17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have noticed that my 11-87 will get a slight layer of rust on it if I don't keep it oiled often enough. The rust is just enough to annoy me but usually wipes off pretty easy.

thoffman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Muncie
    hmm interesting. i was going to go buy a new 870 on the 23rd. i think i might reconsider and get a mossberg

Last edited:

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Remington is using a Black Oxide finish on most of their "entry level" firearms, while black oxide is an okay finish it isn't as forgiving in the rust dept. In fact it is considered to be marginally corrosion resistant... I am a fan of parkerizing over black oxide.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    It's not just their shotguns. I bought a few Model 700 SPS Varmints and they all had brown on the rags when I gave them a wipe down straight out of the box.

I have an issued 870 that stays in the trunk of my car most of the time. It's in there with (usually) three other long guns and is the only one that rusts. I have to completely oil it almost weekly to keep it from competely rusting. Nothing else that I keep in my trunk that is metal has that problem.

My Remington 700 SPS is the same way. I have to take it out and wipe it down regularly because the entire receievr and barrel will start to lightly rust after only a few days. None of the other firearms or knives that are sitting next to it have that problem.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I got a Mossberg Maverick that doesn't have a rusting problem. Remington must really be going downhill. Well Remington has been going all downhill since they introduced the 597 that could not feed a full mag without jamming.

Top Bottom