• ...and so much more!
  • AverageMidwest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fishers
    Hey folks -

I've been looking for a new (okay, not new, without lock) four inch 686. In checking the usual online locations like GunBroker and GunsAmerica, I've seen several listings for a 686 Mountain Gun, which look like a 686 with about a third of the underbarrel lug missing. Can't remember where I saw the notes about it, but it's supposed to be just as strong as a standard 686, but handle like a Model 66 or Model 19...which is sounding to me like just about the perfect 357 wheelgun. Has anyone seen or shot one of these? I'd alomost contemplate buying one with the internal lock if it shot well.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    All 686 and 586 smiths shoot and handle well. Never shot one that was not a sweet grouper. Most of the ones I have shot have been the longer barreled versions. The frames are the same and the unlug is the difference. Come to think about it I do not know if I have ever seen a 4 inch 686. I have shot 6 and 8 inchers.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    get a 686+ combat magnum 7 shot.....it will out shoot you....at least mine does...took off the rubber factory grips and got a set of wood targets......mine's a 6"...
    24yuszl.jpg

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Owned a 4" 66 back in the day. Excellent gun with an action smoother than 12 year old scotch. God have mercy on the SOB who stole it from me because, if I ever find him, I won't.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I am a bit of a Bill Jordan nut, the ONLY wheelgun is the Smith 19! :D

I had a 686, tuned it up quite a bit, sold it to Hemicharger on the boards.

For accuracy, durability, and awesome finish, the 686 cannot be beat. Ruger is a "more" durable gun (beefier, but a cast frame instead of the forged Smith frame), but cannot get the same trigger feel (especially compared to my old 686) unless serious work is performed. The 686 I worked on I restoned the internals, resprung and polished. I did not even get into lightening and shimming parts! :D

G-Niner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    I don't see how you could go wrong. I love my 686's (I have a 4" and a 6"). The L frame is beefier than the K frame but has the K frame grip, really nice with those finger groove grips and exposed back strap. The lighter barrel on the Mountain Gun should point like a dream.

inFALable

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Hamilton Co.
    I searched for an affordable 686 Mountain gun for a couple of years. Everyone I saw was over 700. I eventually bought a Mountain gun barrel to convert one of my 686's. I think the 686 Mountain gun is the best platform for the .357 ever.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I have a friend that has one, it shoots great, but they handle much different that a standard model. I have a S&W 19 also, and it feels different from that for some reason. very cool gun though

AverageMidwest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fishers
    Thanks for the feedback, both on Mountain Gun and 686s in general. I've had two, sold them both, can't do without one. REALLY regret letting go of the 6 inch Power Port model....most accurate handgun I've ever fired.

AverageMidwest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fishers
    The 686 Mountain Gun currently available is a limited run model made for a distributor called Lipsey's.....I've seen prices ranging from 674 to 700 on gunbroker.com. As is the case with many things that S & W does, I don't understand why they don't release it as a regular model. (Why don't they do away with the freakin' internal lock? Why don't they release the Model 27 as something other than the Classic, which costs an arm and a leg? Steppin' off my soapbox...)

chevy2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Years ago I owned a 3 inch 686 it was also a special run for S&W.Great gun sold it and am still looking for a replacement.

Top Bottom