Ryobi tool owner? handy emergency lanterns.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Putting this here because they make for a compact, handy emergency lantern.

If anyone uses Ryobi 18v tools, these lights are back out for Christmas. They made a limited run of them during the summer and they disappeared. They are available again.

They are great to have as an emergency lantern. They claim up to 7 day continuous runtime. (lowest dimmer setting with their stupid-big 9ah battery)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-18V-Cordless-Compact-Area-Light-Tool-Only-P796B/317327006

Ive got two, but may pick up more.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    I just ordered 2 of the next model up. For $5.00 more, it has a USB charging port. 330 lumens instead of a max 400, but a loss of 70 lumens in exchange for a charging port seems like a pretty good trade off. And it had much better reviews than the basic light only one. They should be here in a day or so. I will report back after I have put them thru their paces.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I just ordered 2 of the next model up. For $5.00 more, it has a USB charging port. 330 lumens instead of a max 400, but a loss of 70 lumens in exchange for a charging port seems like a pretty good trade off. And it had much better reviews than the basic light only one. They should be here in a day or so. I will report back after I have put them thru their paces.
    Link? Sounds like I might want to try those.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Here is the link to the ones I ordered:

ryobi-jobsite-lighting-p781-40_100.jpg

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    For those wondering about Ryobi quality, I have beat the absolute crap out of my Ryobi set I bought 3 years ago. They’re worth more than their price for sure. I’ve added to the collection every year. I’ve used them heavily on the farm and they perform better than the dewalt 20V set I have as well. To the point the only thing dewalt I use is the sawzall. Ryobi sawzall is weak and will burn out quick, they did replace it both times under warranty. But I’ve not used it since the 2nd replacement. Everything else is tough as nails though. And the batteries last FOREVER!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've never tried any Ryobi tools, but glad to hear they work well. Something I'm experimenting with for4 emergency light is just a simple landscaping light that has an on/off switch. I wanted a little night light in the chicken coop so the birds continue to produce, and it's far enough from the house I didn't want to run electrical out there.

The landscaping lights have a good balance of putting out some light while being able to top themselves off every day. Just some more food for thought.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I think there’s a bit of confusion.

At least in stores, the light I posted is a two pack. The website either isn’t very clear or it’s a different sku. It looked like it was a single, but it may be 2. At least I hope its a pair, because $30/ea is a ripoff since you can buy a pair for $5 more. I am at Home Depot right now and they are $35 a pair.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    For those wondering about Ryobi quality, I have beat the absolute crap out of my Ryobi set I bought 3 years ago. They’re worth more than their price for sure. I’ve added to the collection every year. I’ve used them heavily on the farm and they perform better than the dewalt 20V set I have as well. To the point the only thing dewalt I use is the sawzall. Ryobi sawzall is weak and will burn out quick, they did replace it both times under warranty. But I’ve not used it since the 2nd replacement. Everything else is tough as nails though. And the batteries last FOREVER!
    I think they have made some major improvements. The 1st gen tools are not as good as these on the market now. Case(s) in point:

Ive got a drill/driver. Have had it for years. Not impressed and nowhere near the torque of my Dewalt 18v classics at work. I could literally hold the chuck firmly and prevent the drill from spinning. And it would bog down easily with big spades.

Then my Dewalt for work died and I had to buy a new one. I ended up buying the brushless drill and impact driver because I couldnt pass up the deal (buy one get the other for $20) I started to lock down the chuck like I've done countless times with my old Ryobi. Damn thing spun out of my hand and gave me an indian burn! Sonofa!!!!! That HURT! *channeling Clark Griswold* "FIXED THE TORQUE ISSUE!"

A while back I tried their sawsall. It was interesting because not only did it have a toolless chuck, it had a selector for a unique cutting mode. When enabled it would drive the blade toward the material during the cut stroke, and then rotate up and away from the material for the return stroke. Sucked. butt. Returned it after using it once because if the blade was touching the wood before I pulled the trigger, it would just bind up and groan.

Fast forward a couple years and I had a gift certificate to HD and needed a sawsall. So I used it on a Ryobi since I had the batteries and could tell this was a newer model. (for one the selector for the orbital cutter was gone) This one is hands down far better than the first one. The first one I could easily bog it down by trying to start it with it in contact with the wood. This one cuts like nobody's business.

I'm really digging how they are improving the product line. I might have to try their blower again, because the first 18v leaf blower I tried went back the same day: if it wasnt dry material on pavement, forget it. It didnt have the power to move anything. Leaves in the grass? Forget it.

And I bought 40v chain saws, hedge trimmers, and string trimmers for my church. Those things are the bees knees.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Well, for what it is worth, here is my report.

Bothe lights arrived within 30 hours of ordering them . Very impressed with that. The plastic packaging was a bear to get off, but finally did. Slapped a fully charged battery in the base of the light and........nothing. Ok. I may not the the brightest bulb in the pack, but I know there is only 1 way to insert the 18v battery. Tried another FULLY CHARGED battery (charged both batteries 24 hrs prior to test and confirmed the charge with a drill). Still nothing.

OK. On/Off switch? COULD NOT FIND ONE!! Maybe it is activated with battery insertion? Maybe this one is just a "bad light"? Went thru the same procedures on the 2nd light with the same results! 2 "bad lights" at the same time? Pretty slim odds. But if that is the case, I will not gamble on these lights again.

I will be headed to Home Depot later today to return these lights. I will take a battery with me and see if the will allow me to test replacement lights. If not, then they go back.

I will say that I have been more than pleased with all my Ryobi tools and the battery life is amazing. Maybe I just got a pair of lemons. We will see. More later.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Well, for what it is worth, here is my report.

Bothe lights arrived within 30 hours of ordering them . Very impressed with that. The plastic packaging was a bear to get off, but finally did. Slapped a fully charged battery in the base of the light and........nothing. Ok. I may not the the brightest bulb in the pack, but I know there is only 1 way to insert the 18v battery. Tried another FULLY CHARGED battery (charged both batteries 24 hrs prior to test and confirmed the charge with a drill). Still nothing.

OK. On/Off switch? COULD NOT FIND ONE!! Maybe it is activated with battery insertion? Maybe this one is just a "bad light"? Went thru the same procedures on the 2nd light with the same results! 2 "bad lights" at the same time? Pretty slim odds. But if that is the case, I will not gamble on these lights again.

I will be headed to Home Depot later today to return these lights. I will take a battery with me and see if the will allow me to test replacement lights. If not, then they go back.

I will say that I have been more than pleased with all my Ryobi tools and the battery life is amazing. Maybe I just got a pair of lemons. We will see. More later.
    Look on the end. Power switch should be on the end. Its grey. Between the strap loop and lens.

Scratch that. You bought the bigger one with the charger. Its power switch is on the front between "USB charging" and "330 lumens. " its a sunburst icon.

Last edited:

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Who says an old dog can't learn new tricks?

Thank you Cameramonkey for teaching this old dog! Both lights work great and also learned that they have a high and low setting. Very pleased with them now. You just saved me an embarrassing trip to Home Depot.

Drewski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    Deep South Side
    Just another satisfied customer in the Ryobi camp. I don’t remember how i started switching over from Dewalt years ago, but I think I’m almost entirely Ryobi 18v at this point and no complaints. I’m continuously surprised at how long the batteries last, and that cordless circular saw has been a particularly rewarding bit of joy over the last year or so. I still have a gen 1 driver/drill that I “inherited” from a scammy subcontractor who bailed mid job and never returned (after multiple attempts to reach him). It works, but as someone noted, not all that well. The green gen driver/hammer drill I have can still do some wrist damage if the user isn’t careful though. And using my 1/2” impact driver to rotate tires makes look like I’m pit crew material.

Anyway, thanks for the lantern heads-up. I may need to check those out.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    No worries. I bought one of the bigger ones for the charger. I realized I had no USB chargers in that pool of batteries.

And I ran them both side by side. that 70 lumen loss is not bad. Unless I was trying to use them as a work light, 330 is plenty bright enough as an emergency light, camping lantern, etc.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just another satisfied customer in the Ryobi camp. I don’t remember how i started switching over from Dewalt years ago, but I think I’m almost entirely Ryobi 18v at this point and no complaints. I’m continuously surprised at how long the batteries last, and that cordless circular saw has been a particularly rewarding bit of joy over the last year or so. I still have a gen 1 driver/drill that I “inherited” from a scammy subcontractor who bailed mid job and never returned (after multiple attempts to reach him). It works, but as someone noted, not all that well. The green gen driver/hammer drill I have can still do some wrist damage if the user isn’t careful though. And using my 1/2” impact driver to rotate tires makes look like I’m pit crew material.

Anyway, thanks for the lantern heads-up. I may need to check those out.
    Do you have the 7 1/2"(?) brushless saw? I discovered my 90s era craftsman plate edge is not parallel to the blade and ruined a countertop last week when I tried to use a straight edge guide. So I need a new saw. Trying to figure out if that biggest unit is worth it or if I should stick with corded.

The biggest job I would do would be an afternoon project.

Drewski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    Deep South Side
    Yep, this one right here:
    A full battery has easily gotten me through any of my home projects. It has been powerful enough to cut everything I've thrown at it from 3/4" MDF to pressure treated lumber to heavy plywood crosscuts and everything inbetween, including all the countertops I made this summer. I'm not a carpenter, so I can't say how long the saw or batteries would last for repeated all-day use, but for weekend+ warriors like me, it does a hell of a job. I use the Kreg rip-cut guide for most plywood rips and crosscuts, but I leave the saw sled on all the time. I'm happy with the cut accuracy. I can't tell you the last time I used my table saw, or radial arm saw for that matter. It's just too convenient!

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    I think they have made some major improvements. The 1st gen tools are not as good as these on the market now. Case(s) in point:

Ive got a drill/driver. Have had it for years. Not impressed and nowhere near the torque of my Dewalt 18v classics at work. I could literally hold the chuck firmly and prevent the drill from spinning. And it would bog down easily with big spades.

Then my Dewalt for work died and I had to buy a new one. I ended up buying the brushless drill and impact driver because I couldnt pass up the deal (buy one get the other for $20) I started to lock down the chuck like I've done countless times with my old Ryobi. Damn thing spun out of my hand and gave me an indian burn! Sonofa!!!!! That HURT! *channeling Clark Griswold* "FIXED THE TORQUE ISSUE!"

A while back I tried their sawsall. It was interesting because not only did it have a toolless chuck, it had a selector for a unique cutting mode. When enabled it would drive the blade toward the material during the cut stroke, and then rotate up and away from the material for the return stroke. Sucked. butt. Returned it after using it once because if the blade was touching the wood before I pulled the trigger, it would just bind up and groan.

Fast forward a couple years and I had a gift certificate to HD and needed a sawsall. So I used it on a Ryobi since I had the batteries and could tell this was a newer model. (for one the selector for the orbital cutter was gone) This one is hands down far better than the first one. The first one I could easily bog it down by trying to start it with it in contact with the wood. This one cuts like nobody's business.

I'm really digging how they are improving the product line. I might have to try their blower again, because the first 18v leaf blower I tried went back the same day: if it wasnt dry material on pavement, forget it. It didnt have the power to move anything. Leaves in the grass? Forget it.

And I bought 40v chain saws, hedge trimmers, and string trimmers for my church. Those things are the bees knees.
    For sure. They’re pretty decent these days. I have zero complaints really. I will continue with expanding my inventory too

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Yep, this one right here:
    A full battery has easily gotten me through any of my home projects. It has been powerful enough to cut everything I've thrown at it from 3/4" MDF to pressure treated lumber to heavy plywood crosscuts and everything inbetween, including all the countertops I made this summer. I'm not a carpenter, so I can't say how long the saw or batteries would last for repeated all-day use, but for weekend+ warriors like me, it does a hell of a job. I use the Kreg rip-cut guide for most plywood rips and crosscuts, but I leave the saw sled on all the time. I'm happy with the cut accuracy. I can't tell you the last time I used my table saw, or radial arm saw for that matter. It's just too convenient!
    I use mine to cut steel and sheet metal.

Top Bottom