• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I too have to say the P320. My perception for feel, fit, finish, etc., while subjective to be sure, is a sentiment that seems to be shared by many. Personal choice based on personal criteria will always win the day, but I have to strongly side with the Sig.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I did just read a review from one of the popular gun magazines (I forget which one) that said the P320 has one of the best striker pistol triggers out of the box they've ever handled. Found a couple other places that commented on how good the trigger is on the P320, so looks like if I can scrape the cash when Uncle Sam gives me my dues back (i claim under through the year for a forced savings plan, lol) I'll be shopping around. I know the P320RX is out of stock at Davidsons (GunGenie)... It'd be nice to have the option (and a couple reviewers suspected it could happen) to offer the machined slide standalone so you could upgrade the non-RX models down the road... I'd be all over that, buy the plain model first and upgrade later...

I wouldn't put to much stock in the "one of the best out of the box striker triggers" comment. While it has a respectable trigger, gun mags have been throwing that line out there on just about every striker fired pistol that has come out in the past few years.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I wouldn't put to much stock in the "one of the best out of the box striker triggers" comment. While it has a respectable trigger, gun mags have been throwing that line out there on just about every striker fired pistol that has come out in the past few years.

Well, look at who owned the market before the newcomers. They probably do feel pretty great by comparison. The big 3 in striker pistols all had wretched triggers. I haven't tried the CZ yet, so I'll hold out my opinion on which one is best until I get to try that one.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville

I would.

The P320 has one of the three best out of the box striker triggers in the World today.

Also in the top three is the PPQ.

I don't know who might also be in that list, but it isn't the Glock or the M&P.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I would.

The P320 has one of the three best out of the box striker triggers in the World today.

Also in the top three is the PPQ.

I don't know who might also be in that list, but it isn't the Glock or the M&P.

I've seen professional reviews claim "one of the best" about the Ruger American, the 320, the Canik, the VP9, the PPQ, Remingtons new pistol, and I'm sure some others. At some point if they are all "one of the best" its the new average.

TangoSierraEcho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2016
    Monroe County
    I have not had the opportunity to mess with a 2.0 yet but have gotten in a few of the 320s in both 9mm and 357SIG, I am actually probably going to buy the 357SIG as I loved the performance of it. I do know that they are all going fairly fast from what I can see from my distributors. Ever since the Army announced that they were going with the 320 to replace Beretta, stock is emptying quickly. I like Smith & Wesson but I have never been partial to their semi-autos. I'm not saying they make bad stuff in autos I just have never personally been partial to them. I've always favored Sig or Glock.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I've seen professional reviews claim "one of the best" about the Ruger American, the 320, the Canik, the VP9, the PPQ, Remingtons new pistol, and I'm sure some others. At some point if they are all "one of the best" its the new average.

Which of these reviews had full page ads in the same magazine sponsored by the same pistol being reviewed?

I can can tell you that the Canik, P320, PPQ, and VP9 have much better triggers than the Glock, XD, or M&P. The PPQ is far and away the best, and the P320 and VP9 are tied for second, but a bit inconsistent from gun to gun. I would like to try the CZ P10, it's supposedly very good.

I think we've reached the point where the triggers have become what they always should have been. That the old guard hasn't kept up is institutional complacency. And I can't blame them, as sales are very strong. But the people who care to research for themselves and listen to more than Internet hype will likely spend their money on something a little nicer at the same price point. Heck, you can get a Canik for $150 less than a Glock, and they are surprisingly nice.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    The only con so far I've seen mentioned about the P320 is in a review I read somewhere online the other day... It basically said that due to the way the trigger group is made and sits in the frame, the bore axis was higher than most pistols. One of the reasons I like my CZ (Tanfoglio) so much is the low bore axis, when I had my CZ97 to me it had noticeably less muzzle flip than the 1911 I was shotting side by side with it.

Still waiting to see how finances shake out... Bills first, fun second and all that jazz...

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Played with the P320 RX today at the old Point Blank. Really like that pistol. Trigger nice. Still has the sproingy feel of a striker though.

If someone would buy my two M&Ps I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    320 would be my choice. Factory triggers are good and as noted already, apex makes upgrades. The sig shoots better for me, but that is just my personal experience.

No experience with M&P 2.0, but all the other versions (CORE, 9c, etc) have been a little underwhelming to me. Not my preference.

I love my P320.

I have a GGI PELT trigger on order (hen's teeth and hard to come by), but my order was confirmed and I should have it soon. I'll update my other thread once I get it in. I expect it will be a great deal better than the Apex, which doesn't really lighten things at all.

It better be, since it's 2x the price of the Apex.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I can can tell you that the Canik, P320, PPQ, and VP9 have much better triggers than the Glock, XD, or M&P. The PPQ is far and away the best, and the P320 and VP9 are tied for second, but a bit inconsistent from gun to gun. I would like to try the CZ P10, it's supposedly very good.

I think we've reached the point where the triggers have become what they always should have been. That the old guard hasn't kept up is institutional complacency. And I can't blame them, as sales are very strong. But the people who care to research for themselves and listen to more than Internet hype will likely spend their money on something a little nicer at the same price point. Heck, you can get a Canik for $150 less than a Glock, and they are surprisingly nice.

Exactly this, wish I wrote it.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Well, after completing and filing my taxes I'm not going to end up where I thought I would, so at the moment this will have to go on "the list" while I look at a more cost effective project to scratch my itch... Glock 17 Gen 3 bare slides are hard to come by right now and I've been spitwadding a .458 SOCOM upper for my SBR... if I could find a slide for the Glock I could at least finish and fit my Polymer80 frame...

I'd made up my mind for the P320, but alas it'll be a little out of reach yet, since bills come first, but got a good job lead on the horizon, so maybe not too far off!

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I've owned several versions of the M&P platform going back to 2007, which includes Pro models and Shields. I just picked up the m2.0 M&P, and have to say that it is the BEST out of the box M&P yet. I also own a custom competition Walther PPQ, and would say that with the exception of an uber-light trigger, the m2.0 M&P holds its own as seen in the results below. I do not own but have shot a couple of P320s that were loaned to me at the range and I have to say that it is a solid choice, but it just never became a choice of mine.

During my lunch hour, I was able to get 20 minutes in at the range today to shoot my first 100 rounds. Not a lot of time for setup and firing for 100 rounds, but I am more than pleased with the results.

These pics show the same target, which was shot at 12-yards offhand. The top group is 77 shots with varying rates of fire. The left and right rings were for 10-shot warm-ups on each and both had the same result... Sorry for the hand in front of the right hand ring. The bottom is a 3-shot group where I concentrated to see exactly how well the M&P would do, and I think you would agree that she is a keeper!

My recommendation is to pick up one of the m2.0 M&Ps soon and try it for yourself. Great pistol considering it is not even a Performance Center model or Apex upgraded.

Last edited:

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Shooting notes to the images above:

The trigger is no where near as light as any of my APEX upgraded M&Ps, but this is not necessarily a bad thing. The trigger hits a very distinct wall with no stacking, and it takes about 5lbs of pressure to break the wall, which feels like breaking glass. None of my light Apex M&Ps has such a distinct, crisp breaking wall. I like it!

The rear sight has an ever so slight right bias on the slide, and this did show up in the groups with a very slight rightward tendency for the groups, with the exception of the final 3-shot group, where I compensated a bit to get the perfect group. I will likely drift it just a tad to the left in the near future.

It may just be me, but this 2nd gen version of the M&P40 seems to have less muzzle flip than my 1st gen M&P40 Pro. I will have to to testing side by side between generations to know for sure. I also have to say that S&W finally did a grip better than any current pistol manufacturer... This gun just stays glued to the hand, even better than any pistol I've ever shot, bar none!

I really am having a hard time with this new M&P's lack of an auto-forward. All of my M&Ps and even my PPQ do an auto-forward with a firm mag insertion, and I actually prefer that. I am sorry to see that being designed out of the pistol.

Lastly, there were zero issues or malfunctions of any kind in the first 100 rounds down the pipe.

Final results:

• Great accuracy
    • Zero Issues
    • Better grips / better handling
    • Happy camper!

I'm sure that the Sig P320 can perform as admirably in the right hands, but for me, this is good enough!

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I've owned several versions of the M&P platform going back to 2007, which includes Pro models and Shields. I just picked up the m2.0 M&P, and have to say that it is the BEST out of the box M&P yet. I also own a custom competition Walther PPQ, and would say that with the exception of an uber-light trigger, the m2.0 M&P holds its own as seen in the results below. I do not own but have shot a couple of P320s that were loaned to me at the range and I have to say that it is a solid choice, but it just never became a choice of mine.

During my lunch hour, I was able to get 20 minutes in at the range today to shoot my first 100 rounds. Not a lot of time for setup and firing for 100 rounds, but I am more than pleased with the results.

These pics show the same target, which was shot at 12-yards offhand. The top group is 77 shots with varying rates of fire. The left and right rings were for 10-shot warm-ups on each and both had the same result... Sorry for the hand in front of the right hand ring. The bottom is a 3-shot group where I concentrated to see exactly how well the M&P would do, and I think you would agree that she is a keeper!

My recommendation is to pick up one of the m2.0 M&Ps soon and try it for yourself. Great pistol considering it is not even a Performance Center model or Apex upgraded.

Good shooting. It is nice to see someone review a pistol who can actually shoot up to its potential.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

Exactly. A factory striker fired trigger is only going to be so good. Most all of them are good enough to do what the gun was intended for. Don't believe me? Hand your factory gun to someone like Bob Vogel or any number of really good shooters and most people will be like, "man I didn't know my gun would shoot that well".

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Exactly. A factory striker fired trigger is only going to be so good. Most all of them are good enough to do what the gun was intended for. Don't believe me? Hand your factory gun to someone like Bob Vogel or any number of really good shooters and most people will be like, "man I didn't know my gun would shoot that well".

BINGO. Like the time I brought my guitar for Buddy Whittington to play at the Slippery Noodle. Dang, my guitar sounds GREAT!

The striker market it full of really good options, and it's really becoming unlikely that anything short of a Hudson H9 type of disruptor can distinguish itself.

Which saddens me for the P10c. Perhaps the one true "best" striker gun comes only after there are so many good options that nobody cares anymore.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana

That sounds like me when I finally got my first really good pistol (EAA Witness Elite Match)... I'd never been able to outshoot my dad (and probably still couldn't with a revolver), but that gun made me say "wow I didn't know I could shoot like that". I'd love to see what it could do in REALLY good hands... It started my bias towards CZ... Only Sig I've owned before was a surplus P6, which got replaced by a Beretta Cougar (that shoots well, and only slightly better than the no-frills P6), but I know many who swear by Sig, and the P320 and M&P both fit my hand better than a factory Glock or FN... After seeing the post above, my choice became muddier again, but I'll have plenty of time to think it over until I can scrape up the "discretionary" funds I need...
    Thanks for the great M&P review!

62chevyimpala

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    I've been shooting the M&P9 M2.0 for a week now. I've put 300 rounds through it. (My wife is starting to regret letting me get a membership to the range.)

Im drooling over your 12 yard grouping. I have so much work to do. Here's my 7 yard: IMG_2603.jpg

Top Bottom