• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • prescut

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    United States
    This is a hell of a story. I wanted a model 60-18 Pro Series with a 5" barrel. I thought I saw one on GunBroker, so I contacted the gun shop in NM that had it. They said they have it priced a little high and that they would take my phone offer. I got it several weeks later and found to my dismay that it was a S&W Pro Series 686. It had a 5" slab sided barrel, rubber grips, and 7 rounds. I called the NM GS and they said it must be some kind of mistake. They claimed they had taken down the GB ad and that they did not have a copy to check what the ad actually said. They claimed to have tried to get a copy from GB, but i do not believe they ever did. At no time did they claim it said 686. I still don't think it did.

So being unable to prove that they had made the mistake, I was stuck with a 686 Pro. I took it to the range and shot the best single group I have ever done at 45'; all the little holes touching. It has spectacular accuracy. The Pro Series is supposed to be Smith's line that uses the Performance Center gunsmiths and higher end parts. The trigger was smooth as silk, but it measured 11 pounds in double action and a little under 5 lbs in single action. I have lots of experience with S&W so I called and asked about trigger weight. They immediately said send it in with your preferences. I sent it with a desire for 8 lbs and 3 lbs. I just got it back after 4 weeks and it is perfect. No charge including shipping.

My hands usually like the J frames best. I walk backcountry a week a month and love carrying a trail kit gun. That is loosely defined as a smaller pistol with adjustable sights and a longer barrel. I believe the S&W 60-18 J frame with 5" barrel is just the ticket. 26 oz
    This 686 Pro just doesn't fit that description. The K frame 686 is larger and heavier. 40 oz
    So after getting the wrong pistol and sending it to the Performance Center, you won't believe it when I say I have bonded with this 686. The slab sided barrel really gives it a gorgeous, distinctive look. The trigger is sheer poetry and the accuracy is astounding. I have discovered that when I have a great trigger, the K frame fits me just fine. It's not my trail gun, but I may finally have found something new that could vie for my affections with my vintage accumulation. I love old pistols, but this sweetie has found a home. I got the wrong gun and wound up loving it.
    Has this ever happened to anybody else?
    Lost

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Ok, wow, you should buy a lottery ticket stat! Lucky indeed!!

I recently picked up the new model 66 Combat (66-8). I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but so far, I'm really digging it. But it likely can't hold a candle to what you lucked into. Just... WOW.

My only complaint on the new 66 Combat is the "glass bead" finish. I'm not impressed, but everything else about it has so far been fantastic.

prescut

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    United States
    OK, MCGrease08,
    You're right. I will try and post my first pic.

Lost
    Lottery yes! I have bought lots of the "right" guns and hated them. This is a first for the absolute reversal.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Here, I'll play... hopefully this comes through OK. Match Champion on the top, 66 Combat on the bottom:

RugerandSmith_zps434a1519.png
    [/URL][/IMG]

Top Bottom