• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Sorry, no fun pictures or anything, just random info.

Took my new S&W Bodyguard 380 out to the range yesterday. Ran 175 rounds through it:

Box 1 - 50ct Federal
    Box 2 - 50ct Magtech
    Box 3 - 50ct TulAmmo
    Box 4 - 25ct Hornaday Critical Defense

Box 1, 2, and 4 ran through with zero problems, all rounds fired and fed just fine.

Box 3, the TulAmmo, had at least 15 FTF, and at least 10 of them didn't fire on the 2nd try. Needless to say I won't try and save a couple bucks buying that again.

I was overall happy with performance, expected more problems than I had from what I've read. Mine is an EAT serial #, made in early september.

alluwant

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    I like the look of the bodyguard, I was wondering how far away were you shooting, and how accurate it was thanks

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    I like the look of the bodyguard, I was wondering how far away were you shooting, and how accurate it was thanks

7-10 yards was the distance

Accuracy? Well they all hit the target :D

In all fairness this is my first handgun and first time firing one, so I'm sure I held it back from its full potential. :laugh:

SixSigmaLarry

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   1
    Jan 3, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Glad you like the 380. I have one too and am pleased with it, but will put it up for sale soon (nothing performance related....I just have a couple new toys to replace it).

I like Hornady Critical Defense in mine.

Again, congrats on the purchase!

BBSparkle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have the BG as well. I like it. Slides right in my back pocket and disappears. It IS NOT a quick draw, but at least it gets carried.

The only time I've ever had a FTF was with TulAmmo 7.62x39. Something like 12 out of 100 rounds. I've never bought that junk since.

cmstuard

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    96   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    SW Indiana
    Own a BG and like it, but had a few bugs at first. Laser failed at range... S&W repaired free. Had a problem with the screw backing out that held the laser in the frame. Repaired and has been reliable ever since. I had trouble with FTF with RWS ammo due to their harder primers. Everything else has functioned fine... never shot Tula in it, but expect it to a harder primer as well.

Swim404

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    ATL
    Did any of you by chance have really bad pain in the webbing of your hand (particularly the base of the thumb bone) after shooting the Bodyguard? I put 50 rounds through mine a few weeks ago before having to stop and it still feels bruised. I didn't get that bruising feeling after shooting a Glock 19, so am wondering if it's just the Bodyguard causing it?

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Did any of you by chance have really bad pain in the webbing of your hand (particularly the base of the thumb bone) after shooting the Bodyguard? I put 50 rounds through mine a few weeks ago before having to stop and it still feels bruised. I didn't get that bruising feeling after shooting a Glock 19, so am wondering if it's just the Bodyguard causing it?

Yes, I had the same experience. It is not designed for high round count and general plinking w comfort. It is an awesome carry gun.

ZachJ03

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Grant Co.
    How is the trigger pull on the BG? And is the laser pretty reliable? I held a used one last week at a local shop, it seemed like I had to push the buttons pretty hard to activate the laser. Seemed pretty nice though, I've been looking into the 380 pocket guns for purchase.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Try some Fiocchi. Not a lot of it, but mine won't eat that. Everything else I've tried, though. The Fiocchi just won't go into battery.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    How is the trigger pull on the BG? And is the laser pretty reliable? I held a used one last week at a local shop, it seemed like I had to push the buttons pretty hard to activate the laser. Seemed pretty nice though, I've been looking into the 380 pocket guns for purchase.

Trigger pull is long and hard, I think it's around 12 pounds from what I've read. It is what it is, it won't bother me as this is for personal defense.

The laser was a pain at first, I took the buttons out to contemplate the q-tip mod and when I put them back in I must have straightened out the rubber "nipples" and it activates very easily now. Maybe too much so.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side

I didn't have any issues at all after 175 rounds.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Range report #2 :)

Hit ECPR again yesterday. Problems ensued.

100rnds MagTech
    100rnds Aluminum Cased Blazer

Blazer functioned fine.
    MagTech not so much. Numerous double feed failures, FTE, one squib round (thanks to the range office with the squib removing set :))

Accuracy (meaning: me) improved from last time. :)

Getting expensive to feed this little beasty. Blew through $80 in ammo yesterday.

Top Bottom