• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Anyone happen to have one of these? I am pretty well set on an M&Pc, but which one is my problem (9mm vs 40). I won't know which one is for me until I 'feel' the recoil and can determine how fast I can make follow-up shots accurately.

I have shot and like the 9mm, but would like the ballistics of the 40. Anyone have one of these that I could test fire 10-15 rounds through. Willing to travel to do so and buy a beer or two afterwards :)

XLarge_SW%20MP%2040c.jpg

Last edited:

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I've got one and it is my carry piece for a significant portion of the year.

I have never shot the 9mm version, but I can tell you the .40 version is a joy to shoot. I don't have any trouble with recoil. I'm down in Evansville, so I'm probably a bit far for you.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have not shot a compact. However my Father has a 9mm, and .40 in fullsize. I personaly would go with the .40. Not saying 9mm will not do the job. I'm just a fan of the .40 for carry. They are great pistols.

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have not shot a compact. However my Father has a 9mm, and .40 in fullsize. I personaly would go with the .40. Not saying 9mm will not do the job. I'm just a fan of the .40 for carry. They are great pistols.

In a full size there is very little difference in follow-up shots to me - in a subcompact there may be and it's worth it to me to do the research before making up my mind. The difference between the Glock 26 and 27 is more pronounced to me. However, the M&P is a hybrid 3.5" barrel and may be better balanced for that load.

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    In a full size there is very little difference in follow-up shots to me - in a subcompact there may be and it's worth it to me to do the research before making up my mind. The difference between the Glock 26 and 27 is more pronounced to me. However, the M&P is a hybrid 3.5" barrel and may be better balanced for that load.

Since I have both a 9c an .40c you can shoot them side by side....

Buckaroo

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    I have a .40c myself and I think it is a wonderful shooter in .40. I have not shot the 9mm version, but it does not recoil more that other 9mm handguns that I have shot either. I was kinda concerned when I got it, but after shooting it I could not have been happier with the .40.

Crimson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 24, 2008
    Columbus, Indiana
    Have had my 40c for 2 years. Love the little gun. My favorite carry. Shoots great and I have never had a problem with it. If you ever get down columbus way, we can go shoot it.

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I've had my .40c for a little over 2 years and have had 0 problems in 700-800 rounds. I really enjoy shooting it. As far as follow up shots go the only ammo I've had a problem controlling was Hornady Tap 180 grain rounds. Everything else including hot reloaded 155 Grain Winchester hollow points were easily managed.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    My M&P 9mm compact has been flawless for the last 18 months. Very accurate, ,concealable and trustworthy. I load it with 115gr. +P Gold Dot HP.
    My wife likes it and is starting to hint about getting one to replace her S&W 642.:rolleyes:

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    tatters let me shoot his M&P 9c at the INGO Range and Picnic day and it was the best subcompact I have ever fired.

However, I never got to run a 40c and I prefer it's ballistics to the 9mm.

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Thanks to Buckaroo for allowing me to shoot both his M&P 9c & 40c - I learned a lot about which chambering I liked, why, and which one I fired better. We even did a little bit of ballistics testing on a few stacks of magazines with the 9, the 40, and the 45 :)

For me the 40c does have a bit more recoil and it is totally manageable. In fact, I shot the 40c with one hand better than I shoot the 9c with two hands! I just had to realize that the 40c snaps a bit to the right and to be more cognizant of it. My shot string in rapid fire mode (Point Shooting) was less than 4 inches at 10 yds. I'm certain I can cut that down significantly with more practice in that chambering.

Top Bottom