• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baune

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    North side of Indy
    Anyone else have this kind of gun? This was my first gun ever bought and frankly i'm very disappointed. I've always had problems with it feeding from the mag, and firing. It pisses me off so much I never even try to take it out plinking any more. Here's the problems, if anyone can help that would be great.

1) the thing shoots fine for the first mag (10 rounds) out of a cold barrel. After that, it seems like every 2-4 rounds it jams. What seems to be happening is it's trying to feed at too steep of an angle. The slide grabs the new round, but as it's chambering it jams the top of the bullet into the upper part of the barrel. I can see clear scrape marks on the top of the bullet after I take it out. I have tried at least 100 rounds of every type of ammo. Copper plated, lead, you name it i've tried it to get the damn thing to work right. I've had the best luck with the Remmington thunderbolt .22LR. Only jams about every 5 rounds.

2) I always get lots mis-fires. There's probably a technical term for it but it just goes "click.. and no boom". When I do get a round to feed properly, I pull the trigger, the hammer hits and ... click... so I rack a new round, examine the ejected, non-fired round and appears to be just fine, but with a little mark around the rim where the pin hit. So out of curiosity (and I know this is a no no, but i'm trying to investigate here) I put the bunk round in the chamber, pull the trigger and bang, fires, ejects, and sometimes feeds a new round.

I've deep cleaned it many times, inspected all the springs and eveything, no luck. At first I thought it was just because it was my first gun, I didn't know what to expect, and it was a cheap .22. But after reading other reviews of this gun, everyone says it's great. What the hell is going on?

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    First ..how many rounds have you put through it ?.
    and what kinda ammo was it ?( name brand )
    was it copper coated bullet or just soft lead ?

My walther P22 was really finiky about the ammo i fed her until she got broke in ..

Get some good ,Hot , ammo ...CCI stinger will work just fine ..

Shoot a mag full .
    Clean
    Shoot a mag full .
    Clean
    Shoot a mag full
    Clean
    do this for a few hundred rounds

stay away from cheap soft lead ammo until you get several hundred If not thousand rounds through her ...

As far as the pull the trigger and no boom could be a week hammer spring could be a bad firing pin . could be anything ,

but i honestly think it is in the ammo and the break in process of your gun :twocents:

I am sure others will be along to chime in with other Ideas for you also ..

PhilMcCrackin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2009
    Put about 200 CCI Mini Mags through it then switch to the bulk stuff, Also try looking at the feed ramp I know I gave my P22 a good polish and it has been eating everythin I throw at it. It loves Federal bulk pack now.

baune

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    North side of Indy
    I've scrubbed the entire gun, cleaned every part to pretty much a new condition every time. I've tried almost every brand of ammo.
    I haven't put hundreds of rounds of each type through it. Honestly, most times I get tired of ejecting the round, and maybe getting 4-5 shots out of a 10 round mag, and being embarrassed. So I just lay it to rest and pull out the Sig... (which I've never had a malfunction with by the way).
    I guess my concern is, I don't want to shoot 100 rounds of every brand of ammo out there to find the one the gun likes, I have to think there is something wrong with the recoil spring or hammer spring. Should I send it in or buy a refurb kit for it?

PhilMcCrackin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2009
    Ask most people and they will tell you, Break in the gun on some good High Velocity stuff.
    Go buy 200 rds of Mini Mags and shoot it. I understand that you are frustrated I would be too. I heard all kinds of people *****ing and complaining about their P22s too and every one has never properly broken them in.

baune

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    North side of Indy
    Like I said. First gun I ever bought. What the hell did I know about breaking in a barrel. Do you have any suggestions on the type of ammo to try in it?

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I had a Sig Mosquito that did the same thing,all it would run is the cci mini mags. I got rid of it and now have a S&W 22A that will eat up any thing you feed it. (it was broke in when I got it) I don't see how it would matter what brand you use to "break" it in. What did they use in the "old days" before cci mini mags? sounds like the mag is noy seating all the way in or the feed ramp my need some work. Worse case, call S&W, they will make it right.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Call Smith and Wesson and see what they recommend. Perhaps a trip back to them is in order.

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    i have the 22a my first 100 rounds were cci minimag and then did like 20 or 30 Remington bulk stuff and it shot just fine, the 22a did have a recall for insufficient headspace or something like that if you have the 22a look on the underside of the slide if there is a dot punched on the very back then it isn't subject to the recall. on the fail to fires from what i have heard read and lived it is just the downside to the rim-fire nothing to do bout it but reload it and try again or just toss it to the side and shoot on

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Just MO, but I'd try at least one different magazine before I started 'polishing' on anything. You ought to have at least a couple of them on hand anyway. Don't go for the cheapest there, factory OEM or a high-quality aftermarket brand such as Mec-Gar.

Many chronic feeding issues turn out to be mag related. It's the first thing I look at in the trouble shooting process with any RF semiauto.

Trying different brands of ammo has been covered. If the problem keeps happening with several types, see above.

The 'light-strike' FTFires are another issue and one that can have several causes. Diagnosing exactly what's at the root of them can get expensive fast if you go with guesswork and 'trial and error' parts swapping, and even more costly if anything happens to get inadvertantly buggered-up in the process. Since you're a tyro, it'd be worth your while IMO to have that one sorted out by the factory or a gunsmith. IME, in the long run it's always less expensive to rent specialized skills and experience than it is to acquire them on your own.

wanderer32

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    South, Louisiana
    Can try to clean all the oil out of it and lubricate with dry lube of some type, moly, graphite, etc. This stuff is not to bad for price and can always be used on other guns as well. All my small caliber's are lubricated this way as friction is reduced causing less drag and more power transfer to parts that need it. Another advantage is it does not attract dirt and powder residue so can shoot longer per outing. If this does not work I would definitely check on having gun repaired.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom