• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I have a sword that was a part of my wedding ceremony, and upon arriving back from our honeymoon, I notice that it has very light surface rust starting on it, where people were touching it at the wedding, and where it wasn't properly wiped down afterwards. That's what I get for entrusting something to someone else....

I can tell it's from people touching it because the rust is in the shape of fingerprints....while I'm tempted to to dust it and see if I can identify the culprits, I think I'll settle for fixing the rust.

It's high-carbon steel, and the rust is VERY mild at this point. I tried to scrub it off with some regular oil and a cloth, but it didn't come. Anybody else have any pointers for what works without tearing up the blade? I'd like to keep it pretty if I can, since it was a part of the wedding ceremony and all.

And for those who want to see how exactly it was a part of the wedding ceremony....here ya go. Warning: long and emotional.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGGtXSBPSLA

Lagrange

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Lagrange, IN.
    Get yourself some Flitz (or other) metal polish. If it's merely minor surface rust it will buff out by hand with some good old elbow grease.
    After you have removed the rust, coat the entire blade with some car wax. Apply the wax the same way you would wax your car. Apply and then buff off by hand. It will help keep the blade rust free for the furture. Do not store the blade in an area that is subject to drastic rise and fall of temperature, and do not store in any leather container.
    You should be good to go.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    flitz, mother maggs, any of that will work. or as suggested above super fine steel wool and oil.

after that I use Renaissance Wax. then follow what lagrange said and your good to go!

Cheapdiesel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    I like to use Neverdull. It will not scratch and removes rust and all kinds of corrosion. Then was it like the other guys said.

Mike.B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Grant County
    Flitz and 0000 steel wool works great. I didn't wipe down my FNS after carrying it, slight surface rust around the black lettering. It honestly looks better than when I bought it new. :yesway:

Stan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2012
    I don't think I would use neverdull I had a can and was using it on the chrome on my motorcycle and it scratched the:poop: out of it.:noway:

bullet293

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    OMOKOK
    buff with flitz or semi chrome wipe clean with soft cloth. buy a real skin chamois and use it on your carbon knives and tools to keep them rust free. the natural oil in the skin works great!!

Stan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2012
    this is what I use with great success. :yesway:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    At any auto parts store in the paint/primer area is a product that removes rust. The name escapes me at the moment but it is a small bottle of acid gel. It will attack the rust and eliminate it without marking the steel. Don't let it sit too long though, eventually it starts to dull a polished surface if left to work on it after the rust boils away.

bullet293

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    OMOKOK
    At any auto parts store in the paint/primer area is a product that removes rust. The name escapes me at the moment but it is a small bottle of acid gel. It will attack the rust and eliminate it without marking the steel. Don't let it sit too long though, eventually it starts to dull a polished surface if left to work on it after the rust boils away.
    naval jelly?:dunno:

Top Bottom