• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shawn76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2016
    nowhere
    Not sure if the pics are going to show but as you can see it's not perfect.

Attachments

• 20200210_194511.jpg
      20200210_194511.jpg
      332 KB · Views: 25
    • 20200208_141847.jpg
      20200208_141847.jpg
      324 KB · Views: 19

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    As long as the frame isn't beat up I'll buy but same here have one already. I prefer all stainless but any 3rd gen is welcome in my collection.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Will probably start assembling my 5906 frame soon. Looking to do some polishing of surfaces that rub together and eventually buy a scope for the b square mount for square trigger guards.

Also looking for another 3913 grip since the last 2 I got are for a 457, 4516, 4013.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    I saw those and they're a bargain. The TSW's don't have quite as nice a trigger as the earlier DAO guns but they do have other advantages. It'll be a nice shootin' brick,....that's for sure.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I saw those and they're a bargain. The TSW's don't have quite as nice a trigger as the earlier DAO guns but they do have other advantages. It'll be a nice shootin' brick,....that's for sure.

I think it depends on how used you get. Otherwise some internal polishing will smooth things out. Been working on my 5906 parts gun target build for awhile and have a fairly smooth working trigger bar thats barely rubs the frame.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Different hammer/trigger geometry on the TSW guns(most of them anyway). They can have 'good' triggers, but they won't be equivalent to the earlier models which for lack of a better term fire from half-cock. The TSW series came out as a cost cutting imho utilizing standard frames and slides and fire from a quarter-cock,.....so the pull will be longer and a bit heavier on those.

Quick guide:

If the slide has the round plug in place of the safety/decocker it's an early model DAO.

If the slide has the kidney shaped plug it's a TSW. Only exception I know of is the 4053 of which there are two models. The first 4053 is a compact single-stack built on a .45 frame. The 4053TSW is a compact double-stack built on the 9mm/.40 frame. Both have round plugs with the early action.

My understanding is that most if not all TSW guns have MIM internals(remember that cost cutting I mentioned earlier?). But from what I hear the MIM internals do tend to be smoother from the factory than the older forged series of parts and people who know far more about these guns than I do claim the MIM parts are better in every way. Except that they don't take to tuning as well as forged parts, but then again the claim is that they don't need it. I can't say from experience,......I've got 40 or 50 different DAO models but not a single TSW gun outside of three of the 4053TSW's. No kidney guns here yet.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Different hammer/trigger geometry on the TSW guns(most of them anyway). They can have 'good' triggers, but they won't be equivalent to the earlier models which for lack of a better term fire from half-cock. The TSW series came out as a cost cutting imho utilizing standard frames and slides and fire from a quarter-cock,.....so the pull will be longer and a bit heavier on those.

Quick guide:

If the slide has the round plug in place of the safety/decocker it's an early model DAO.

If the slide has the kidney shaped plug it's a TSW. Only exception I know of is the 4053 of which there are two models. The first 4053 is a compact single-stack built on a .45 frame. The 4053TSW is a compact double-stack built on the 9mm/.40 frame. Both have round plugs with the early action.

My understanding is that most if not all TSW guns have MIM internals(remember that cost cutting I mentioned earlier?). But from what I hear the MIM internals do tend to be smoother from the factory than the older forged series of parts and people who know far more about these guns than I do claim the MIM parts are better in every way. Except that they don't take to tuning as well as forged parts, but then again the claim is that they don't need it. I can't say from experience,......I've got 40 or 50 different DAO models but not a single TSW gun outside of three of the 4053TSW's. No kidney guns here yet.

The TSW had tighter tolerances than the standard 3rd gen as well as a longer frame rail. Ill have to take pics of my 4006 and 5906 frames side by side. The MIM stuff is supposedly finished more consistent, and the s&w folks seem to like it in the semi autos vs the revolvers. I'll have to pull out the 5946 and 4046 and do trigger pull tests once my collection addition arrives.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Please do. I also saw last night that the same seller has 5946TSW's for $349. Also tempting. My impression is that the 9mm is much less common than the .40 since all LE was on the .40 bandwagon around the time the TSW was introduced. I think this is the first time I've seen surplus 5946TSW's.

Top Bottom