• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Are jeeps prone to rust. Saw this good deal in the classifieds and have been looking at Cherokees on craigslist. Alot of them have rust. Why?

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ree_jeep_if_you_buy_the_tires_south_bend.html

IMG_8624.jpg

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I know many people who use 4runners, pathfinders, Xterras for fun and I never see as much rust on em. I'm not hatin.... I'm just curious

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    More people use Jeeps for offroad use. And they really put the Jeeps to use. More use = more rust.

The 4-runners look better b/c they aren't used like a Jeep is.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I had a '92 Cherokee and a '98 Grand Cherokee, put well over 100K on each incl. some off road and never had any rust. My GF's '99 Cherokee has close to 200K and has no significant body rust. So I do not think it is endemic to the model, just use.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    Light weight acid dipped frame. :yesway:

Yep.

The frame on my 92 Cherokee rusted in two, the rocker panels were gone, the wheel wells were nothing but holes, the passenger side floor rusted through and one of the rear doors rusted bad enough you couldn't open it. I loved that jeep and really miss it.

When I replaced the floor I was amazed at how cheap and thin the frame was. No wonder you could feel the body flexing when driving on uneven terrain.

Now I got the blues. :(

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    I have owned 4 Jeeps including my 04 unlimited and none have ever had a rust spot on them. Wash them and wax them and will go without rust as well as any other vehicle. And yes, mine has been off road a number of times.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    Well...because its a Chrysler Jeep Wrangler, or a Chrysler Jeep Cherokee. My friends Cherokee had the same gauages, CD player, buttons, doo dads, etc as my moms Town and Country van!:dunno: I got scared away from Cherokees from all the problems my buddies had with them (used, not abused) I wanted an SUV, and ended up with a Mitsubishi Montero, 1995, that me and my dad just love. Its a 4x4 toy, a woodhauler, trailer puller, grocery getter, toolbox, you name it, and there is not a spec of rust on it, other than the brushguard metal of all things. That being said, if a Cherokee is cheap enough, im sure it would be a lot of fun. I just dont see the quality there of a 4runner/passport/montero/pathfinder. Not even close

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Jeeps rust and leak. That's just what they do.

I'd be careful with an XJ with lots of undercarriage rust. They don't have a frame, so rust can really be a problem structurally.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've got a '95 Grand Cherokee Limited that's rust free except for the rear hatch.
    I've got a '97 I totally abuse, take off road, only wash the glass to see out off, beat to a pulp. Not a straight panel on it including roof and floor and it doesn't have a speck of rust anywhere.
    My son has the Pioneer truck. '82 I'm sure that is also rust free.
    I bought a 96 Grand Cherokee Limited for parts that was rusted so bad it wasn't driveable.
    I think the type of use, salt, etc determines the rust.
    All of our Jeeps have over 200,000 miles btw and run great.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Not a Jeep hater, but.....

Where else can a whole industry be created to replace cancer ridden Jeep bodies with fiberglass ones, also it was a rite of passage for a Jeep to get a rusted out windshield frame.

It's not just a "Chrysler Jeep" thing, it has been a part of Jeep's history, When AMC resurrected it in 1970 this is when body rust became a included after market option that you had no choice to refuse.

Last edited:

sbsg2005

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    my 95 wrangler has 0 rust on the body and little surface rust on the frame. It spends many of its weekends running trials at Red Bird, Attica, and several private properties. The top comes off in April and goes back on in December. The rest of the year I only run a bikini top. But I am vigilant when it comes to washing it and touch ups on the body and frame.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Look at the location, it's in South Bend. If it has been driven in Northern Indiana and Michigan, it had to handle a lot of road salt. It's a '97, so it has had 14 years to build all that up. Just about any vehicle up here that is over 10-15 years old will have rust, whether it is a Jeep or not.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    It's not just Jeeps that are rusting.
    I had 2 Toyota 4x4 trucks that died due to rust. One Nissan that should be shot and put out of it's misery 'cause the rust has eaten out the bed, fenders, radiator support, and under the cab floor. It's held together by plywood, coat hangers, and where possible welded rods and plates. It's a trash truck only now but runs new.
    Jeeps will spoil ya. There's something about them that just fits my arse. I like driving them, not afraid to go anywhere in them, and no worries.
    They're kinda like my 1911s. They have a home with me.
    OH, Check your manuals for the type of fluids they use.
    Mine take +4 tranny fluid in tranny and transfer case. Type 3 in the trannys will give issues. I took mine in for a fluid change and the shop didn't check the type of fluids it took and I had to make them do it all over. They weren't happy but finally admitted they should have checked.

Top Bottom