• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I have been considering purchasing a full sized .357 for quite a while now. The revolver that I've been leaning towards is a 4" S&W 686. I stopped by my local gun shop today and noticed that they had a 4" 586 on the shelf. It is a fine looking gun and I almost walked out the door with it before I decided that I needed to do more research.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 586 virtually identical to the 686 other than the frame metal and the finish? I would primarily use this gun at the range, but I'd like to have the option of OC'ing it as well. I know that the stainless 686 would hold up better to lots of carrying, but how would the blue 586 do? I wouldn't be carrying the gun more that once every week or two.

My local gun shop has this gun for $700. Is this a reasonable price?

Is there anything I should know about the 586 or the differences between a 586 and 686?

Thanks for your help INGO. :patriot:

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Except for the 586 being blued steelor nickel plated and the 686 being stainless the two are the same gun except for differences that may have come from vintage/ ie firing pin bushing etc that were changed from the earliest guns.
    How much a blued gun wears will depend much on the holster you choose.

Last edited:

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    If your going to spend $700 for the 586 then wait around for 686p, seven shot. Have seen them often for same price or a little more. Blued will disappoint ya in carry roles, IMO.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    If your going to spend $700 for the 586 then wait around for 686p, seven shot. Have seen them often for same price or a little more. Blued will disappoint ya in carry roles, IMO.

I was initially considering the 686+, but there is a much smaller selection of speed loaders for the seven shot revolvers.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    I was initially considering the 686+, but there is a much smaller selection of speed loaders for the seven shot revolvers.

.357 7 Shot Accessories
    357_7k_bb_kit.jpg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I'm confused.:dunno:

Confused about what? What Ken Hackathorn said.

Wait, lemme guess, you don't know who that is? Why is everyone on INGO so much younger than me.

I remember when I used to wear an onion on my belt and take the ferry to Morganville and we'd buy guns for $100 and they were guns made of steel, not plastic and we wouldn't go on-line and make 2,500 page threads about how we love our plastic guns. I called nickels bees . . .

If you treat your guns like a lawnmower, run them hard and put them up wet, then get the stainless gun as it is more resistant to neglect. Ken Hackathorn says this about Glocks.

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI

This is why I prefer 6 shots as well. Get an SL Variant speedloader from bobbymac's. They're function great and quality tools.

As to the price, the other guys said this as well, but $700 is a bit much in my opinion. Although it is a brand new 586 which is cool and less common than you're 686's.

If for some reason you just want the blued, rock on. I would personally wait until a 686 comes on here. You can generally get a very nice revolver for the $550-600 range. Maybe even pick up a prelock at that price if you care about that.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I saw a new 586 at a LGS the other day and she was a beauty. I briefly thought about getting it until I remembered that I don't buy blued or nickel revolvers. I learned long ago they are just to pretty. That's why I roll stainless.:twocents:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    586 and 681..

I have a blue Model 586--6"bbl that I bought from the Members here. It is a GREAT target gun, hunting gun.

My 4" 681 IS my go-to .357 for all overall uses. With the action polish, and Wolff Springs, it's right there at a Python "Feel"..Carries well, and with the fixed sights, shoots right to the point of aim with 158 grain bullets..Bill.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Confused about what? What Ken Hackathorn said.

Wait, lemme guess, you don't know who that is? Why is everyone on INGO so much younger than me.

I remember when I used to wear an onion on my belt and take the ferry to Morganville and we'd buy guns for $100 and they were guns made of steel, not plastic and we wouldn't go on-line and make 2,500 page threads about how we love our plastic guns. I called nickels bees . . .

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

The next thing you are going to tell me is that you learned everything you need to know about handguns from Elmer Keith's "Sixguns" or "No Second Place Winner" by Bill Jordan...

Hey Kirk. Do you remember wooden grips? Man..Those were good times...:rolleyes:

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Congrats that is a sharp piece.
    Those are probably the best looking factory stocks I have seen in a long time. If the other side is as nice I would pull those and replace with something else and sell those to me:D
    Beautiful:yesway:

You all aren't very good at convincing me to save my money. :D

Top Bottom