• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    warsaw
    My magazine release on my cc keeps rusting. I carry in a kidex holster. I keep having to scratch it off, re-blue it. i wipe it down with remington oil every night, but it keeps coming back usually within a month. Is this just maintainance ill always have to do? Or is there a better way to keep the rust off for longer or for good?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    My magazine release on my cc keeps rusting. I carry in a kidex holster. I keep having to scratch it off, re-blue it. i wipe it down with remington oil every night, but it keeps coming back usually within a month. Is this just maintainance ill always have to do? Or is there a better way to keep the rust off for longer or for good?

What kind of gun? Maybe replace it with a stainless piece.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    what do you mean by "scratch it off?" Fingernail? sandpaper? file? Try some sandcloth. work up to 600 grit or higher, then reblue once it's nice and polished. if good and smooth and previous pitting all removed, it'll be less likely to start rusting again, or at least take longer. you could also try a different finish, like some cerakote or something....
    -rvb

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Try some Breakfree CLP on it instead of Remoil. See if that doesn't do a better job of rust prevention. Let the CLP stay on it overnight before wiping it off.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Blueing and Parkerizing are basically mediums for holding oil. The oil prevents rust. Not the blueing. Use a drop of oil and polish it off with a rag. Don't degrease the gun. Do this in the areas that are giving you rust problems. I prefer to leave a slight film on my guns. Just a drop or to and polish it off with a rag.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    warsaw
    what do you mean by "scratch it off?" Fingernail? sandpaper? file? Try some sandcloth. work up to 600 grit or higher, then reblue once it's nice and polished. if good and smooth and previous pitting all removed, it'll be less likely to start rusting again, or at least take longer. you could also try a different finish, like some cerakote or something....
    -rvb
    Steel wool. The release button has tiny ridges so its textured and easier to push, but hard to get rust off.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    If you are using a cold blue, I suspect that is your problem. Cold blue causes rust unless it is liberally oiled after applying it and for several days afterward. I use lots of cold blue on large and small parts. But I am rubbing oil into it for days afterward to prevent rust.

I suggest steel wool and paint the next time. Fingernail polish is always an option. In the color of your choice. I think a bright colored mag release would be kinda cool...

Some people consider me weird though.....

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale

Don't use rem oil. For some reason the Teflon based oils don't neutralize the acids well enough. Wd-40 works wwell though. I just got done rust bluing a bunch of parts and soaked them in wd-40 all night then hung to drip dry and wiped the excess off. You have to remember bluing is rust and it will hold oil. Like parkerizing it needs oil to be at its best.

Also are you running cold water on the bluing after each application? If not it likes to flash rust. Put a coat on rinse with cold water. Heat with a hair dryer reapply follow same steps. When you have to finiso you want soak in oil.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    warsaw
    Lots of great ideas, thanks everybody. Im going to try several of these things. Also heard someplace that using some mole skin between your skin and the kydex helps, does anybody have experience with that?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    a bit of moleskin could work, sure... But it may also keep/hold sweat just as if the mag release were against your skin directly.

Do you wear a layer between your holster and your body? I generally always do personally, but it's a comfort thing rather than a moisture/rust thing.

One other option: Just let it rust, but don't let it get too bad to hinder function. Carry pistols are gonna end up "not pretty".

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    warsaw
    I would if i could, but i use a flashbang. Some moleskin would be more comfortable for me then another layer. I wouldnt be so worried about the rust, it was a relativly inexpensive gun, but my husband also has a tcp and without rust he has had some issues with the functionality of his mag release, and i dont know how quick rust damage may effect mine. Could be overly concerned, but if i can take care of the problem easily why not?

Top Bottom