• ...and so much more!
  • Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    No, I would like to fire one as I hunt with a .44 Redhawk..... a few LGS said the Smith .500 is the most returned/ traded in gun to them.

bowtie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    South Bend
    Its not for everyone. Its more of a safe queen for me and simply a beautiful gun. I must say though with the 8 3/8 inch barrel and the ported compensator the recoil isnt terribly bad.

Now ive seen some of the other models which dont have the compensator and people have told me they kick like mules!

I can understand people trading them in though. Its too much gun

Chetna

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Cedar Lake
    I do own a 500 and I can tell you honestly I love to shoot it. But this is one of my guns I consider a range toy or a people pleaser. I do not hunt or roam man eater wilderness. The gun shoots straight and has a hell of a bang but most ranges won't let you shoot it indoors and ammo is a killer. All in all I would buy one if I were to do it over again

bowtie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    South Bend
    I almost bought a H&R Handirifle in 500S&W but damn the ammo is rediculous. The recoil in a 500S&W rifle is a lot. I can only imagine the handgun recoil.

yes the ammo is expensive. About 59.99 for a box of 20. Its not something you want to go to the range with and put 100 rounds through it.

The recoil isnt bad at all

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    No, I would like to fire one as I hunt with a .44 Redhawk..... a few LGS said the Smith .500 is the most returned/ traded in gun to them.

Did they say why it was returned? Buyers remorse? Or problems with the gun? I have been thinking about buying one. I have the DE50ae it is not a bad gun to shoot. I enjoy it. I am thinking it would make a neat addition to my revolver line up (new passion) I have a Super Redhawk 44mag w/9in barrel that I scoped. It is the most fun to shoot of all my hand guns. I am hoping the SW.500 would be fun too.

Sorry, I don't meant to highjack the thread but I am curious.

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    My LGS's all say they get returned because the novelty wears off after 2-3 shots for most people. A few I've seen had even split their packmeyer grips.

If I remember correctly, the 460 also shoots the 454 and 45LC. I'd go for it myself if I wanted something like that. If I went to Alaska, I'd load up 460's, but for almost all other shooting, I'd practice with the other calibers.

SHCdvldg

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Waukesha
    I shot a friend's 500 a few times, he had some lower recoil hand loads, and some pretty hot hand loads. It was the shorter barrel model (4"?). I found the recoil manageable even with the hotter loads. Didnt S&W design the gun to have a reduced recoil feel with those big cartridges?

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    bigones.jpg

I have the 500 and two of the .460s.

I would definitely recommend the .460 over the .500 just for the fact that you can fire the .45 Colt ammo, the .454 cassul, the .45 Schofield ( I heard, but never tried it) as well as the .460 ammo. The .460 shoots flatter and faster than the .500.

The .500 does attract attention at the range and it is a ball to shoot. I have more fun watching people shoot mine than firing it myself.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    I defintely want something in 500 S&W if not the revolver a barrel for my Encore. I would load mine with some Trailboss powder and zing some 400gr lead pills at deer around 850-900fps should kill them just as dead and save my wrist in the process but If I ever get the chance to go for something bigger I could load some full house rounds and go to work.

chrisjross85

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    Martinsville,IN
    I will say this is going to be my next firearm that I purchase, I have shot many of them and love them. I will say if you reload then A. it's cheaper B. you can adjust you loads to make it hit lighter. I adventure to Alaska quiet a bit so It's a great tool to carry. I will say that I am going to look into the 460 a little more.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I've had one for some years.

My local gun dealer had one for a very good price.

Teddy Kennedy was in the news crying about how civilians shouldn't be allowed to own "such guns".

Figured if Teddy thinks its wrong, it MUST be right! :D

So i bought it.

It's more of a toy than anything, but I do take it to my cabin in the woods of NW Wisconsin where there are black bears.

bowtie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    South Bend
    Surprisingly alot of people dont know such a big thing exists. You should see the look on peoples faces at my local DNR when Im in the mood to shoot it.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I've had one for some years.

My local gun dealer had one for a very good price.

Teddy Kennedy was in the news crying about how civilians shouldn't be allowed to own "such guns".

Figured if Teddy thinks its wrong, it MUST be right! :D

So i bought it.

It's more of a toy than anything, but I do take it to my cabin in the woods of NW Wisconsin where there are black bears.

Lets see, they made there money as rum runners and boot legger's. What a fine family to give advice on right and wrong.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Did they say why it was returned? Buyers remorse? Or problems with the gun? I have been thinking about buying one. I have the DE50ae it is not a bad gun to shoot. I enjoy it. I am thinking it would make a neat addition to my revolver line up (new passion) I have a Super Redhawk 44mag w/9in barrel that I scoped. It is the most fun to shoot of all my hand guns. I am hoping the SW.500 would be fun too.

Sorry, I don't meant to highjack the thread but I am curious.
    Sorry for the late reply, but yes only returned due to cost vs useage and some admitted it was too much recoil..

We really don't shoot the .44s all that much either so it would be a safe queen for me too

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Sorry for the late reply, but yes only returned due to cost vs useage and some admitted it was too much recoil..

We really don't shoot the .44s all that much either so it would be a safe queen for me too

Thanks for the reply. I am a little crazy. I really enjoy shooting my Redhawk 44mag and my Desert Eagle .50ae. I am a big guy with big hands to the recoil is not too bad. I don't have a S&W anything so that is also a plus :)

Top Bottom