• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clhettinger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Lafayette
    Are there any thoughts on the 642? I have no shooting experience in the small revolver realm so any input would be appreciated on how it shoots. I'm looking for the purpose of concealed carry but still want to be able to enjoy shooting it.

As for the Ruger, I'm looking for the same purpose (but not interested in shooting 357 magnums). Would the added weight/size be a hindrance to carry? I'm thinking IWB or ankle holster.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The extra weight of the SP101 is going to make it a lot easier to shoot. But that weight comes with a price. I personally think the SP101 would be a bit too heavy for pocket or ankle carry. With a good belt it would be perfect OWB or IWB.

The Smith 642 is an awesome pocket gun. The hammerless/centenial style guns are not going to snag on clothing. Light weight will be more comfortable to carry. These guns beg to be carried a lot and shot little.

I am sure I haven't told you anything you didn't already know. But if you want a shooter then go SP101 if you want an ankle gun go with the Smith.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I haven't shot the SP101 but I have had the 642 and it is manageable with target ammo, but it can be a handful when using the +P. If you are going to spend more time shooting than carrying get the SP101 but if light weight is more important go with the Smith.

X ring

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    I carry the Fedral Nyclad ammo in my model 637(exposed hammer). Do a search and read a little about it, controlable recoil with plenty of knock down power and good expansion. I really like this combination for the "airweight" frame.

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    I carried the SP101 for years, very well built gun. I sold it off for the 642 and MAN the weight difference is HUGE! I would go 642 for carry, but the SP101 was a shooter!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Lots of days, I have carried my SP101 "Mexican" for the last 15 years and my 642 or 442 in my right front pocket in a Kramer pocket holster as a backup to the SP101.

All three guns will easily ring steel at 100 yards with 38 special ammo.

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    Have you held both? To me, the 642 was a much better fit in my hand. That was a huge factor for me when I was looking for a small frame revolver.

I take mine to the range almost every time I go. I want the one that I carry the most to be the most familiar to me. I use standard pressure JHP (not +P) as my carry for the airweight.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The extra weight of the SP101 is going to make it a lot easier to shoot. But that weight comes with a price. I personally think the SP101 would be a bit too heavy for pocket or ankle carry. With a good belt it would be perfect OWB or IWB.

The Smith 642 is an awesome pocket gun. The hammerless/centenial style guns are not going to snag on clothing. Light weight will be more comfortable to carry. These guns beg to be carried a lot and shot little.

I am sure I haven't told you anything you didn't already know. But if you want a shooter then go SP101 if you want an ankle gun go with the Smith.

^^^ This^^^

Both are great, just kind of different breeds. SP101 is built tough and is a very nice shooting gun, but heavier. 642 is a great concealable gun and light weight, but for some people is not pleasent to shoot. Good luck with your decision!

or just get both! ;)

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I'll cast a vote for the sp101. It may be a bit heavy for pocket carry, maybe not....I carry mine IWB. It is built like a frggin' tank. I doubt I could hurt it with a sledge hammer. The shear strength of the construction is why it gets my vote, well the size too.....This is a gun that will last more than one lifetime IMO.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I'll cast a vote for the sp101. It may be a bit heavy for pocket carry, maybe not....I carry mine IWB. It is built like a frggin' tank. I doubt I could hurt it with a sledge hammer. The shear strength of the construction is why it gets my vote, well the size too.....This is a gun that will last more than one lifetime IMO.

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    I've had both. I kept the 642 for myself and gave the SP101 to my daughter for a purse gun.

Like others have said if the recoil bothers you or you want to use it as a range gun get the SP101. If you want comfortable all day deep concealment without a hammer to snag on your clothing as you pull it from your pocket get the Airweight.

Both are great guns and very reliable.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I've had an SP101 (2.25" in .357mag for 17+ years...it's the one gun I won't trade nor sell! While it may be on the 'heavier' side for ankle carry...I've done it for years!

Advantages to the SP101:
    a) it has a pinned-in front sight...which means it's simple to install a Meprolight (or XS Sight) tritium front night sight...aiding in low-level light,
    b) for ankle or pocket carry, I have a set of Badger Custom "Boot Grips" making the gun approximately the same size as the S&W 642...heavier, but size-comparible.
    c) the extra weight handles .38+P loads much better.
    d) the SP101 has a variety of aftermarket grips available from Hogue (getgrip.com), Badger Custom, Trausch, etc...as well as holsters from Bianchi (Ranger #7, 3-slot) DeSantis, Galco, Fobus, Uncle Mikes, etc...to choose from.

If you're interested, the gunbroker website has a Ruger SP101 in .38+P for sale right now...stated as NIB!

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I have both the 642 and the SP101, with a Meprolight tritium front sight. (.357, bobbed hammer, 2.25"). I will carry the 642 as a pocket gun much more frequently than the SP101 because of its weight and grip size (I've tried a Badger boot grip on the SP101. Ouch!!!).

However, I would never consider selling the SP101 because it's such a great gun.

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    I have had a 442 and liked the weight and ability to carry in my pocket but the recoil was pretty harsh. I sold it and replaced it with a SP101 which I have enjoyed shooting. I will say you cannot comfortably pocket carry a SP101 so that is a downside compared to a 642. If you are ok with an IWB holster than I would go with the SP101.

jffyg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Hamilton
    Hogue grips in MHO are a mixed bag for CC. I think they are larger at least on a SP101, harder to conceal. Also with hard recoiling rounds kind of hurt my pinky. Maybe I was trying to hold on too tight with full house 357. I hope I don't offend anyone but I would also like to suggest that no matter which wheelie you go with you get a model with a hammer. I know that it may snag in certain conditions but I feel that the ability to have an SA first shot may mean a world of difference in 1st hit accuracy. Just my 2 cents.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    you should look into the Ruger LCR either in 38 or 357

I have shot the LCR, 442, 642 & Taurus 850 UltraLite. All are good guns. Of those 4 I personally feel the Ruger LCR was the most controllable and easiest to shoot. The polymer frame seems to soak up the recoil and the trigger is different. Unlike the Smiths and Taurus you can't stage the Ruger. What I dislike about the Ruger LCR is that it lacks the character of the Smiths. Stupid I know, but a 642 just looks better.

Now the Ruger SP101 is a great looking gun! Built like a tank and heavy for a snub. Good shooter.

A. Ramon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Are there any thoughts on the 642? I have no shooting experience in the small revolver realm so any input would be appreciated on how it shoots. I'm looking for the purpose of concealed carry but still want to be able to enjoy shooting it.

As for the Ruger, I'm looking for the same purpose (but not interested in shooting 357 magnums). Would the added weight/size be a hindrance to carry? I'm thinking IWB or ankle holster.

you should look into the Ruger LCR either in 38 or 357

I carry the Ruger LCR for on-duty back up and off-duty. Been an awesome pistol for me. My wife carries the 642, but we had to get the trigger lightened up for her. Its down to around 8 lbs now, but she shoot my Ruger a tick better. I believe its the grips on my Ruger that helps her.

Top Bottom