• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hexlobular

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    SWI
    I went to a friend's place to target shoot today. Had a great time shooting my new M&P9. He decided to bring out his S&W .357 magnum (I don't know the model) and let me fire a few rounds. He told me the last time he fired it, he'd had a couple issues with it not firing properly. Well, I tried it out, and when the hammer falls, it seems to be really slow, and the gun doesn't fire. I attempted 3 or 4 shots, but all with the same result. The firing pin would put a dimple in the bullet, but not enough to fire it.

He was disappointed, and was planning to take it to the LGS to have them look at it. I'd like to give him some words of wisdom of the cause and what to expect before he takes it in, but all I can guess is there's a weak or broken spring in there somewhere.

Anyone have or seen this issue? I don't know enough about the internals of revolvers to speak intelligently about them, and wouldn't mind learning a bit myself. Thanks in advance,

-Hex.

Hexlobular

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    SWI
    I fired it SA, and it didn't look like it had been cleaned in a while. He said he'd only put about 70 rounds through it since he'd had it (which has probably been 10 years), and the previous owner may have put upwards of 300 through it. I suggested he give it a deep cleaning, but he was certain there was something internal wrong with it (or perhaps just frustrated it wasn't operating properly).

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I have a Smith & Wesson revolver firing problem, too. The problem is that I don't have a Smith & Wesson revolver to fire right now! Tell your friend I'll take that junker off of his hands for fifty bux.

Seriously, 8th SPS is most probably right. Gunked up, or a bad spring. Good luck and good shooting to your friend and yourself.

digitalrebel80

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    New Whiteland
    Check for a loose stain screw people like to loosen them for a lighter pull but then they tend to back out and cause light strikes. The screw is on the frame under the grips. It should be run down tight.

Hexlobular

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    SWI
    I have a Smith & Wesson revolver firing problem, too. The problem is that I don't have a Smith & Wesson revolver to fire right now! Tell your friend I'll take that junker off of his hands for fifty bux.

Seriously, 8th SPS is most probably right. Gunked up, or a bad spring. Good luck and good shooting to your friend and yourself.

Thanks. I thought about trying to take if off his hands, too, but SWMBO would kill me. Hopefully, I can convince him to clean it up (or let me) before he pays someone else to look at it.

Hexlobular

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    SWI
    Check for a loose stain screw people like to loosen them for a lighter pull but then they tend to back out and cause light strikes. The screw is on the frame under the grips. It should be run down tight.

Thanks for the tip. I'll make sure to tell him. He's more of a rifle/shotgun guy, and doesn't know much about handguns, so I'll have him check it out.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    Based upon your description, I'm leaning more toward the "gunked up" idea as being the problem. If you tighten the strain screw, it may power its way though the gunk better, but I would make sure it's clean first. If he's not comfortable taking it completely apart... Have him carefully remove the grips and side plate. He can then "de-gunk" pretty well with some gun blaster spray cleaner. When dry, use some light, high grade oil on all the bearing surfaces he can see. That should really do the trick without fear of having to reassemble all those parts. I've really not found the S&W's to be all that tricky, but "a man has to know his limitations".
    Luck,
    Jim

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana

This, or the gunk.

For some reason, some people think it's a good idea to spray QD40 in their guns, I've handled many a sluggish and nasty revolvers that's had that crap sprayed in it at one time or another. Or people put grease in it that solidifies over time.

Make sure the strain screw is tight, then pop the side plate off and see what it looks like in there. If you don't feel like taking all the parts out, get some Outers foaming bore cleaner and spray it, give it a couple times to sit, then hose the stuff out with some gun scrubber and compressed air, then put some Slip2000 in there

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    This, or the gunk.

For some reason, some people think it's a good idea to spray QD40 in their guns, I've handled many a sluggish and nasty revolvers that's had that crap sprayed in it at one time or another. Or people put grease in it that solidifies over time.

Make sure the strain screw is tight, then pop the side plate off and see what it looks like in there. If you don't feel like taking all the parts out, get some Outers foaming bore cleaner and spray it, give it a couple times to sit, then hose the stuff out with some gun scrubber and compressed air, then put some Slip2000 in there

This is just what I was about to suggest. Popping a side plate of isnt that big of a deal to most hobbyist gunsmith, but not everyone is comfortable digging that deep into a revolver. Spraying with the little hose down through the hammer hole, and let it soak. Follow with the gun scrubber and compressed air. I would let it sit for a bit, and then use a light gun oil (I tend to use Rem Oil, but what ever gun oil you prefer should work fine). Make sure the strain screw (located about where your little finger lays across the front side of the grip frame) is snugged up, and see where you are. I have encountered a broken spring before, but the hammer doesnt move at all. Chances are that screw is loose, and it just needs a good deep cleaning.

JBI812

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    East side Indianapol
    Earlier today I was reading about a Police Department who pulled their new SW M&P handguns and re-issued their old SIG 226 units. Sounds like someone else is having quality issues.

Seven High

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    One other thing that you can check is if a previous owner shortened the strain screw in an effort to smooth up the action. This would cause misfires also.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    +1 to getting that side plate off and liberally cleaning the internals.

You don't have to know anything about guns to do this but you do need to use a proper fitting screw driver to avoid buggering up the screws.

Once you have the grips off, take off all the screws in the side plate and tap the frame where the grips attach using a rubber mallet or a wooden dowel. After a few wacks, the side plate will pop off or lift up enough it can be gently removed.

Very very easy to handle for anyone. Nothing will come flying out of the gun except for maybe the hammer drop safety, which it should be very obvious where you drop it back in.

After you get it cleaned out and put back together, crank down the strain screw in the front strap of the grip, slap back on the grips, and it will be good to go again.

Top Bottom